Hello from thailand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from thailand

Will be moving here for six months in every year soon, the rest of the time I am in Portugal. I have a Buell Ulysses in Portugal but may well be getting a Versys 650 for my time in Chiang Mai. Kawasaki build stuff here so it makes sense to get one of their bikes thus avoiding import duty. Was considering a KLR650 but I think the Versys is probably a better bike. Is it a better bet than the ER6 to travel big distances on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The versys in my opinion is a better bike than er 6 for distances and it will be cheap to buy a versys in Thailand I guess to.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM

I did 5600 miles on a 19 day trip a year back... all pavement. In my humble opinion it's great for long distances.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

I had a KLR & it s a great bike for short blacktop travelling (although some people do travel 100's miles a day on them!) but excels at the gravel/dirt/light rock offroading, but is not a serious offroader.

The Versys is good on blacktop & can handle some gravel, but is not an offroader in any way!

You need to consider the type of riding that you'll be doing around Chiang Mai, because the KLR could be the better option.

PS...

Last edited by Britmick; 11-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Well, the Versys certainly isn't cheap in Thailand at 313,000 baht (about USD$ 10,500). Although made in Thailand the greedy Thai government still taxes them heavily. The Versys sells for $8000 in the US .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragpicker View Post
Well, the Versys certainly isn't cheap in Thailand at 313,000 baht (about USD$ 10,500). Although made in Thailand the greedy Thai government still taxes them heavily. The Versys sells for $8000 in the US .
There's gotta be a market there to import "slightly" second hand 'bikes!?!?!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
In September 1969 I bought Thailand's first ever Kawasaki H-1 500cc triple while stationed at Udon Thani. It cost me $1000.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Yeah, there's been a 2nd hand market in Thailand for many years... these imports are also heavily taxed. To cut down on these costs the bikes are brought in as parts and reassembled locally...not good. I've owned a number of imports over the last 28 years I've lived in Thailand. This import market is drying up as more larger cc motorcycles are manufactured in Thailand. Kawasaki has been leading the way! Honda (of course) has also jumped on the bandwagon making the CB500 in Thailand as of 2013. A few Ducati's are also made here, though out of my price range.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Ragpicker. That price is good. In USA bikes are cheap compared to everywhere else. I aim to do the whole of Thailand and a fair chunk of Laos and Cambodia. Been there?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
A few Ducati's are also made here, though out of my price range.
Tell us more on which models are produced there......that will burst the bubble of a few Ducatinista's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode