Haleakala Maui - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haleakala Maui

Living on an island has its obvious drawbacks when it comes to Motorcycle Touring but the best thing going on Maui is the ride up Haleakala (10,023ft). There are several places that rent bikes these days. Mostly Harleys but i know one place has a V Strom and a new place recently opened on the west side. they have some cool different bikes,Aprilla, Ducati, some sport bikes etc. Now that I think of it I will visit these shops and put in a plug for the Versys.
If any one has the chance to visit and is considering renting a bike I would advise doing the volcano in the afternoon rather than morning. The road is very busy in the morning but quite uncrowded in the afternoons. The road is in excellent condition these days and hardly a speck of gravel. Clouds surround the mountain starting about 9 or 10 o'clock nearly every morning but often you will bust out above the clouds at about 8000 ft. It does get cold up there, generally 32 deg. colder at the summit than at sea level,which is where you will start your ride. I did it once in 55 minutes but usually its nice to stop along the way (in the Clouds) and soak in the serenity, a nice break from the sun and heat of summer especially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks for post.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Great views of the island on the way down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	29834  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 PM

Do you know the approximate rental cost? We'll be in Maui this year for a week.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Maui Motorcycle Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Do you know the approximate rental cost? We'll be in Maui this year for a week.
Eagle Riders has two locations; Kihei,near the Wailea resort area and Lahaina,near Kaanpali. according to their web site http://www.eaglerider.com/maui/motorcycle-rental.aspx The V Strom goes for $159/day.They also advertise the V Strom for $129/day on a different web site http://alohamotorsport.com/motorcycle-rentals/
The new player in town is http://mauisportbikerentals.com/shop/ they are the only shop i know of that rents Sport Bikes etc. The Aprilla Shiver 750 looks very interesting! They are a bit more expensive but the have a truck with a lift and will deliver right to your hotel or condo at no extra cost.
Or you could always rent a Harley from the H dealer near the airport for about $100/day.
Hawaii does not have a helmet law. Hope this helps,sorry for the delay in responding. Cheers!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 AM

While there (on Maui) I definitely thought about trying to rent a bike . . . but I found I was VERY happy I had rented a car instead. The scenery is simply too beautiful to pass up! On a bike, I fear I would be so focused on the road I would miss the islands beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode