Bought the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bought the Versys

I posted last week that I was considering a Versys and I bought it yesterday.
I was really impressed with the engine. Mine is a 2011 with 250 miles on it. It was covered in 2 years of dust and the tires had about 15 psi in them. Got it cleaned up and aired up. Going for oil, filter, and battery tender today. Also need battery nuts-the previous owner had to replace the battery to get the bike to start because it had been sitting so long and checked last night and discovered that the screws were just pushed into the terminals, the nuts are gone. I still think I got a good deal - $4700. Excited to get some time on the Versys. Do you all have any other suggestions for a bike that has been sitting for 2 years? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. How much fuel was in the tank when you looked at it? Did he mention how old the gas was and whether he kept stabilizer in it? I would look in the tank with a flashlight and determine if I wanted to pump most of the fuel out and start fresh.

Good luck with it. Remember to read the owners manual and do the maintenance items that are based on time. A lot of items will say x miles or y time whichever comes first.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Thx, I will check the fuel when I get back home today. The kawasaki dealer a small bottle of stuff that they said was like seafoam but better. It is made for motorcycles and supposed to clean out the fuel system. Do u think it would b Ok to use that?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If you are already riding it and is seems to run fine, I would look in the tank, and if the fuel doesn't look cloudy or nasty, I would run that tank out pronto and add fresh fuel with fuel treatment.

If it looks the least bit suspect I would pump it out into a container and put it in a car or truck mixed with fresh gas. You can get a hand pump that is clear hose with a squeeze bulb used to start the flow and then gravity takes over.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Lube and adjust chain, drain and replace coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode