Saying hey - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saying hey

I wanted to comment on the thread about the Motorcyclist comparison to the F800GT, which I wrote, but it seems like I never posted to the new member area to get privileges.

So that's that.

Incidentally, I do actually own a Versys, a '12 yellow model, which already has a ton of mods to it.

It's an affliction.

--Marc Cook/Motorcyclist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Well it's nice to see you own one. I was able to post about after two posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM

I like your writing and magazine.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 AM

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.

I've really enjoyed the Versys, even if I sometimes take crap from the rest of the staff.

"You have a garage full of the latest stuff and you ride THAT to work?"

Actually, they do know how good the V is. Now with suspension and brake upgrades, it's a total hoot. One of my/our favorites.

--Marc
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Can't wait to hear what your suspension and brake upgrades are.

Welcome to the community.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Hi, Marc.
Welcome aboard. I enjoyed your F800GT vs Versys story. I've got an '08 set up for touring and it has appeared several times in another moto magazine. So has Motociclista's '09. I'm curious to read your input on the thread about your article.
Bones

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook View Post
Now with suspension and brake upgrades, it's a total hoot.
Details, man, details!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
IBA 59868
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Details, man, details!
Bones - OF COURSE Marc'll have an R1 shock...!

Marc - welcome on board!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

I've really enjoyed the Versys, even if I sometimes take crap from the rest of the staff.

"You have a garage full of the latest stuff and you ride THAT to work?"

Actually, they do know how good the V is. Now with suspension and brake upgrades, it's a total hoot. One of my/our favorites.

--Marc
Very interested to hear what suspension and brake upgrades you have done. If you have written about them please post a link. Can't seem to find the mag. in stores as they seem to have sold out. Thanks.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
Can't seem to find the mag. in stores as they seem to have sold out. Thanks.
Not likely sold out, but rather not on the shelves yet. Newsstands typically put out monthly periodicals for the month prior to the publication date, so the November issue of Motorcyclist will hit newsstands on October 1.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
IBA 59868
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I wanted to comment on the thread about the Motorcyclist comparison to the F800GT, which I wrote, but it seems like I never posted to the new member area to get privileges.

So that's that.

Incidentally, I do actually own a Versys, a '12 yellow model, which already has a ton of mods to it.

It's an affliction.

--Marc Cook/Motorcyclist
Welcome aboard, Marc Cook. I KNEW there were Versys's (??) to be found among the moto journalists! Not the greatest, and not the worst by a long shot, but a ton of fun.

Nice article - nice writing. I've read it three times now and found it refreshingly unbiased. Some good thing here and some not so good things here, and some good things there and some not so good things there. Both bikes have pros and cons. Some will like one and some will like the other. Good on 'em. Should that be an earth-shattering surprise to anyone? Nyet, nein, non, nope. To each his (or her) own and more power to us all.

And there's something to be said for subscribing rather than waiting for the mag to show up in the local shops. We've already read it from cover to cover while others stand and wait - patiently.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I haven't written about the mods yet, but will in a future issue.

Short version: I went the easy route on the suspension by calling Traxxion. I do like to tinker and really like to recycle components (the R6 shock, for example), but I was in a bit of a bind time-wise. I had the work done just a couple of weeks before I took the Versys on vacation, and wanted a setup that I knew would be close.

So, Traxxion AK20s (compression adjustment one side, rebound the other, both live cartridges) and Penske shock. Yeah, yeah, it's a chunk of change. That's the beauty of starting with an $8000 motorcycle. (Which mine wasn't since I bought it used.)

Brakes are Nissin four-piston units off a Honda CBR600F4/929/945 with modified caliper adapters from an SV650. Right now, I'm still running the stock Kawasaki master, but I also have a radial-mount from my old crashed (and totaled) GSX-R750 plus the original Honda master that I'm going to try soon.

Lots of tinkering still to come. And I haven't touched the engine. Yet.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Looking forward to reading this comparison..

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 09-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't written about the mods yet, but will in a future issue.

Short version: I went the easy route on the suspension by calling Traxxion. I do like to tinker and really like to recycle components (the R6 shock, for example), but I was in a bit of a bind time-wise. I had the work done just a couple of weeks before I took the Versys on vacation, and wanted a setup that I knew would be close.

So, Traxxion AK20s (compression adjustment one side, rebound the other, both live cartridges) and Penske shock. Yeah, yeah, it's a chunk of change. That's the beauty of starting with an $8000 motorcycle. (Which mine wasn't since I bought it used.)

Brakes are Nissin four-piston units off a Honda CBR600F4/929/945 with modified caliper adapters from an SV650. Right now, I'm still running the stock Kawasaki master, but I also have a radial-mount from my old crashed (and totaled) GSX-R750 plus the original Honda master that I'm going to try soon.

Lots of tinkering still to come. And I haven't touched the engine. Yet.
Welcome, Marc!

Where did you get the modified caliper adapters? That's a brake upgrade I'd like to do, but I'm no machinist, I'd need to purchase adapter brackets.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

The caliper adapters are here.

You'll also need longer bolts, and these spacers with a 5/16-in ID.

I don't remember the bolt lengths off hand, but will check them when I get home.

Not super cheap--the calipers cost $150 on eBay, plus $80-90 in spacers and hardware--but the setup is vastly better, IMO, than stock.

I already had braided lines and HH+ pads on the stock calipers, and was still not happy with the brakes.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Suddenly, I feel honored that my post garnered the attention of a magazine, and specifically the writer of the article.

Welcome aboard Marc.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The caliper adapters are here.

You'll also need longer bolts, and these spacers with a 5/16-in ID.

I don't remember the bolt lengths off hand, but will check them when I get home.

Not super cheap--the calipers cost $150 on eBay, plus $80-90 in spacers and hardware--but the setup is vastly better, IMO, than stock.

I already had braided lines and HH+ pads on the stock calipers, and was still not happy with the brakes.
Thanks for the info. So those SV brackets work with the longer bolts, spacers...no further modification to the SV brackets?

Been toying with the idea. I, too, put on stainless lines and Vesrah RJL pads. Better, but not the type of brakes I'm used to from riding sportbikes!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the SV brackets work as long as you get the correct new bolts and spacers from someplace like McMaster-Carr.

To be clear: No machining needed. This is a totally bolt-up affair.

Just confirmed the bolt sizes as follows:

10mmx40 through the fork leg
8mmx35 from the bracket to the caliper itself

Here's how it looks mounted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode