Versys production/distribution/import data? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys production/distribution/import data?

Hi- New forum member here.

I have a question, but also wanted to post in this "intro" section. By way of introduction, I'm mostly a question-asker; I want to be productive; I don't flame and don't expect any in return. So if you have credible responses to my questions, please reply.

Otherwise, I won't be here to chew the proverbial fat but do enjoy reading others' posts. I'd rather be riding or working. I have been "lurking" here just today. This is the fastest I've ever decided to join a forum dedicated to a specific model. I don't know whether this is a statement about my high opinion of the Versys or my appreciation of this forum, but I'd consider it a compliment just the same.

Question:
Does anyone know where I can find the production/global distribution numbers for the Versys by country (all years, preferably)? I'd like actual data, although these numbers might be relative by region (such as UK, EU, etc).

That is, I'd like to find a table or spreadsheet breaking down how many Versys units have been imported and then sold in all the countries to which it has been distributed, thus far. If we could even have the ranges of serial numbers and color options delivered to said countries, that would be great.

After a few quick searches, I can't seem to find this basic information anywhere, but I bet someone here has it or might be interested in helping me dig it up.

Will post follow-up questions as well. Cheers.

Last edited by dyad; 07-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyad View Post
Hi- New forum member here.

I have a question, but also wanted to post in this "intro" section. By way of introduction, I'm mostly a question-asker; I want to be productive; I don't flame and don't expect any in return. So if you have credible responses to my questions, please reply.

Otherwise, I won't be here to chew the proverbial fat but do enjoy reading others' posts. I'd rather be riding or working. I have been "lurking" here just today. This is the fastest I've ever decided to join a forum dedicated to a specific model. I don't know whether this is a statement about my high opinion of the Versys or my appreciation of this forum, but I'd consider it a compliment just the same.

Question:
Does anyone know where I can find the production/global distribution numbers for the Versys by country (all years, preferably)? I'd like actual data, although these numbers

That is, I'd like to find a table or spreadsheet breaking down how many Versys units have been imported and then sold in all the countries to which it has been distributed, thus far. If we could even have the ranges of serial numbers and color options delivered to said countries, that would be great.

After a few quick searches, I can't seem to find this basic information anywhere, but I bet someone here has it or might be interested in helping me dig it up.

Will post follow-up questions as well. Cheers.
I would believe that would be proprietary information that Kawasaki has and the are not eager to divulge it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM

canadian stats

there is a web site by the motorcycle and moped industry council in Canada with about the only statistics I know of. They are not brand specific, only by catagory

http://www.mmic.ca/content.asp?ContentId=1058

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 PM

I must agree with dallasdon, Kawasaki would keep very specific information like that private, as it would be valuable information in the hands of their competitors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

data

Yes, the current year would certainly be proprietary, but I've been hoping that historical data, even though it only goes back to 2007, might be available for the Versys. It would be an interesting data set, given the geographical distribution changing over these first few model years.

I would think that some indication could be gleaned from registrations and titles being issued by state/country governments, and then might bear on the insurance industry as well. I could be wrong, but I believe these figures are gathered historically to estimate values and insurance rates for cars, at least.

Since the Canadian report only provides data broken down by category (not by model), then it must not be publicly available data in general (*thanks for the link to the www.mmic.ca site, scooter650!). Their brief report does have interesting categorical graphs of data 2001-2008: http://www.mmic.ca/images/content/PD...%20Summary.pdf

Some of the best indicators of countries where the Versys has been sold could come from right here, in the "member intro" pages, where many owners say where they're located.

Maybe I can set up a survey here, or use the Registry pages as a start to begin collecting data, just to get some estimates. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by dyad; 07-29-2009 at 12:12 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM

dyad- why do you want this information so badly? what is your intended use for it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
dyad- why do you want this information so badly? what is your intended use for it?

Exactly! It's very suspicious to me. It's not good to show up & ask questions like this with no explanation. I think you, dyad, need to be a little more forthcoming with info about yourself & your group, and why you want this info.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM

I would agree on that as well Bear. I think Most guys just want a versys for a long time..then show up after buying one (me) and have questions on how to make it coooooler. or who has the buzz fixing resolutions. You guys remember that suspicious guy in will wonka?? no disrespect Dyad. But these may be questions you should be asking kawasaki about....if you do....can you ask them to fix the buzz next year?

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Sounds fishy to me as well.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM

Well, I know of one sale in Cape Town, South Africa, in August 2008. Does that help?

"Only dead fish go with the flow"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Well if he gets the info, I'd like to see it as I'm about to start marketing my Versys Center Stand. It's a totally new design.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

wow

Wow- suspicion is so easily aroused! I can understand it, and in the spirit of openness I'll explain. And, even though I typically avoid emoticons, I'm going to use them just this once so as to be even more entertaining.

First, you might find that you can corroborate my story, limited though it may be, at this other thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4502

Of course, the conspiratorial mind could conjure up a "story" with a good "back story" but I won't go there, but rather explain further.

I am in the predicament of needing to move overseas for my work. This is also somewhat corroborated by my "location" (above right, which was just me being honest), as I am currently in-between homes; I live in Vermont now and another country about 5 weeks at a time.

You might be asking, what is your work? (Spy?) Well, if I told you I'd have to muzzle you... or worse! No really, I'm currently a statistics professor at a small college, but will be moving back to more administrative affairs which will be international in scope, basically working with small colleges around mathematics teaching. If you want even more of my story, then I'm going to get suspicious of you!

