KLR rider Likes the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLR rider Likes the Versys

I've been interested in the Versys for some time now & hope to add one to my stable. Love the KLR & won't get rid of it but, a Versys might be the ideal road bike for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm in the Carroll County area of West Tennessee. If anyone in my neck of the woods likes to ride, drop me a line & we'll get some very important motorcycle riding done!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I replaced my KLR with the Versys and a KLX250S. I just couldn't justify the beastly KLR650 for off road and the Versys for the street. I felt like they overlapped too much.

The KLR650 can do most of what the Versys can legally do. The versys can comfortably travel at higher speeds and shred the curves a little faster, as well as quicker acceleration.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Great video's &

As someone has already said, the KLR is too close to the Versys to warrant having both bikes, & if you like to go blacktop to the forest sections a lot, you will leave the Versys at home, & after owning all of the bikes I am discussing, I would recommend a Versys & a DRZ400.

Happy Trails!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Welcome aboard,
I think you'll find there are quite a few Versys owners who have moved over from a KLR, I'm one of them. I wish I had kept the KLR just because it was so much fun but the fact is, for what I do, the Versys fits better. Even though they overlap alot, 95% of my riding is on the road but I still miss the "coolness" of the KLR, it's just very raw, like riding to work on horseback.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Welcome enjoy the ride
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Great video's &

As someone has already said, the KLR is too close to the Versys to warrant having both bikes, & if you like to go blacktop to the forest sections a lot, you will leave the Versys at home, & after owning all of the bikes I am discussing, I would recommend a Versys & a DRZ400.

Happy Trails!
I've got a 450 KTM (non-plated) for serious of roading & it blows the KLR away in the woods. However the short maintenance intervals of the KTM have me putting many more hours on the KLR as it is still a hoot in the woods.

I live in rural Tennessee & have a group of riding buddies on 650 dual sports, so I can't see myself selling the KLR unless Yamaha answers my prayers & builds a dual sport based on the 700 Raptor, with a modern suspension & 6 speed tranny.....Or perhaps Kawasaki builds a legitimate off road version of the Versys.

I have a bad knee & need the upright position of a dirt bike/adv/standard. There isn't much offered here in the states & the Versys is what's catching my eye right now. I do like the FZ-09 but, I'm afraid too much power will get me into trouble.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Love my versys, can't see ever not having one, but picking up a klr tomorrow for another commuter/trails etc. The KLR is hard to pass up for the money, mods, mechanical ease and history. I think the versys will always be my go to commuter bike though. Better than anything else I've ridden with a few mods. I just wonder how different handling is between the two????

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTX View Post
Love my versys, can't see ever not having one, but picking up a klr tomorrow for another commuter/trails etc. The KLR is hard to pass up for the money, mods, mechanical ease and history. I think the versys will always be my go to commuter bike though. Better than anything else I've ridden with a few mods. I just wonder how different handling is between the two????
Night and day...! ('04 KLR to '08 V)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 PM

I have the set-up you're looking at a 2009 KLR 650, The Fat Little Pig! & a 2012 Versys. They make a good team to me. the KLR will haul ANYTHING almost ANYWHERE....just a bit slow. The versys takes care of the road work while not carrying a bit less it will do so much fast. The KLR reminds me of a older Pickup truck, you knew you were in a truck and it rode that way, a bit rough. The versys is more like a sport sedan nice and comfy BUT not really a off-road bike.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have the set-up you're looking at a 2009 KLR 650, The Fat Little Pig! & a 2012 Versys. They make a good team to me. the KLR will haul ANYTHING almost ANYWHERE....just a bit slow. The versys takes care of the road work while not carrying a bit less it will do so much fast. The KLR reminds me of a older Pickup truck, you knew you were in a truck and it rode that way, a bit rough. The versys is more like a sport sedan nice and comfy BUT not really a off-road bike.
So true!!! Picked up the KLR today and had the same grin I do with the versys... And they are so different, but definitely a great team!!!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So true!!! Picked up the KLR today and had the same grin I do with the versys... And they are so different, but definitely a great team!!!

Congrats on the new bike! NOW get to work all those Farkles!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks! And I'm all over it 😃

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! And I'm all over it 😃...
FIRST KLR farkle (EVEN w/ the new ones) - replace the Doohickey AND the spring (get the "torsion spring"). Eagle Mike sells 'em.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FIRST KLR farkle (EVEN w/ the new ones) - replace the Doohickey AND the spring (get the "torsion spring"). Eagle Mike sells 'em.
Second, thermo-bob !

LOP
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

The current iteration of the KLR uses a single piece engine balancer adjustment lever and are
not commonly know to be subject to failure from breakage. A new KLR is generally fine until the engine balancer adjustment lever no longer has sufficient adjustment capability after about 8-10K miles of use the engine balancer system will begin to get noisy.

IMO it is a must do upgrade but no necessarily the first addition to a new bike.

My priorities were crash bars/skid plate/center stand (don't drop the bike in the dirt without it),
luggage & tires then ride the heck out of it.

Then definitely do the engine balancer adjustment lever & torsion spring upgrade.

The so called "need" for a thermo-blob (in winter conditions) is evidenced by the percentage of installs on the KLR's

If the bike is to be ridden by a heavy rider and/or loaded a rear spring upgrade is in order to restore rear suspension travel and ride height.

FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26226_112423972109164_3177060_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	39290   Click image for larger version

Name:	26226_112425652108996_6462888_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	39298   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0060.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	39306  

Last edited by Seeya; 12-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM

I'm not at all bothered by the doohickey, an Eagle Mike replacement with torsion spring is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. One of the things that keeps me from buying a KLR is the oil burning issue. I had an 06 KLR which I loved, it never used a drop of oil, matter of fact I've only owned one vehicle that used any oil at all. Constantly adding oil would bug the crap out of me, especially with a brand new bike. I don't chance getting one because I just know it would eat away at me. As soon as I hear they have changed the ring or piston design, I'll be back onboard with a KLR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode