Great to be here! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great to be here!

Just an educated hillbilly from Kentucky but wanted to take the time to thank the members of this forum and to introduce myself. I have been riding about 20 years and cherish every chance to do so. I currently ride a BMW R1150RT every day and will be picking up the new versys in the morning! (my only day off).
I work as an open heart nurse at a local hospital and as a chemical engineer at the refinery in Catlettsburg, KY. (I know I couldnt choose between them). I love to learn and wish to thank all for the info in the forum. You all have been very informative, forthecoming, and subjective. I probably don't have the expertise of most here but I do have extensive experience in oils, petrol production, pumps, compressors and control systems....if this would be of any help to any members I would be more than obliged to help anytime. Again thank you for having me and thanks for your time,

KYCVORNURSE

KYCVORNURSE
"DRIVE FAST AND SWERVE ALOT!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Welcome!! I was just down your way a couple of weeks ago. If you have petrol production experience, maybe you can put to rest the age old argument.....

Use Unleaded or Premium Unleaded?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM

an open heart nurse and a chemical engineer ...

That is one way to cover yourself in a recession!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Kycvornurse,

Good to know you and keep .
Knowledge is Power and it is good to Share.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
Welcome!! I was just down your way a couple of weeks ago. If you have petrol production experience, maybe you can put to rest the age old argument.....

Use Unleaded or Premium Unleaded?
I look at this argument differently than most but subjectively the octane rating of the fuel should match the knock capabilities of the otto-cycle engine compression.
Refineries use knock engines to test the fuels and fuel mixtures that are produced. Basically this is a variable compression engine that fuel is tested in (at variable compressions) and then compared to the same set of tests with a mixture of iso-octane and n-heptane. If the mixture/knock test is inline with 89% by volume iso-octane and 11% by volume n-heptane then the RON is 89 and so forth and so on. The gold standard in the 1920's was iso-octane with a rating of 100. N-heptane is/was assigned an octane rating of 0.
MON or aviation lean octane (motor octane #) is tested by a higher rpm motor and is tested through a variable ignition sequence which yields a substantially lower octane rating (hence the PON or pump octane # which in the US is the RON + MON/2 average).
Now having said all of that, one must consider the amount of reformate stock (unification reaction or smaller chains to make larger chains) in the gasoline versus the heavy cat crack stock in the gasoline (large carbon chains with tremendous heat/pressure/catalyst to crack the large chains into smaller more profitable ones). Reformate gasoline as well as
Hydrofluoric Alkylation can yield very high octane fuels but the amount of olefins (unsaturated carbon chains) yield very little parrafins (saturated hydrocarbons which = lubrication for the engine) and have to be blended to both increase the octane of lower octane feedstocks and allow the engine to run mostly on lubricating heavy cat crack gasoline.
What this all boils down to is getting fuel to burn (so that as much energy as is possible is transmitted to the piston making you smile) versus getting fuel to detonate (or predetonate/knock which most manufacturers are now using pezioelectric knock sensors to retard ignition timing which = less knock/less efficiency/less smiles).
Using lower than stated octane for compression can and will damage an engine. Using more than stated octane for compression will gain you no more power (but it will make your wallet lighter). Remember octane ratings are a measure of activation energy (needed to ignite) not the energy content of the fuel.
Typically high compression bikes require premium (compressions in the 11.0:1 and higher range and lower compression bikes require lower octane ratings (by virtue of the ideal gas law). So by answering the question, the lowest octane rating that doesnt make the engine knock is the most economical and needed fuel to purchase. Hope this helps!

KYCVORNURSE
"DRIVE FAST AND SWERVE ALOT!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Sounds like you don't know jack-**** about gas to me!! LOL

thanks for the info, you sound very knowledgeable on this and confirms what we've been reading/hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode