New Guy Looking to Buy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Guy Looking to Buy

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions to those in the know! I'm Chuck from Colorado (Boulder/Arvada area) and looking to purchase a Versys, preferably an all-black 2012 one (i.e., the best color!).

Here's my dilemma: I have the cash now to buy a new/unused one that a dealer 600 miles away has in stock, and for $6,300 out the door. I'd have to ride it home and it concerns me I'd go that far without an initial oil change (which would be impractical en route, since I'd be carrying everything on me or the bike). Is this worth worrying about? Might I be better off buying a used one with all the accessories/farkles (which I plan to add anyhow), ala the 2011 for sale here in this forum's classifieds? Is a 10,000-mile used bike too much wear and tear to even consider?

Another "dilemma"...I plan to head to New Zealand for the winter (their summer) in a month or so and would therefore let the bike sit for months on end here in CO, garaged thankfully, but nonetheless parked and inactive. Should I just wait to buy?! Is the 2014 with ABS worth waiting for? (I can tolerate the green color, the second-best color!).

Anyway, sorry for the questions. I know I'll be getting a bike again at some point! I've owned true dual-sports in the past (KLR/DRZ) but am now leaning toward more of a street-oriented type, ala the Versys or, possibly, a V-strom (dare I say?).

-Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM

I tend to change my oil within 200 miles. That said, I honestly believe the initial oil change topic is over played. If manufacturers really thought their engines would become ticking time bombs because the new owner didn't change the oil so unnecessarily early, they'd state that in their manuals......and or reduce their warranty.

I wouldn't be a bit concerned about missing an arbitrary mileage for a first oil change. My bigger concern would be the type of break-in you're able to do on a 600 mile "first" trip. Varying your throttle on mundane, boring stretches of long highways can be difficult. That's the main thing you'll want to do. The good thing; if you can break it in properly as suggested, then your break-in period will be over when you arrive at your driveway.

As far as ABS, it's definitely a nice feature; one I'd like to have. But if the price is right, there's nothing wrong with picking up an early model. It's all riding technique.

Curious, what's up with the green color? That lime green has to be the most hideous, taste bud altering color there is. It has the same affect on me as when some one says the word "mustard."

jf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If your in no hurry just wait till Dec,Jan,Feb and the prices will be even better also the 2014 will be sitting on the floor during the winter months and the dealers will be more likely to deal on a leftover 2012,2013. There was an 11 or 12 model that sold on ebay for a low low low price recently.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Versys View Post
...Here's my dilemma: I have the cash now to buy a new/unused one that a dealer 600 miles away has in stock, and for $6,300 out the door. I'd have to ride it home and it concerns me I'd go that far without an initial oil change (which would be impractical en route, since I'd be carrying everything on me or the bike). Is this worth worrying about?
-Chuck
Chuck - buy the bike EARLY in the morning, then do a quick 50 miler using the
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm method, then back to the dealer, change oil and filter and ride home. You can then do another change at home. DONE!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

re: New Guy Looking to Buy

Thanks for the responses! At the moment I'm still indecisive (which is fairly typical for me, I fear!), but in any case I will be picking up a Versys. So, at the very least, the whole "sooner or later" applies! In the meantime I'll follow the forum and see if I can learn a few things en route! Thanks again.

Interesting stuff on that link, with regards to breaking a new bike in.

~Chuckie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Bike in Colorado

Hey Chuck,

depending on if you have your heart set on a new bike, I have a Green 2009 for sale in Denver. I just posted in this forum about it actually, so you can see that I talk about some scrapes on it, but I can negotiate on the price a bit if you are interested. If not, no worries and good luck!
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4090536199.html

Cheers,

Tyson
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

PM sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode