KLR rider in a quandry.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLR rider in a quandry....

Hey, just joined this forum as a long-time KLR rider. I don't know if I need a mechanic or an attorney, but I'm thinking of leaving the KLR for another ride! Any advice on the Versys versus the Vstrom 650? I've only ever been with the KLR since I started and it's my first love, but lately I've been wanting a little more power and comfort in my daily routine. I'm planning on some long sojourns across the US. Interested in opinions...

jessej
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessej View Post
Hey, just joined this forum as a long-time KLR rider. I don't know if I need a mechanic or an attorney, but I'm thinking of leaving the KLR for another ride! Any advice on the Versys versus the Vstrom 650? I've only ever been with the KLR since I started and it's my first love, but lately I've been wanting a little more power and comfort in my daily routine. I'm planning on some long sojourns across the US. Interested in opinions...

jessej
My last Bike was an 08 KLR 650. Loved it. Sold it predivorce, went to rebuy another andt the only bike i could find was the Versys or the Vstrom. Got a great deal on the Versys- nearly $2k less than the Vstrom I priced. My point is that This bike is so much better than the KLR-And I loved the KLR!!!

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

I was in the same situation about a year ago. I ended up keeping the KLR and just adding the Versys. The KLR is an 03 model with a lot of miles. Although it's in excellent condition with lots of aftermarket improvements, it's not worth much as a trade in. So I put on a smaller front sprocket and with the larger rear rack and side bags, i use it for my grocery getter. Yesterday I hauled 28 quart bottles and 16 pint bottles of water home from Walmart. I use it for all my shorter trips and rougher rides. The Versys is set up for touring with a larger front sprocket, tall windscreen and side bags. This makes for a very nice combination and I expect to keep both of them for many years.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 PM

I've ridden both. You can't go wrong with either one. I believe the V-Strom is avail in with ABS. Might be worth looking into. I think the Versys is better suited for 2-up short hauls. Half my riding is 2-up but I have 3 bikes so the Versys does not have to fill that role often but it can. The V-Strom will be better off road. Just my two cents...its ok if you disagree

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 PM

Like others before I had a KLR and a Versys, but the more I rode the Versys, the less I bothered with the KLR and it ended up in the garage most of the time.

Versys is OK on logging/forest roads, surprisingly quite good, even with Pilot Power almost slick tires, but it won't handle single track, mud or sand well-not with me on it anyway.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=olympic

I've done couple of hundred miles off road now and next set of tires will be more dual-sport focused.

Versys is an excellent tourer, great in the twisties-best I've ever had & gets about 50mpg all the time, even two up in the mountains.

Vstrom is also an excellent machine, might even be a bit better off road, but neither will do the type of rough stuff the KLR thrives on. The V suspension and alloy rims stop you going too wild off road.

Machog

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 PM

I say go with whatever feels more comfortable. Both the Versys and V Strom are good bikes. When I sold my KLR I bought a Versys because of brand loyalty to Kawasaki and a screaming hot price. Besides that, a Versys is just a lot prettier than a V Strom. Coming off a KLR, though, meant I was immune to the humiliation of riding an ugly motorcycle.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
I say go with whatever feels more comfortable. Both the Versys and V Strom are good bikes. When I sold my KLR I bought a Versys because of brand loyalty to Kawasaki and a screaming hot price. Besides that, a Versys is just a lot prettier than a V Strom. Coming off a KLR, though, meant I was immune to the humiliation of riding an ugly motorcycle.
Ditto!!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM

I looked at both the KLR and the V, hands down the V
With the V you have fuel injection, which where i am is important because we will go from 4000ft to 12000 in a few hours. I have a buddy with an 08 KLR, i ran with him the other day 250 miles. I can run off and leave him and do it in style. When you get in the wind with the KLR it is a little rough due to the single jug.

I just went thru this- you will not regret buying a V.
The vstrom is to pricey for what you are getting anyway.

just my 2cents

Love my V and it Loves me
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM

I too have a KLR ('07), it's my second one over the years and I love them......always will have one.
That being said, the Versys is a much better streetbike. Better brakes, more power (a bunch), smoother, etc. For serious mileage the Versys gets the nod but for knocking around on the dirt & gravel roads, the Killer can't be beat.
Dan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Had the "new and redesigned" 08 KLR for 3500 miles. Liked it a lot. Made a mistake...rode a Versys...never looked back!

Montani Semper Liberi
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 AM

I am like spklbuk, I had my 2008 KLR for just over 9000 KM and seen the Versys. I mostly drive hardtop and a few dirt roads, I seen the reviews on the V and that made up my mind! I was hooked

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode