New member needs help with new Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member needs help with new Versys!

Hi Guys.

I have been lurking around alot of Versys forums.... and now I want one bad!
Ok first a little about me. I have been riding over two years on a V Star 650 custom(2009), but I am 6' and 290 lbs so I want some more roll on speed and leg room.

Last week I test rode a 2008 V and a 2012 V. The 2012 blow me away! To be fair it already had a two brothers exhaust and rox speed fx risers( so no vibes at all!) After that my mind was set I want a versys 2012 or newer!

The 2012 with 1500 miles is $6738.52 OTD but they want my bike for $2800 trade.

I talked to two other dealers about a 2013. The problem is I want white which one dealer has but wont give me a good price on!

white 2013 $7890 OTD and $2500 for my trade or cash.
or (option 2)
blue 2013 $7862 OTD and $3000 for my trade or cash.

I wish I lived in irving(dallas, tx) they have the 2014's with abs for $8400 OTD

I am a veteran(USN) going to school now that I am out, and wont have much money for farkles if I get a new one.... But I would have a VERSYS!!

Please chime in with you thoughts. Are they good prices? I live in San Antonio, Tx. Which of the three would you pick?

P.S
Mods I know this my intro, but I also needed help please don't delete it. I hope I didn't break any rules

Last edited by DrumComp; 02-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM

I really wish I had ABS. Unless you are super proficient in panic braking and by proficient I mean using your best, most effective braking skills in a panic situation, then ABS will most likely stop you in a shorter distance.

I know I may be opening up a whole can of worms by bringing up ABS, but for me personally, my panic braking skills are still in panic mode, meaning I lock up the rear (thus increasing braking distance).

Any of the bikes will be great bikes, though. They're the same except for body color from 2010+. Get what you want that you can afford.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I am confident in my braking. I have had to do a few quick stops. However I too would like abs.... but for insurance purposes

Last edited by DrumComp; 02-05-2014 at 01:15 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
go by your thoughts and enjoy your ride.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fast
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 AM

Garage
Glad to hear you are considering a Versys. Its a good bike and truely versatile.

As for the farkles, it will come slowly so no worries there.

ABS is a safety equipment and if you have the cash, go for it. If not, then you must know yours and your bikes limits. If not mistaken ABS will also have a higher resale value later on when you upgrade.

Take time to learn the new machine and you will be fine.

Any which way you swing it, its still a good machine. Later on when you are doing much better, you can trade in and take the hit, if you are having the non ABS variant.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 AM

Garage
Mine has ABS and it doesn't impress me, I think it is a rather crude system.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 AM

I bought a new '12 Versys from the Kawasaki dealer in Universal City for $5795, $6316.62 OTD in October. There is a new '13, white on ebay now for $5,800 with no add on bs fees are charges.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I bought a new '12 Versys from the Kawasaki dealer in Universal City for $5795, $6316.62 OTD in October. There is a new '13, white on ebay now for $5,800 with no add on bs fees are charges.
How did you talk that old man down? He still has a 2012 with bags and wants 9,100 OTD. Needs less to say I walked out right then! (6,999 for bike and 1500 for bags)

How do you buy on ebay?? Guess I will go look. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Damn.... on ebay the listing says "BUYER MUST COME IN HOUSE TO PURCHASE".
I still might give them a call.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Get the blue one. Then you can upgrade the tires (Michelin Pilot Road 4) with money saved, and it'll be even safer than ABS with OEM tires.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's two cents worth of opinion from another San Antonio resident. First, which dealers did you visit? You mentioned the Universal City dealer; did you also check Woods Cycle Center in New Braunfels? When I was last there they had several brand new Vs though I can't remember if one was white.

Next, if my calculations are correct, the first 2012 you mentioned with the Two Bros (really loud) exhaust and risers strikes me as the best deal. $6379 - $2800 = $3939 out of your checkbook. You're going to save at least $923 compared with the other two options you mentioned by buying the bike with 1500 miles on the clock. Then add to that savings the value of the Two Brothers exhaust and risers that the previous owner thoughtfully added. Don't recall you mentioning the color of that bike however.

The white 2012 is the most costly at $5390 out-of-pocket while the blue 2012 ranks in between at $4862 out-of-pocket. If, that is, my math is sound.

I'd be interested in hearing which you finally decide upon - as another S.A. area Versys owner.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 02-05-2014 at 07:52 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumComp View Post
Damn.... on ebay the listing says "BUYER MUST COME IN HOUSE TO PURCHASE".
I still might give them a call.
Yep, I think it is a Kawasaki requirement. I was gonna fly out Space A to Andrews AFB and ride it back. I think he believed me.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Yep, I think it is a Kawasaki requirement. I was gonna fly out Space A to Andrews AFB and ride it back. I think he believed me.
Nice
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Here's two cents worth of opinion from another San Antonio resident. First, which dealers did you visit? You mentioned the Universal City dealer; did you also check Woods Cycle Center in New Braunfels? When I was last there they had several brand new Vs though I can't remember if one was white.

Next, if my calculations are correct, the first 2012 you mentioned with the Two Bros (really loud) exhaust and risers strikes me as the best deal. $6379 - $2800 = $3939 out of your checkbook. You're going to save at least $923 compared with the other two options you mentioned by buying the bike with 1500 miles on the clock. Then add to that savings the value of the Two Brothers exhaust and risers that the previous owner thoughtfully added. Don't recall you mentioning the color of that bike however.

The white 2012 is the most costly at $5390 out-of-pocket while the blue 2012 ranks in between at $4862 out-of-pocket. If, that is, my math is sound.

I'd be interested in hearing which you finally decide upon - as another S.A. area Versys owner.
Woods price is listed as the white one, the blue is
jk its Alamo cycleplex.

The one with the two brother is a yellow 2012 from destination cycles out in kerville.

I didn't list two other dealer I checked cyclerider (there behind the airport) has a dropped/scratched 2008 V for 3995 but 4600 OTD
There is a dealer in Victoria that has a yellow 2012 list $6614 but wants almost a grand more for it OTD with no wiggle room
as for Universal City they have a yellow 2012 listed for $6999 but wants $1500 for bags and the OTD was $9100 something
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Woods price is listed as the white one, the blue is
jk its Alamo cycleplex.

The one with the two brother is a yellow 2012 from destination cycles out in kerville.

I didn't list two other dealer I checked cyclerider (there behind the airport) has a dropped/scratched 2008 V for 3995 but 4600 OTD
There is a dealer in Victoria that has a yellow 2012 list $6614 but wants almost a grand more for it OTD with no wiggle room
as for Universal City they have a yellow 2012 listed for $6999 but wants $1500 for bags and the OTD was $9100 something
IMHO the Gen 2 yellow Versys is very nice looking as a stand-out and be noticed color. I've owned red, yellow, orange, white, black, green and blue bikes over the years and, although the orange was hard to look at sometimes, people never missed seeing it on the road. My white BMW R100S was beautiful but it had the habit of blending into its surroundings more than I liked. I'm admittedly a fan of bright colors. They've served me well over the years. And with no intent to offend anyone, I don't understand why black is such a popular color. Stealth fighters are good, but for bikes??

The two bikes we keep in San Antonio are bright red and seem to be noticed - even by Texas drivers!

The bike we keep in Maine (summer home) is BMW green, and when riding I probably blend into the background of trees except for the yellow jacket and helmet. It must look pretty strange to vehicle drivers. The saving grace, if there is one, is that there aren't that many vehicles in the part of Maine we're located. The probability is that I'd hit a moose or deer long before vehicles would become a problem.

Bottom line - I'd jump on the yellow with the value-added Two Brothers and Rox risers. The previous owner took the hit on depreciation and that's to your benefit as the $$$$ differences indicate. Good luck with whatever you decide. And please let us know.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 02-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Well destination cycles just called me and is offering me 3100 for my trade. New out of pocket price is 3619.77
Just $200 shy of my original target on the bike. Stupid $300 handling fee...
I dont know that want to ride (70 mi one way) in 38 degree again last time when I got home it was 31 degrees
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Well destination cycles just called me and is offering me 3100 for my trade. New out of pocket price is 3619.77
Just $200 shy of my original target on the bike. Stupid $300 handling fee...
I dont know that want to ride (70 mi one way) in 38 degree again last time when I got home it was 31 degrees
Sounds like a good deal to me. No friend with a pick-up or tow vehicle and trailer? For that matter, close the deal and wait for a warmer day to swap bikes.

BTW, the high in our part of Maine today is 15 and it's snowing lightly. It's all relative, isn't it? Good luck again.

Arion

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm Cool with the yellow.

I thought the 2013 only came in white, and blue. And if I had to pay new prices I didn't want the blue because it blends into cowling. and plus it made for a good sells point! especially since that was the only color Alamo had!

I got a pick up... just need to figure out how get in there since all my buddys are at work...

Last edited by DrumComp; 02-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

maybe ill just put on two sets of thermals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode