Looking at test riding a 650 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking at test riding a 650 Versys

New member here

I am looking at a 650 versys, and a NC700X,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
IF you ever do rides where you strap camping gear on, be SURE to see how the gas filler is on the Honda.

Oh - and WELCOME!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM

If what you enjoy about riding is riding....then you'll like the versys hands down.

Lovin every minute of it!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM

I almost sold my V for an NC700X. I could not justify the loss of $ to scratch that itch. If my Versys were stolen, not sure which one I would replace it with but I would revisit the Honda and consider.

I test drove the Honda and for my kind of riding it would serve my needs. It is a different machine (performance) and if you are unsure of which, you need to ride them both. The Honda was peppy enough for me but the Versys does win hands down with punch. The Honda does have the nice Frunk (front trunk) for storage without cases.

If you like a quiet smooth ride and are not seeking speedy takeoffs every time, the Honda may do fine for you. The NC700X does not rev much in comparison to the Versys. Don't get me wrong, the Honda easily gets up to highway speeds and cruises there quietly and efficiently. If you like to get on it frequently, the Versys delivers plenty performance and fun past legal limits. IMHO, the Versys excels over the Honda in the curves as it pulls harder out of the turns.

The overall feel of both are quite similar both in size and weight.

Good luck in your search!

Ride Safe!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM
MTS

&

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Ride 'em both. The Honda is probably smoother, but with less torque. I think the V wins in twisties convincingly. They're both good commuters and reliable.

Disclaimer: My opinion is from owning a V and only reading several reviews of the Honda. Plus, every time I walk into my garage and see my V, I think, "Dang, that's a sweet bike!" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 AM

Ride a Versys. Most fun I've had on a bike in a long time.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgl View Post
New member here

I am looking at a 650 versys, and a NC700X,
Go to motorcycle.com or motorcycle-usa.com and read the reviews for both. A comparison was also done between them along with the VStrom. The Honda's shifting is short, less power but better mpg and more stoage. Other than that, the V beats it in every way, IMHO. I have a 2013 "Ebony n Ivory".

Test ride them both if you can. I found it hard to test ride bikes when I was in the marrket to buy. In the end, the only thing that will matter to you is how you feel about the bike.

Good luck, always gear up and ride safely!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
IF you ever do rides where you strap camping gear on, be SURE to see how the gas filler is on the Honda.

Oh - and WELCOME!
What I meant by the above - as the gas filler requires removing (...part of...) the seat on the Honda, IF you have gear strapped on you'll have to remove it each time you refuel.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 AM

welcome

aside from mpg, I think the versys stomps all over the nc700 but it depends on the rider's priorities

in summary...

the nc700 is practical and styled better but lacks a certain fun factor
I had to pass on it due to the 6,500 redline alone, just not my thing

despite not being a standout in any obvious way, the versys is just a fun ride
somehow more fun than it deserves to be, greater than the sum of its parts

good luck!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What I meant by the above - as the gas filler requires removing (...part of...) the seat on the Honda, IF you have gear strapped on you'll have to remove it each time you refuel.
You really don't remove part of the seat, the passenger portion easily hinges up to expose the fuel filler cap underneath. It is much easier than removing the seat on the Versys. If memory serves me correctly, inside the frunk, there is a lever to pop the rear seat up (just like popping the panel open on most cars).

You are quite correct in that any gear must be removed from the rear seat of the Honda to re-fuel.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
I had to pass on it due to the 6,500 redline alone, just not my thing
I am curious if you actually rode one or passed just because of the spec sheet?

I completely agree the Versys has more punch but the Honda has enough get up to keep up with the skills of most riders I know, myself included. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the throttle on the Hondas Automatic transmission version (in sport mode).

If you are more of a sport rider and not simply commuting or leasurely riding with friends, the Versys would be my recommendation as well.

(Edit) Forgot to mention that the Honda is VERY quiet. It purrs at idle almost can't hear it 10 feet away.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 12-13-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added (Edit)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I am curious if you actually rode one or passed just because of the spec sheet?
I sat atop the NC700 when I bought the V before I really knew the specs, and while I liked the ergos and styling, I had pretty much already decided on the V

So I did not get to test ride the NC unfortunately...I just know myself in regard to 1) I would never choose the automatic model and 2) the cruiser-like redline would frustrate me too much as I greatly enjoy spirited takeoffs and winding the bike out rather than short shifting up to speed (plus I already own a honda xrl which already sacrifices lots of power in favor of utility)

I'm not a particularly speedy fella or hooligan by any means, but I would say...I'm the type of guy that rides my bikes without regard to mpg and the NC was engineered with mpg as THE prevailing objective
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
I sat atop the NC700 when I bought the V before I really knew the specs, and while I liked the ergos and styling, I had pretty much already decided on the V

So I did not get to test ride the NC unfortunately...I just know myself in regard to 1) I would never choose the automatic model and 2) the cruiser-like redline would frustrate me too much as I greatly enjoy spirited takeoffs and winding the bike out rather than short shifting up to speed (plus I already own a honda xrl which already sacrifices lots of power in favor of utility)

I'm not a particularly speedy fella or hooligan by any means, but I would say...I'm the type of guy that rides my bikes without regard to mpg and the NC was engineered with mpg as THE prevailing objective
Good points! And you are pretty spot on, I was just curious.

Ride safe!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Good points! And you are pretty spot on, I was just curious.

Ride safe!!
Thanks, you too man.

I actually really wanted to take the NC out for a ride that day. When I found the V I wanted (a mfgr incentivized/discounted '11 leftover), I was thrilled to find the dealer had both the manual and dct NC's just in too. I'd always go for the manual but just getting to SEE them both up close was cool as hell. The NC was on my radar big time when I bought the V.

Though the V was ultimately sort of preordained for me at that point, I spent a LOT of time looking the NC over, sitting on it several times, just checking it out up and down. I spent all my time checking out the V, NCs, and a couple Stroms sitting there. It's funny, they had all of the bikes I liked sort of shuffled off in a dark corner no one ever visits while the cruisers, sportbikes, and tourers occupied all of the prime floor space. The salesmen probably rubbed their eyes in disbelief that someone finally wanted to take home their sad and homely Versys.

Tell you what, if the NC was designed on par with the Versys, I could have been easily swayed I think. Especially being brand new at the time, hardly any on the road yet, I preferred the styling, etc. To go a step further on that theme, it just about killed me when I first heard about Yamaha's FZ-09 back in June of this year. Standard ergos, more power, AND lighter? Sign me up!

While I still lust after the FZ-09, I also appreciated the Versys all the more once I began reading the reviews. The FZ is still a very attractive proposition to me, but reading about the apparent missteps with fueling and suspension was a bit of a revelation. It also looks tiny and I look like a bear on a bicycle on anything that isn't tall and/or full sized. I don't consider the V a standout in any particular area but I'll be damned if the thing isn't fun to ride. It's sort of a sleeper in that sense...a relatively tame bike that turns nimble and lively when you crack the whip. Not beastly, but certainly lively.

Have a good weekend!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here's the link to a thread I started after doing an extensive test ride on an NC700X...
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20316

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Versys has a higher center of gravity and higher seat which you will quickly acclimatize to. Honda has very low center of gravity which is nice. Every other trait (braking, handling, adjustable suspension, engine power) the Versys wins hands down except fuel economy. My advice is what ever bike you think you like spend as much time as possible riding it. First impressions can sometimes be misleading.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
MAy the best bike win you over.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:14 AM

I've tried both , they are different . The low rev limit of the NC threw me at first but it is a nice lil bike and a much smoother motor . The Versys is definitely the more exciting of the 2 . The need to unload your passenger area is a no go for me since I tend to carry a lot of stuff on my bike and I am in the market for a backup bike to my connie . I look at the NC as a scooter that's finally grown to adulthood , well mannered and practical . The Versys it the 50 year old hooligan that quite hasn't shaken the happy go lucky fun seeking of his youth ...dang that sounds like me .
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 PM

I came from a supermoto background and was similarly contemplating between the NC and the V. The months leading up to my sale I've seen many new NCs being sold as used. Reason for which I suspect is due to the low power but the owners that sold them never gave a reason behind their sale. The claimed power on the NC is not far off my Drz, bike weight added into the equation.

Seeing something not right I started looking at the V instead. It seems that most riders gave a positive review on this bike which helped me decide on getting a used 2010MY. However I must say politely that those who said this bike is flickable may have never ridden any SUMO before because as far as I can tell, 4 months in and I'm still missing my drz.

To use an analogy, the drz is like a civic type R, the V is like an honda accord. Just a car/bike that gets you to places. Not like a drz which puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it, until I get pulled over by the cops for excessive modification. Lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode