SoFL big/tall rider recently became Versys owner. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SoFL big/tall rider recently became Versys owner.

Greetings, and thank you for all the info I've been able to glean from this forum thus far.

After five happy years of riding a KLR650, I recently moved from overseas to Miami and realized I needed something a little more street oriented. This evening I became the happy owner of an '08 Versys, and immediately began combing the forum to identify the mods I need to do.

By way of background, I'm a 6'5", 260lb rider, who often rides two-up, and/or with luggage, so I'm trying to isolate mods needed for the additional height/weight. I don't plan to do any gravel/off road in the future, but I would like to make the small bike feel a bit more like my KLR in terms of rider ergos.

I've been reading about a 2" up/ 2" rear saddle from Baldwin, but all I see on their website is a 1"U/1"R. Can anyone tell me what is the tallest option available? If there was a 3"U/3"R option somewhere, I would go for it, but I know that's probably not the case.

Any other pointers concerning mechanical mods (the '08 is stock and at 11,000 miles), peg lowering, shock adjustment/replacement, baggage, etc, would be most welcome. I'm not trying to shortcut the system, rather I plan to spend the better part of the coming week researching this form and others. But if any big/tall riders want to chime in, it would be most appreciated as well.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Welcome, napnaje, to Florida and to Versysland.

Miami, huh! First, a good horn!

I'm based near Jacksonville; 6'-3", 250-pounds, 32-inch inseam; rarely ride two-up.

Check out bar risers and peg-lowering blocks machined by Speedy at MotoWerks, www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys_c2.htm. Great products and customer service.

Check out saddles from Terry Adcox at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-650...4854c9&vxp=mtr. Adcox is a retired Kawasaki dealer and works out of his garage in central Tennessee. Again, great product and a nice guy with whom to deal.

Both have made my riding much more comfortable.

As far as bags, my needs are likely to differ from yours. I have Happy Trails SL racks on which I carry Ortlieb soft waterproof bags. While Givis look great, I need bags that can tolerate being overstuffed and banged up a bit while in transit in the basement of my motorhome.

Enjoy the forum. Good folks here with a wealth of knowledge and frequently amusing commentary; informative as well as entertaining.
Attached Images

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."

Last edited by Satanic Versys; 11-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

260 lb + 1

Max Recommended Load 186 kg (410 lb.)

Curb Weight 206 kg (454.2 lb.)
Fuel Tank Capacity 5.0 U.S. gal.

VEHICLE INFORMATION PORTAL

Last edited by Seeya; 11-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Good Info

I appreciate the info, I just ordered the lowering pegs you mentioned, exactly what I was looking for. I may eventually go for the saddle as well.

Concerning the second poster's ref to weight limit, I had just downloaded the owner's manual when you sent it, and it's good to know. Looks like it'll be luggage OR 2-up, not both, and the girl will have to stay tiny.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Look into Seat concepts foam and cover great way to go. I found a whole seat here on the forum. It Added at least an inch to the height and stops you from sliding into the tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Seat Concepts and lowering blocks make the Versys prefect for my 6'5" 210 lb frame.

Cameron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
big, mods, tall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in