New 2011 Versus - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up New 2011 Versus

It's my first Kawasaki EVER! I've had Honda cruisers, a 92 Fatboy, and my most recent is a highly modified 88 XR600 dual sport that has served me well for 3 1/2 years. But it's time to move up to something that doesn't have a kick start ONLY option I'm pretty excited, it is my first new bike since a 1985 VT700 Honda Shadow.
Here is the add in my local Craigslist:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcd/4301340503.html

I first saw it a while back on ADVRider and have been throwing around IF I might consider going for it. PLEASE tell me I made the right decision. It is set up with perfect tires for the Alaska roads and I am planning on taking up to Dawson City Canada for my 3rd D2D adventure. I should be picking it up within a week as I'm working nights until this coming Thursday morning
So what should I look for or consider doing to it to make it a more capable Alaskan dualsport? BTW I am 6'3" with long legs. Will it be cramped riding until I get some bar risers and foot peg lowering kit installed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the site. I did the same thing came of a 1993 xr600 dual sport. world apart these 2 bike miss the xr some times for rough roads

I installed a seat with the seat concept foam and cover on my bike made a world of difference. Did not need to go with the lowered foot peg brackets. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I have been looking at the vibration damping handle bar riser.

larger wind screen

What I have so far
seat concepts foam and cover
happy trails panniers and mounts
Home made rear rack with givi 46 liter box
PIAA head light bulbs
Cheap Led driving lights will upgrade soon to some thing better what I can find in the budget
SM motech crash cage for engine
Rear hugger fender
Michelin pr3 tires now I am going to try the pr4 tires
OEM power outlet with relay and OEM heated grips

My to do list in the future
Handle bar riser anti vibe
Hand guards Bark buster with storm covers
Larger kick stand foot print adapter
Highway pegs
Garmin zumo gps and anti vibration mount
RAM Mount Drink Cup Holder
Fuse block with relays for added accessories
New rear shock may try the yamaha r1 shock first with heavy spring added

Info on riser
http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Anti-vi...ANVB-HB-RS.htm
https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...structions.pdf

info on seat
http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...354&id=8826177

Last edited by Motojunkee; 01-25-2014 at 03:36 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 AM

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome...

I have a 2011 Versys and being 6'4" and even without trying to live with standard bar and pegs I bought Motowerks Anti vibration Bar riser, front foot peg lowering blocks, mirror extenders, and flat foot pad the same week I bought the bike!. It just made sense to get it all at once and not cry on postage to down under.

The a/v bar riser and foot pegs are really worth it. knee angle is better with the lowering pegs. I have only just got my M/C lic and have not done any long rides yet but my knees don't get sore like when sitting in a low chair.

You may as well get the mirror extensions as well. cheaper that others, and they really work. I can see behind me now.

Flat foot is also a no brainer and cheap. if you think you are going to stop on dirt or grass... then you will need this.

ATM my only grip is the windscreen on my V.
I have the Kawasaki accessory tall screen and I have only come to the conclusion tonight that it is the cause of all my helmet wind noise. I have been riding around for a week without the screen aka v-naked and it was sooooo much quieter. The screen on the highest setting still puts wind flow onto my visor above 70km/hr. I have yet to try the low-front/high-back setting to see it it throws the air over my head.

Farkles I have put on:
Radiator screen
Thermo-Bob
Pro-oiler electronic chain oiler
Healtech Shift Light Pro and soon a Gear Indicator
Pu55y Grip foam covers - also reduced vibration into hands, but helps fatten the grips if you have larger hands.

Farkles I'm Looking at:
Front fender extender
Rear Hugger
Koako Cruise control
Barkbusters
Heated grips
PDM60 Power Distribution Module - programmable electronic power relay

Farkle Yet to fit:
50W 10x LED Light Bar
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 AM
MTS

&

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM

You're in for a great time!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone! Here is a shot of her at the dealer:

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Wow. Looks like a good deal with that setup. What size/type is that front tire?

You might want to try the bike for awhile before you decide on ergonomic changes. I can't see needing an anti-vibe riser on mine. My grips aren't buzzy.

There's a custom seat maker who does a flat seat for the Versys. If it's cramped, that might give you more room.

Some of the mods that improved mine the most:
Custom shim stack in the fork
R1 shock
Oxford heated grips
MRA Touring windscreen

I also have Kappa engine guards which might be rebranded Givi bars--they look the same to me and Kappa is a lower cost Givi brand. I can't tell you that they're better than SW Motech or Hepco & Becker, but they're lighter, cheaper and they seem to work pretty well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Wow. Looks like a good deal with that setup. What size/type is that front tire?

You might want to try the bike for awhile before you decide on ergonomic changes. I can't see needing an anti-vibe riser on mine. My grips aren't buzzy.

There's a custom seat maker who does a flat seat for the Versys. If it's cramped, that might give you more room.

Some of the mods that improved mine the most:
Custom shim stack in the fork
R1 shock
Oxford heated grips
MRA Touring windscreen

I also have Kappa engine guards which might be rebranded Givi bars--they look the same to me and Kappa is a lower cost Givi brand. I can't tell you that they're better than SW Motech or Hepco & Becker, but they're lighter, cheaper and they seem to work pretty well.
Good to know thanks. For sure I will ride it as is for a while until I see what's needed in the ergo dept. BTW where can you get the Kappa engine guard from?
The front tire is a TKC-80 and probably a stock width from what it looks like. Probably just looks fatter because of the knobbys!

2011 ADVersys

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Jeff - here're three pics of the GREEN HORNET in Chicken after the 2013 D2D. It was a "bit" muddy on Top of the World...!

Suggest you get some hand-guards (mine are Zeta-XCs), and crash-bars and skid-plate (mine are SW-Motech from Twisted Throttle) for riding up there.

For ME - those are requirements, not options. Rubber is Metzler Tourance.

Good luck, and to a GREAT forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00432 copy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	40866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00433 copy.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	40874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00434 copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	40882  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
BTW where can you get the Kappa engine guard from?
The front tire is a TKC-80 and probably a stock width from what it looks like. Probably just looks fatter because of the knobbys!
I wondered if it was a 130 rear tire mounted in front.

I found the bars on ebay from this seller
http://www.ebay.com/usr/2nd-gear
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - here're three pics of the GREEN HORNET in Chicken after the 2013 D2D. It was a "bit" muddy on Top of the World...!

Suggest you get some hand-guards (mine are Zeta-XCs), and crash-bars and skid-plate (mine are SW-Motech from Twisted Throttle) for riding up there.

For ME - those are requirements, not options. Rubber is Metzler Tourance.

Good luck, and to a GREAT forum!
Thanks for the suggestions Ed BTW I made it to D2D 2013 as well..Didn't ride as far as you to get there but still had a BLAST on my ole trusty XR
Did you do the poker run IN THE MUD and RAIN? That was a crazy one for sure. Will you be attending this year? I am scheduled to go Lord willing

2011 ADVersys

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Garage

Welcome! Looks like a great deal on a new leftover. That's the best way to get one of these IMO. Cool that the dealer rolls it out with those knobbies too! Enjoy.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions Ed BTW I made it to D2D 2013 as well..Didn't ride as far as you to get there but still had a BLAST on my ole trusty XR
Did you do the poker run IN THE MUD and RAIN? That was a crazy one for sure. Will you be attending this year? I am scheduled to go Lord willing
Jeff - I just reviewed all my pics from Dawson, and wasn't able to see an XR in any of 'em, but I DID come up w/ these two that illustrate WHY I didn't do the "Poker-run-from-hell" in the mud.... We decided to "ride out the rain" sipping on Yukon Gold ale at the Midnight Sun, tho' our thoughts (and prayers...) were w/ all you wild-men out there, slippin' and slidin'!

Haven't made up my mind yet for D2D '14, but it's on my "short" list w/ a trans-Canada ride....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384 copy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	40906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00390 copy.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	40914  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - I just reviewed all my pics from Dawson, and wasn't able to see an XR in any of 'em, but I DID come up w/ these two that illustrate WHY I didn't do the "Poker-run-from-hell" in the mud.... We decided to "ride out the rain" sipping on Yukon Gold ale at the Midnight Sun, tho' our thoughts (and prayers...) were w/ all you wild-men out there, slippin' and slidin'!

Haven't made up my mind yet for D2D '14, but it's on my "short" list w/ a trans-Canada ride....
Funny, i was looking thru your ride report pictures and saw one of ME in the crowd...
I'm the goofy looking guy in the center of the picture wearing plad shorts........
Yeah baby

2011 ADVersys

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Funny, i was looking thru your ride report pictures and saw one of ME in the crowd...
I'm the goofy looking guy in the center of the picture wearing plad shorts........
Yeah baby
... and a GOOD time was had by all!

At least I can say that I SAW you. Pretty good 'grub' at the banquet....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode