New member - interested in Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New member - interested in Versys

Greetings folks,

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Versys ("new" bike that's been sitting on the dealer floor for a while). I'm an older rider with bum knees, and my current ride, a FJR, is just getting to be too heavy and awkward for me these days. Especially since I'm spending a lot of time around town and on short trips, and not so much on the open road any more. The Versys looks to be more than 200 pounds lighter and a good deal narrower, and I never really found a use for all of the FJR's power anyway . . .

I haven't had the opportunity to ride a Versys, but I was able to spend some time on a DL650 V-Strom. I understand they are very similar in handling and "personality" - could someone who has ridden both confirm this? (At present, looks like I can get a much better deal on that Versys than I could on an equivalent V-Strom. Plus the Versys isn't quite as ugly as the Strom ) Riding position, seat height, wet weight, etc. look to be very similiar on paper, with the Versys being just a bit taller and a bit lighter. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks much for your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
Greetings folks,

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Versys ("new" bike that's been sitting on the dealer floor for a while). I'm an older rider with bum knees, and my current ride, a FJR, is just getting to be too heavy and awkward for me these days. Especially since I'm spending a lot of time around town and on short trips, and not so much on the open road any more. The Versys looks to be more than 200 pounds lighter and a good deal narrower, and I never really found a use for all of the FJR's power anyway . . .

I haven't had the opportunity to ride a Versys, but I was able to spend some time on a DL650 V-Strom. I understand they are very similar in handling and "personality" - could someone who has ridden both confirm this? (At present, looks like I can get a much better deal on that Versys than I could on an equivalent V-Strom. Plus the Versys isn't quite as ugly as the Strom ) Riding position, seat height, wet weight, etc. look to be very similiar on paper, with the Versys being just a bit taller and a bit lighter. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks much for your feedback!
Just got a leftover '12, love it. Got mine for $5,800 plus tax and title, no set-up or any other bs.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The versys is sportier than the wee-strom. There have been many journalists comparos between the bikes. Do a google search. To me the Versys is just so much more fun than the wee-strom, but if your into just cruising around and want more upright riding postion the wee-strom might be for you.

I added almost $4000 in extras on my Versys to make it my own personal street adventure bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Garage
I think you're right on track. The 2012 Versys is likely available at much better price than a Strom. The Versys is a more nimble (and yes, less ugly) machine. The Strom may offer more comfort for a long trip. Sounds like the needs you're looking to meet will be well satisfied by the Versys.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM

I can't remember where, but I saw one magazine article that called the Strom a "poor man's BMW GS" and the Versys a "poor man's Ducati Multistrada". Seemed about right to me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was looking at both. I ended up going with the Versys. It seemed a bit smaller, lighter and a bit lower than the wee-strom. Less ugly, too, LOL. With it's 17 inch front wheel (wee-strom is 19) it's more sporty.

I got rid of my '99 VFR for the same reason...I wanted something lighter for everyday use that was still comfortable for long trips. With the addition of Givi luggage and a Sargent seat, and the upright riding position, it is comfy.

Since I have a 30" inseam, I did lower it with Speedy's kit. I probably could have dealt with it, but the pegs are right where you put your feet down!

I'm loving it and looking forward to the upcoming riding season. For the first time in awhile, I can't wait to get the Versys out of the garage. The VFR was just too heavy, and the CBR 929 became too uncomfortable for me.

The Versys is a pleasure to ride and still sporty enough to satisfy my sportbiking background!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM

It sounds like you're looking for something light and nimble for cruising around town without having to hold up the Lusitania at a red light. As noted by others, the 17" front wheel makes the Versys a really nimble and maneuverable bike at low speed. The reduced weight will also make it a more friendly around town type. I spend almost all of my time on my Versys commuting around the urban jungle that is Manhattan, and for my money the Versys is the best full-size 'in-town' bike that there is. That said, with a 44 tooth rear sprocket to chill her out a bit in 1st gear and add some more highway legs, she's a peach in the highway scenario too. I originally wanted a V-strom; and while I'm assured they're pretty nice, I'm really very glad I wound up with the Versys!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Banned

You should have posted b4 Joe bought his FJR, you 2 could've done a deal.

Anyway Mr Anonymous, WTF do you live etc????
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
You should have posted b4 Joe bought his FJR, you 2 could've done a deal.

Anyway Mr Anonymous, WTF do you live etc????

Or he could just buy mine out right.........http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=47970

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Useful feedback folks, thank you.

Britmick:

I live in Accomack County on the eastern shore of Virginia, about 100 miles north of Norfolk, i.e, middle-of-nowhere, US East Coast version.

Weljo:

Nice bike! But on the wrong side of the country, I'm afraid.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in