2011 Versys tomorrow? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 Versys tomorrow?

Tomorrow I'm heading out to hopefully pick up a new motorbike! I'm trading in a 2005 V-Strom DL1000 and have a choice between two, at 2 separate shops, 2 and 3 hours south of where I live.

They are both the same year and color (2011, red), and one is new/old stock with the factory warranty, while the other is used (looks new), has 11k miles, and comes with Kawi color matched side bags. The price for the new bike is $6,300, the used $6,000, base price + additional tax, title, & license fees. My first thought was that the used Versys would be the better deal for me; slightly cheaper, and has hard bags which I would eventually want for the new bike, but I am somewhat concerned about the relatively high mileage, and don't know what the tires look like. The new bike has less than 20 miles on it (infrequently run), but has been filled with gas and oil and stored in a warehouse and on the showroom for ~2 years. Not sure of the condition of the battery or tires on that bike after being stored that long.

Anyone with more experience then I, care to comment on these two possibilities? I've seen neither and am not sure what the dealers will give me for the Suzuki in trade once they have a chance to check it out.

Cheers,
-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not sure of what is a good price over there but the cost of adding hard bags can be very expensive over my way. 11,000 miles is not over the top in my opinion maybe you could ask a bit more off price with those miles on the used one.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 AM

That's a no brainer for me. 300 more for new and a factory warranty. Me personally, I would offer them 7k for the new one and have them include the color matched factory bags. I had my bags included in the price and installed them myself when they came in. I know in Florida, a dealer had left over new 12's for $5880 a month of so ago. Seems like an 11 should be priced lower.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Regarding the hard bags . . . agree with kiwi 41, they ARE expensive to ad. I think when I researched them, they're over $800 bucks for bags and mounting hardware. And I would also agree 11K is not a lot of miles. In general, the $6300 seems reasonable(for a new bike that is 2 years old) but the $6000 for the used bike seems kinda high. In the end, it's your call. Good luck.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM

I purchased a new 2011 Versys in October of 2011 for $7125 Out-The-Door... Tax, tag, setup, etc. So I'm thinking $6300 for the same bike... two years later... before all the OTD add ons is a bit steep. $5300 maybe... make them an offer of around $5k and start from there. All they can say is no.

EDIT: My offer of $7125 OTD was my first offer via Email through CycleTrader.com... thinking it was a good place to start my negotiations. The bike was advertised for $7.7k before all the OTD stuff... with a "Tell us you saw it here and we'll drop $300 off the price."... in small print. I did my calculations and sent my offer. I got a reply in less than five minutes that said "We'll take it.".

I've always wondered how much less they would have taken had I started with an even lower initial offer.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 10-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Look around you should be able to get a better price. If you don't mind a road trip or fly-n- ride. You could do much better.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would offer these guys $5500.00 if the mileage isn't off the charts I bet they would take it..http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcd/4107229907.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcd/4093189193.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Out here in SF, new old stock Versyses aren't really that great of a deal over current model year. Maybe they knock $500 off. I didn't have much luck negotiating down when I bought my NOS Versys. They knew they would be able to sell it for pretty close to their asking price.

I read in another thread, probably on this forum, that you will always find someone who paid more for their bike and someone who paid less. What matters is that you're happy with the deal you got.

The warranty is nice to have. I bought the extended warranty and it paid off. I had about $1000 worth of warranty work done at about 15000 miles (it was kind of a fluke situation though). The bags can be pricey, but if you hold out you can get them used on the forum for less. If you really want the color matched panels, you can buy those separately too I believe. I think 11,000 miles is not a lot for a used Versys. It would be a tough choice for me too. Maybe find out who is willing to negotiate more?

Good Luck and keep us posted!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM

CycleTrader says there's a 2012 in Auburn, WA for $5999.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all who took the time to comment, I appreciate your thoughts.

One of the factors that limits my negotiations with the sellers is that I have limited cash and need to either sell my current ride or trade it in. The prices around here also seemed to me to be a bit high for 2 year old bikes, but listings of interest in other parts of the country would involve the cost of a plane ride as well as multiple days on the road and in motels. If I don’t have a bonding experience with one of the bikes today I will hold off and attempt to sell my bike first.

-David
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
MTS

Cash or trade in, two different animals for sure good luck!

Best deal i ever saw was on craigs list about two months ago. 2009, 2,300 miles $3,300 like new NEW!. I met the guy who owned it before I bought mine. He told me he loved the bike and to buy one for sure, but he didn't have time to ride much now its for sale or sold.

Great deals are out there!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Well, I ended up with a new 2011 Versys! The used bike was OK, but I didn't like the look of the hard bags, they are set out so wide on the frame. For some reason the ride on the new bike was a bit smoother, the dealer gave me $500 more on the trade-in, and it had the factory warranty. Did I pay too much; why yes, yes I did, but the bonding had taken place, and I had to take this orphan bike to a good home.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

If you 'bonded' with the bike, then what does saving a few $$$'s matter?

Now you need to "farkle" the new love of your life!!!.............
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler View Post
Well, I ended up with a new 2011 Versys! The used bike was OK, but I didn't like the look of the hard bags, they are set out so wide on the frame. For some reason the ride on the new bike was a bit smoother, the dealer gave me $500 more on the trade-in, and it had the factory warranty. Did I pay too much; why yes, yes I did, but the bonding had taken place, and I had to take this orphan bike to a good home.
Good Job WT!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Great! Now change your ride info to 2011 Versys.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 PM
MTS

WT good job, you didn't pay too much!

The best story from a thread still on here I think is a guy the was bragging how much of a better deal he got over this dude that just bought a V.

Finally the dude called [email protected]# on this guy and said you send me a copy of your receipt. And I'll send you buy you a meal at your favorite restaurant.

The guy posted that he forgot he traded his old motorcycle in for $2,300 LOL WTH.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
Great! Now change your ride info to 2011 Versys.
Done...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Congrats on the new purchase! Consider the extended warranty. They're out there for about half the retail cost. I got 4 years for under $400.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode