Have I bought a turkey? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
...maybe if you have the $$$$ put a R1 shock on as been done before.
The R1 shocks have been some of my BEST mods on both my Vs!!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The problem is more with the OEM rear spring that is too stiff at 940 lb/in, no matter what preload (ride height) setting you're at... Depending on your weight, a rear spring of about 800 lb/in (14.29 kg/mm) with any shock yields the most significant improvement. Proper setting of rear suspension starts with having the ideal spring rate... I actually fitted a $100 Chinese shock with remote reservoir and an 800 lb/in spring which is absolutely excellent for me at 210 lbs on any road condition, including the most wickedness I can aggressively throw at it. Being much more compliant, I get to use all of the suspension's available travel.

Some lighter riders have opted for an even lower spring rate.

Last edited by invader; 10-06-2013 at 08:18 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the input.

It sounds like the throttle surging might just be a problem with my bike, I have tried rotating the sensor to smooth out the problems at 2800 rpm it has improved things slightly but also moved the problem up the revs. I have also taken some of the slack out of the throttle cables, again some improvements. The main problem is seen when riding in traffic at 30-40 mph steady speed (2500-4000 rpm). Accelerating is smooth, cruising at higher speed and revs (4500+) is also fine.

I am am not expecting it to behave like any other bike I've owned (all the others had carbs for starters) but I am trying to understand whether I need to fix the problem or try and learn to live with it. It helps to know that what I am experiencing is not normal and therefore I should be able to get it sorted.

With regards to the suspension, I took off the lowering kit at the weekend and adjusted the fork height to compensate and, along with further reducing the damping, it seems to have improved things slightly. But it does sound like I'm limited by the stock spring. My main commute is a fast twisty road that is also quite bumpy so with the stiff spring and my low-ish weight it feels like a lot to ask.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Vacuum sensor mod? The left TB's left vacuum hose for the inlet air presure sensor should be left alone. Vacuum hose mod is best with just a 6" long 5/32" ID vacuum hose on capped fittings... You could also try rotating main throttle sensor counterclockwise by about 0.5mm to cure the lean surge by adding fuel at low to mid throttle opening.
Thank's invader, I didn't explain very well but that was exactly what I did - based on one of your threads IIRC. Both of those combined with the throttle cable adjustment was the difference between "completely unrideable" and "not quite right".
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
What's your used low mileage Versys' year and mileage?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

It's 2007 and 7500 miles. So not much more than 1000 miles a year.

Is there any chance that the spring hasn't really 'worn in' yet? I certainly don't think it's had a hard life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode