Why don't more people complete their member profile? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why don't more people complete their member profile?

I am amazed how few members of this site completely fill out their profile. Many times I read a posting and wonder where the member lives and what they do for a living. More often than not there's nothing on their profile, not even what state they live in. Are we so afraid that a tiny bit of personal information might be revealed and somehow come back to bite them in the ass or is it PURE LAZINESS? I'm a people person and I'm curious about whose behind the various user names and icons.
I had to laugh recently when I saw a member's photo with the license plate blurred out so you couldn't read it. Does this guy cover it up when he rides it?
I don't know if anybody else out there really gives a damn but what's the big secret?

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 PM

I wonder the same thing, on most forums I belong to, this is the case.

It is something I've never understood.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM

I think the state isn't a bad idea but the rest really isn't anybody else's business. We have learned to keep our personal info to a min. Just ride and enjoy and don't worry about what everybody else does or their history. If they want you to know they will tell you. Great bunch here for bike info so just enjoy that part. Most of us just want to ride our bikes and not get into too much of a social club. Takes too much time away from rides. Good site the way it is.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Licence plate

Posting a lot of personal info on the web isn't very smart, especially things such as tag numbers. In this state, having a tag number can give access to stuff that is, quite frankly, nobody's damn business. I guess that it's a lot like the folks that call up and offer a 'real good deal' on vacations if you just give them all of your personal info so that they can flood you with unwanted junk mail and more phone calls. There are a ton of robotic programs that troll forums in order to harvest email addresses and phone #s.
To tell the truth, I have to wonder why somebody would be so eager to gain access to personal information about the members here. I figure that if somebody wants to post the stuff, that's their business. By the same token, it's nobody's business if they don't. I'm here to enjoy talking about biking, and to sometimes ride with the folks that I get to know.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM

In this thread we have folks with different opinions from Kansas, North Carolina, Iowa and Canada. Two countries!! Yet none of the personal information I could glean from any of your pages would be able to tell me if you're married, straight or gay, have good or bad credit, own or rent or even if you have a car. Unless you post it in your profile (innocuous information at best) I can't even tell if you've got a job! But what I can do if I'm going to the Quad Cities to duck hunt, I can say "Yo, Deano - I'm gonna be in Davenport in November. You duck hunt ? You want to gather some friends and do a ride ?" . Paranoia only serves to limit. So what if a spammer gets my email address ? Who doesn't have spam filtering nowadays ? That's all they get. My email and some harmless information like what kind of bikes I like, what mods I want to do and _maybe_ what I do for a living. Lighten up folks. I've been in IT for 13 years and I've yet to meet anybody who had their identity stolen from posting this kind of information in in a forum profile. If you want to post that you have 4 bikes and live in Connecticu then do it. Now, everybody on this list - I need your SSNs and two major credit card numbers please.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 AM

i can give you islanders credit card number...is that o.k.? just kidding. i have 2 dogs. 2 kids , 2 wives,(one is an x) 2 cars. 1 kick ass bike

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM

We have profiles?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 AM

A general idea of where someone lives is nice, but at least put up some info about your bike!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Pure laziness
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
In this thread we have folks with different opinions from Kansas, North Carolina, Iowa and Canada. Two countries!! Yet none of the personal information I could glean from any of your pages would be able to tell me if you're married, straight or gay, have good or bad credit, own or rent or even if you have a car. Unless you post it in your profile (innocuous information at best) I can't even tell if you've got a job! But what I can do if I'm going to the Quad Cities to duck hunt, I can say "Yo, Deano - I'm gonna be in Davenport in November. You duck hunt ? You want to gather some friends and do a ride ?" . Paranoia only serves to limit. So what if a spammer gets my email address ? Who doesn't have spam filtering nowadays ? That's all they get. My email and some harmless information like what kind of bikes I like, what mods I want to do and _maybe_ what I do for a living. Lighten up folks. I've been in IT for 13 years and I've yet to meet anybody who had their identity stolen from posting this kind of information in in a forum profile. If you want to post that you have 4 bikes and live in Connecticu then do it. Now, everybody on this list - I need your SSNs and two major credit card numbers please.

Thanks for the support. I'm just not going to have paranoia rule my life. That doesn't mean I will give out sensitive information but come on, the profile is so basic I couldn't begin to imagine how someone could profit by knowing this information.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post

Thanks for the support. I'm just not going to have paranoia rule my life. That doesn't mean I will give out sensitive information but come on, the profile is so basic I couldn't begin to imagine how someone could profit by knowing this information.

Unwanted cottage guests???

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Cetzel, You could post fine that you are going to leave on a duck hunt in Nov or whatever. Would give someone a perfect chance to rob you while you are gone. Is exactly what happened to someone that twittered about their vacation. Is my personal info any help to someone rideing a Versys? Does duck hunt belong on a motorcycle forum? Just like the car dealer that i just looked at a car wanting my SS, no. I don't give out un needed info. Isn't the person you think that steals idenity. Just ask someone who has had that happen. Never did they think it would happen to them. Just give out what each feels comfortable with. Is after all a fun motorcycle forum and not "my space" or facebook. Just ride and chat about motorcycles here. E-mail someone if you want to get close to them. State is fine and then you can go from there. Keep it fun and light.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Deano,

The threat of theft of identity is very real. I simply don't think that posting that I like hobby x or I'm the paper delivery boy for media Y in my profile is anything more than interesting information that others can read to get an idea of the person behind the post. But to each his own. If you want to put down a hobby or two or what you do for a living, go for it. If it makes you uncomfortable then do like others suggest: keep it light.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:39 PM

I agree with what you say and i think i have the basics in my profile but just an explanation to his question why some people don't get real involved with too much information. That is the nice thing about this site as there isn't much manditory asking of information in a profile. There are a lot of mature riders here and we have learned only to give out info on a need to know basis for a reason. Look at all the trouble some get into giving out too much in myspace and the like. Most of those are younger people who don't realize the traps of giving out too much. If i find someone i think is in my area or i need to know something from them i e-mail them private. Mostly i just enjoy the humor and info on the Versys found here. Great bunch of guys and gals.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 PM

I think some folks wear their tin foil hats a little too tight.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM

I guess there is a fear of what details we send out into cyberspace. The V forum profile is pretty straight forward. It's just to initially know what sort of a person you are, that's all. It is only after a while when we get your inputs/writes in the forum, one can gauge/figure how the other ticks.

Saying that, everyone still has a choice. You reap what you sow.... GALATIANS 6: 7-9

Best Regards

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

City & state/country is great, state/country is better than nothing. It's nice to see at least a general idea where a person is posting from, especially if they're planning on hanging around & participating on a regular basis. I see both sides, but the forum isn't asking for street addresses or mother's maiden names. Plus, it's a little annoying when a person asks a question relative to their location, but they haven't filled in that particular space on their profile, so you have no idea where they are.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM

OK, let's see if I can explain this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
I am amazed how few members of this site completely fill out their profile. Many times I read a posting and wonder where the member lives and what they do for a living. More often than not there's nothing on their profile, not even what state they live in. Are we so afraid that a tiny bit of personal information might be revealed and somehow come back to bite them in the ass or is it PURE LAZINESS? I'm a people person and I'm curious about whose behind the various user names and icons.
I had to laugh recently when I saw a member's photo with the license plate blurred out so you couldn't read it. Does this guy cover it up when he rides it?
I don't know if anybody else out there really gives a damn but what's the big secret?
The post above would have gotten a better response had the poster simply requested that folks post their info instead of coming off as a jerk with insults and name calling. Note that I do post where I'm from and have done so since joining the board. I've also posted quite a few posts that list detailed rides in my area. I do that by choice though, not because I feel a need to satisfy the needs of somebody with an obsessive need to tell others what to do. I found it amusing that the post mentioned, "I don't know if anybody else out there really gives a damn but what's the big secret?" It's pretty obvious that the poster gives a damn, I'd say. I suppose that by itself justifies continuing to do so in the pix that I post. I also sometimes blur out the names of businesses in photos that I don't want to promote, and faces of people that I know don't want to have their photo online. If it bothers somebody, I'd suggest that they simply refrain from reading or looking at the posts.
Maybe it's just a southern thing... we don't take orders very well.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
The post above would have gotten a better response had the poster simply requested that folks post their info instead of coming off as a jerk with insults and name calling. Note that I do post where I'm from and have done so since joining the board. I've also posted quite a few posts that list detailed rides in my area. I do that by choice though, not because I feel a need to satisfy the needs of somebody with an obsessive need to tell others what to do. I found it amusing that the post mentioned, "I don't know if anybody else out there really gives a damn but what's the big secret?" It's pretty obvious that the poster gives a damn, I'd say. I suppose that by itself justifies continuing to do so in the pix that I post. I also sometimes blur out the names of businesses in photos that I don't want to promote, and faces of people that I know don't want to have their photo online. If it bothers somebody, I'd suggest that they simply refrain from reading or looking at the posts.

Maybe it's just a southern thing... we don't take orders very well.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. The hair on the back of my neck stands up when someone starts barking orders at me. But this is the internet, & we can't see or hear the person doing the typing. I try to give the person the benefit of the doubt & imagine them doing so with a "tongue in cheek" attitude. I don't think he wasn't trying to insult anyone, but reading it a few times, I can see how some may think so.

I often wonder how many people actually proof read their posts BEFORE they hit the "submit" button. I know I make countless mistakes & try to correct most of 'em. I've caught myself ranting about something, only to rewrite the whole thing after re-reading it because it sounded wrong/whiny/condescending...

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 PM

too busy folding tinfoil hats

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode