New Guy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Guy

Hi,
I'm new here and all of this is happening really fast. I have been riding off and on for 50 years and have traded bikes a few times in the last 6 or 8 years. I am happy with my present ride, but looking for something to "tour" with. I travel light and like light bikes.

A fellow came by last week to pick up a part I was selling, and he was riding a Versys. It was pretty decked out and I couldn't help being attracted to it. I have shopped local adverts and hope to look at a couple and ride one tomorrow.

I usually buy used bikes that are cheap enough to buy with cash, but may be open to new. I would like to know the differences between 08's and the later models.

I'll let you know how this shakes out.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 PM
MTS

One of the funnest bikes I've owned!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 01-01-2014 at 05:52 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Mostly cosmetic changes and the second generation bikes have rubber mounted engine although many with first generation aren't bothered.

I think someone said the front brakes may be better on newer models due to a different master cylinder?

Any model is good though!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Any year is good ( The newer models are just uglier )

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for welcome and info. Can't wait to get out there and ride one.

Uglier. I know how that plays into it. For the longest time, I thought the "GS" style bikes were UGLY! But, many folks liked them and that style has now been around for a long time. Maybe I'm getting used to it, but the one (Versys) I saw the other day had lots of stuff and it was ok with me.

Now the panniers are another matter, still part of the "ugly". What is the big advantage?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckendall View Post
...I would like to know the differences between 08's and the later models....
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
...Mostly cosmetic changes and the second generation bikes have rubber mounted engine although many with first generation aren't bothered....
Pretty much says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
...I think someone said the front brakes may be better on newer models due to a different master cylinder?

Any model is good though!
The 2008 and previous models have a "square-ish" master cylinder, while later years have one that has some curves, and is MUCH better. EASY to change out, tho'. Here's a link: Dramatically improve your brakes for $100...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17772

Good luck!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, I test rode a 2012 and I was happy with it. Not at all like my tuned FZ1, but it is different bike. The process has begun to purchase a different 2012, but I am excited.

On my way home from the test ride, I thought about how upright the riding position was. Even my FZ1 is a little leaned forward which I like. I will try everything stock, but may look for different bars.

I didn't do much at highway speed, but it seemed that 80mph was about 6k. What do you guys cruise at anyway?

Thanks
Richard
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
What do you guys cruise at anyway?
Usually about 6k in 6th when going long distance. 6k is definitely a sweet spot. I've got a 44 tooth rear sprocket so my speedo is nearly dead on and no more searching for that elusive 7th gear as with stock gearing.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Now the panniers are another matter, still part of the "ugly". What is the big advantage?
The panniers give me the ability to carry what I want in a protected space. I like the 'tourer' look since all my bikes sans dual sport are ready for touring.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 AM

as a long time lerker and newby myself. Welcome to the Verys forum. I had a 2013 Ninja 650abs for last summer and it sounds like it similar to the Versys. I kept the Ninja at 6k for hwy speed (also to keep the "ECO" indicator on) and was happy to cruise at that speed which is around 135kph

Have not had much chance to ride my 2014 Versys but look forward to riding once it warms up somewhat (atleast has to be 10c/50f) wondering how the stock windscreen is.
i read its ok up to around 135kph/80mph ..true?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'll tell you folks that I am quite pleased with the new bike (2012). I rode it around town for a few miles and then did my local twisties at very moderate pace. After that, I figured the break-in was over and went on to more serious stuff.

The bike did great, even keeping it under 7k. It does need to be above 4k and it is better at 5k, but certainly willing. As I got more comfortable and the tires got scuffed in a little, I became more aggressive. The bike really likes to lay over. I love it.

Anyway, that's the update.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000120.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	39817   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000123.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	39825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in