Anyway, as you can perhaps imagine (if you believe I'm innocent), I'm really truly personally interested in data (in general), and particularly in geographical data, and the Versys has an interesting "geographical story" to tell so far. I remember reading with interest in Cycle World that there was a clamor to get the thing sold in the US to begin with, so it would be interesting just to know just how many were sold in the first US year versus in Canada and Europe, etc.

"Hmmm," you might be saying, "is this guy going to publish his findings in some rarified academic journal?" (Probably not, I'd rather be riding!)

I'm a bike nut too, so of course I want data about my new favorite bike just for the hell of it... (I know, I'm trying to ingratiate myself to you Versys lovers and afficionadoes... or would you rather be called "well-versys'd" ?)

I'll stop poking fun after this response. But you are asking for it if you really think this is some industrial spy syndicate using your forum as a jumping-off point... don't you think if I had any clout I'd just go steal the data like they do in all those movies?

If you read the other thread, I'm actually trying to weigh the options of selling my bike with being able to buy another in my eventual country of residence. I'd like to know: (a) if the Versys is available, and in what countries, and if so (b) how many are there (widely available, or only a few, in said country), and even which colors, etc. are available if possible. I may try my best to ship my bike(s) overseas, and that would be an adventure in itself! Or, I may need to sell mine, and then still need to buy from a nearby country and transport it somehow to my new home.

I don't exactly know at this point, but having a worldwide database of this data would help me figure it out. Even if you aren't a statistics professor, wouldn't you like to see these numbers, too?

I also analyze every big step in my life, almost to death; at this point I even get pleasure out of it . Sorry if you can't understand that. I'm not trying to be insulting. OK maybe I am, but it's actually me trying to explain that I tend to over-analyze things. Most people would probably just sell the bike, move, and buy something else.

By the way, before putting in my question here I actually called a few worldwide dealerships listed on Kawasaki's website, and they usually just told me whether they have sold any or not, a few told me how many, or if they intend to sell any next year, etc... If not, they were pretty open about their hopes and intentions to sell the Versys. But then of course those are just the dealers... Hm, I might just have to call corporate headquarters next... but will have to cloak my voice and set up a fake website and then I can sell the data to the highest bidder... gotcha, huh!?

I hope you can take my jibes with a grain of salt... but it does strike me that considering how many of you chimed in, my reaction thusfar is typical me. I spend most of my time being ganged up on by students! I always redouble my response to any onslaught. And, I don't take being ganged up on lightly!

I hope that's enough for you. Cheers, it's past my beer time.

I feel so... You'll now have to collectively decide whether you feel ashamed of yourselves, now or ever... But no need, this just proves what I tell my students all the time, "data is everywhere, even though it's surprisingly controversial to know the truth." Believe it or not, I really do talk that way in my lectures. Welcome to my world. Can you see why I usually limit myself to questions on any forum like this?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the explanation, and for taking the high road by not just telling us to 'piss off'. You have to admit though, a new member shows up, asking for numbers info, including serial numbers & colors, without an explanation, it's bound to ruffle a few feathers. I was in the military for awhile, & work for them now as a civilian. You are exactly the kind of person we're taught to be suspicious of!

Besides, you type far to intelligent to be the average forum member, so I was naturally suspicious! I have a hard time putting together a simple sentence with one & two syllable words, much less paragraphs full of 'em! I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this. And the funny truth is, probably none of us have the info you're looking for.

With that being said, please allow me to say, welcome professor!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Thanks for the explanation, and for taking the high road by not just telling us to 'piss off'. You have to admit though, a new member shows up, asking for numbers info, including serial numbers & colors, without an explanation, it's bound to ruffle a few feathers. I was in the military for awhile, & work for them now as a civilian. You are exactly the kind of person we're taught to be suspicious of!

Besides, you type far to intelligent to be the average forum member, so I was naturally suspicious! I have a hard time putting together a simple sentence with one & two syllable words, much less paragraphs full of 'em! I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this. And the funny truth is, probably none of us have the info you're looking for.

With that being said, please allow me to say, welcome professor!

I agree with you completely, Bear.

Dyad, sorry about the "Sounds fishy to me" comment but I'm suspicious of everything on the internet and your post sent up a red flag.

If you want to go riding before you leave the country let me know. I'm in the Waterbury area.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 PM

Dyad,
I am not sorry about asking why you wanted the information and your intended use for it as I work for Kawasaki Motors Mfg. and having just had about 350 people laid-off from my plant, I am a little sensitive about things that could negatively affect Kawasaki as a company. You seem intelligent and I'm sure you can understand.
That being said, your explanation seems legit and your questions are for the right reason. Because you love this bike, as we all do, and want to be able to continue ride one in whichever country you move to.
I suggest you contact KHI at:
http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/inq...anation_e.html
Perhaps they will be able to answer some of your questions regarding availability in different countries.

If your travels bring you through Nebraska, feel free to contact me and we can ride.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM

very well put Mr.Mawson. And Dyad, if you come thru iowa to ride...i will gladly join you

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM

dyad - I think that's the most entertaining post I have ever seen on this forum. You should have added a cheery "piss of anyways" at the end - I wouldn't have been offended, then again, I wasn't suspicious either...I wish you well in your move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode