Prospective Versys owner (AUS) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Prospective Versys owner (AUS)

Hey fellas,

I've been trying to figure out if a Versys should be my next bike in four or five months, and you guys all seem to like yours, so figured I'd ask a few questions, (Versys specific and otherwsie) provided you guys don't mind.

However, this is the intro section, so I figure it'd tell you a little about myself and my ride first.

Still a pretty new rider, 20k km / 14k mi of (mostly) twisty excursions in the last 18 months, riding on a ninja 250. The roads I've come to enjoy are the tighter, more technical roads. Not saying I'm an amazing rider though, but that's where I seem to have most of my fun riding. It helps when the road is in the middle of nowhere!

I prefer riding by myself or in a small group, the riding time vs stopped time is usually best like that, done a couple of long-ish (650 km/450 mi) days that I've really enjoyed and would like to try more of sometime.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys sounds perfect from what you described above...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM

I agree with weljo.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Welcome. And I agree with s102000 who agrees with weljo.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Welcome. And I agree with s102000 who agrees with weljo.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

now that's a double dog dare ya,

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

It does indeed sound perfect!

When I started looking around, I was pretty keen on a duke 390 or 690, but the duke 690 is starting to push the budget, and maintenance costs will be higher also. I really enjoy my ninja because of its weight but overtaking at highway speeds needs a little bit of careful planning. Also in 4-5 months I'll be riding 2up. How much depends on the enjoyment of my potential pillion passenger.

The pillion would be my girlfriend, who has expressed an interest in tagging along, too! Better yet she's keen on weekend getaways. The price point of this bike (used) means I could probably spring for some luggage options, and I hope we might make a habit of getting out and about on the weekends - we're both average but keen photographers, so Its possible that this will develop into a really neat passtime for both of us. I'm considering camping for this to keep costs down. It may also help with the photography side of things.

2up camping setup is probably a discussion for later down the road (and there are a few threads on the topic I can look at first), but for now I just want to know if I can still enjoy a twisty road on a loaded Versys - something I haven't really been able to figure out so far. Not talking about anything too spirited, but with some experience can it be fun?

Thanks for the encouragement
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, you can still enjoy a fully loaded versys, I run when on long trips top box and side panniers and the odd peg scraping still occurs while I have that goofy grin on my face, I ride with people who have 150 to 200 hp bikes and the 62 hp versys has no problems keeping up through the tight twisty stuff.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Garage
G'day Dave, where you from? I'm at Coffs Harbour. The V loves twistys the tighter the better. Just this Monday I was keeping up with a couple of mates on a Ducati and a VT1000 through Lions Rd and Mt Lindsay. Great fun!

Turned over 20,000 km when I got home

Last edited by MaverickAus; 02-13-2014 at 03:54 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Try if you can to take some test rides on a few different models, especially with the lady. Her comfort is going to be key to an enjoyable ride. I test rode a Vstrom and a versys and really liked the versys for it's light weight and fleck ability, my wife doesn't like riding anymore. But I can see the strom being more for two up and loaded with camping gear.

Just my observation.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

I'm in Sydney and still on my L's.
If you are local - I don't mind you having a look at mine.

Big issue is that many dealers in Sydney did not have a Versys in Stock for me to even look at. I sat on many bikes in Nov last year at the Sydney Motorcycle Show... The Versys was not at the top of my list to see at the show - Actually I did not really consider it - It was the last bike I sat on as I was leaving the show and only for a minute.
It was not till I got home that I started looking into the Versys and used these forums as my tipping point over other bikes... That weekend I bought mine 2nd hand without even test riding one!

I am pretty impressed with it
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Welcome. And I agree with s102000 who agrees with weljo TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
... but for now I just want to know if I can still enjoy a twisty road on a loaded Versys - something I haven't really been able to figure out so far. Not talking about anything too spirited, but with some experience can it be fun?

My experience - YES!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:55 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
It does indeed sound perfect!

When I started looking around, I was pretty keen on a duke 390 or 690, but the duke 690 is starting to push the budget, and maintenance costs will be higher also. I really enjoy my ninja because of its weight but overtaking at highway speeds needs a little bit of careful planning. Also in 4-5 months I'll be riding 2up. How much depends on the enjoyment of my potential pillion passenger.

The pillion would be my girlfriend, who has expressed an interest in tagging along, too! Better yet she's keen on weekend getaways. The price point of this bike (used) means I could probably spring for some luggage options, and I hope we might make a habit of getting out and about on the weekends - we're both average but keen photographers, so Its possible that this will develop into a really neat passtime for both of us. I'm considering camping for this to keep costs down. It may also help with the photography side of things.

2up camping setup is probably a discussion for later down the road (and there are a few threads on the topic I can look at first), but for now I just want to know if I can still enjoy a twisty road on a loaded Versys - something I haven't really been able to figure out so far. Not talking about anything too spirited, but with some experience can it be fun?

i ride 2 up sometimes with luggage, kawa stock panniers i also have a Ventura rack installed which is handy for a back rest for the misses and more storage.

When you add the panniers you do notice it.... in the twisty and in straight lines the extra wind it catches and weight, its not so bad you would not use them, but the bike performs a little better with them off as would any bike.
With the misses and fully loaded turn in is not as easy with all the extra weight, but you get used to it, for the most part i pack the rear rack and only add the panniers if i need too, the mounting racks are never removed from the bike.

The Versys is a capable 2 up bike with luggage and racks installed, if you were both close to 6 foot it maybe a little crapped

Last edited by ggg; 02-14-2014 at 05:01 AM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Versys sounds like a great bike for you Dave! The Ninja 250 is worlds away as far as performance. I would recommend that you ride a VStrom as s102000 said, a Versys, an NC700x, a Tiger, a Tenere, and any other bike you can get your hands on. Also, as mentioned before, bring your girl along to get the feel.

This way, you can really get an idea of the spectrum and not make an impulse buy. I bought the Versys because I like the power it had over those other bikes in town. I take many long trips, but as an everyday rider, most of my time is spent between stoplights and trying to avoid dummies. So it was right for me, but from what you are saying, the Strom sounds more like the bike for you.

I also use the Versys for 2up riding, and my girlfriend is not a big fan of it. Of course I had a huge 0 degree cushy seat for her on my last bike...

Anyway, long story short, we can tell you that the Versys is a great bike because it is. I think it is the best bike around for the money. However, whether the bike is any good for you, I think you should get out and ride some.

The mark of an educated mind, is in the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM

I've also been looking at Versys these days. Gteamer listed off pretty much the handful of bikes I've had my eye on. Good to know.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

Picked up a hitchhiker - Koala wearing a Helmet!

Yeah I know it's a Dog.. HAHAHA
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Garage
That my friend is Bundy, the worlds fastest dog. 283 km/h at Phillip Island.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsac View Post
I've also been looking at Versys these days. Gteamer listed off pretty much the handful of bikes I've had my eye on. Good to know.
"Farkles" are where your money will be, that is if you have any intentions of riding these bikes very far or often. I would find the bike I liked the best, then try and find a slightly used one with as many bags, guards, and extras I could.

Dealers will tell you that they don't add value to the bike, so you might try that argument with a dealer. A personal seller might not agree with you, so be careful and let us know what you get!

The mark of an educated mind, is in the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode