Yamaha TW200 Owner for 2 Months!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha TW200 Owner for 2 Months!!

Thank you all for allowing me to join so easily. Tried to join TW200 forum for 6 weeks to no avail.
I am a new (old time) rider and bought the TW because I thought I wanted to be off-road 80% of the time. Then the "BUG" bit and I want to ride more roads to get to my favorite locations and then putt along at 25 MPH. The people in ALBQ. tend to drive about 20 MPH over the speed limit and I feel vulnerable in front of traffic on the TW. I sat on a Versys the other day and the gas tank was so high it scared me!! I'm 6'3" and weight 175 with a 34" inseam. Is the Versys too much for me??? It seemed so much taller than my TW 200!

Thanks,
Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM

2 cents

It's tall, but not THAT tall. You should be able to flat foot it. I'm on my toes at 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
Others here will argue with me about this, but the Versys really isn't a very good choice for off road use. It is awesome on the street, but you'd be better off with a WeeStrom when the pavement ends.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
It's tall, but not THAT tall. You should be able to flat foot it. I'm on my toes at 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
Others here will argue with me about this, but the Versys really isn't a very good choice for off road use. It is awesome on the street, but you'd be better off with a WeeStrom when the pavement ends.

Agreed!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, The dealer tried to sell me on the Suzuki Gladius. But I want a good wind-screen!! The Gadius has none!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM

I'm 5'10" on a good day and the Versys is THE best bike I've ever had out of the many I've owned. At your height you'll have no problems.

For me its comfortable, great in the twisties, does great mpg and therefore great range 200miles +. It will carry two up with no issues and carries me and my camping crap without significant mpg degeneration, i.e, stays around the 50mpg range.

It is an OK dual sport bike, but if you do a lot of off roading and any single track this is not the bike for you.

Machog

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 PM

You will find a lot of us on here are older riders in age only. Heck i am 61 and only 5' 8" and a 30" inseam. Had many, many bikes but i think the Versys is the best i have owned so far. I did put speedys lower kit on it and touch pretty good. Verys can be ridden at about any speed you are comfortable with but agree it is not an off road or dual purpose bike. Most people ride on pavement 90 % of the time. I have had several GS bikes and they never saw any more off road than my Versys does. It does fine on a dirt road or light gravel. Is a really all round bike. Gladius is just an updated SV 650 and not near as comfortable for most of us. What you have to remember is the tank on the Versys is small but the plastic sides make it seem large. I was intimadated by that at first also. V strom 650 had the same feeling to me. Take one for a ride if you can. I sure love my Versys.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM

Whatever you do, don't sell that TW. It is one of the best, most fun, dependable, all around good time local street commuter you can find.

That is quite a step up from that to the Versys, might consider a smaller jump, although you have the inseam for most bikes out there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 AM

I'm 6'1" and no problem with the height, but then again I like the high perch...The V is a great bike for most the folks here, but there are a lot of scoots, if money grew on trees, that I would have. I chose the V as a good combo of all the bikes I love at a great price...Wish you luck...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
I don't agree. Not at all. But it is like beating a dead horse. Once you make it reality then it is your fact.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM

I went from a yamaha xt350 to the Versys, the Versys is a cadilac compared to that. However I do miss jumping off the road and onto the trails, the V is a great "all roads" bike but i would rather have that tw200 for the trails.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM

What about The KLR

Its a little taller-BUt I had an 08 KLR 650 that I enjoyed just before the V. Good on the road and I hear they are fairley capable off as well.

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the comments!! Deano hit the spot that made it look tall! The plastic on the sides of the tank! Just got back from looking at a blue one (don't like green, and it was very hot outside the other day when I sat on that one) I have plenty of inseam for it. I'm just worried about going from 279 lbs. to 455lbs. I grew up on mini-bikes and small dirt bikes. Never had a beautiful machine like the V. By the way, I'm 49. Asked the dealer what out the door cash price was -- $7600. I think thats a little high considering the down economy.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

The Versys feels every bit of 200 lbs or so...

Actually, it carries it's weight very well, meaning it doesn't feel heavy.

$7600 OTD does seem a little high, depending on where you are. That's probably not a bad price if you're in California, though, at least from what I've read here...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

There isn't much else in between but the Kawi or Suzuki 400 dual-purpose. After reading so many posts and reviews about the Versys I just gravitated towards it. I wish it were a 400cc or so. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode