Hello from Mass - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Mass

Hi
Just registered. I'm in Boston suburbs now after a move from Connecticut. Definitely more Versys here. I saw quite a few bike so far, compared to NONE ever in 2 years in southeastern CT.

Anyway, I need help with a tech issue.

An elderly women went through a red light yesterday and cut me off as I was proceeded from my side. Just had time to brake and steered right, and ended up dropping my bike. Not too much damage: my Givi case is scratched, and the front brake lever snapped.

I was trying to figure out if the lever is something I can easily change myself. Sounds pretty stupid at first, but when you take a close look, I am not sure about the brake hose and how complicated this may be. I am a DIY when it comes to woodworking, but not so much with motorcycle: this is my first bike. I just don't want to end up having brake fluid spilling all over and parts falling off as I dismantle the assembly.

Has anybody ever done that?

Plus, the clutch lever part number is listed on the Kawa website in the exploded part section, but for some obscure reason, the brake lever is not. And they are not symmetrical. It's not even there on the handlebar diagram. Anyone knows where I could get this info? (I will give a call to the local dealer, but I thought I'd ask here first).

I may repost the message in the appropriate section after the 2 messages rule is compliant and I have full access, but there it is.

Cheers.
DL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, brake lever is a pretty standard replacement and sure some of your country man will point you to the right part number.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Both levers are easy to change out. The brake lever was just taking out one bolt thats was it. Theres a thread on the clutch lever. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...er+replacement

What year bike do you have the brake lever for a 2010-2013 won't work on an 08,09.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-07-2013 at 10:30 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Garage
I got these for my blue 09 like them much better than stock.Only took about 11 days to get...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Short-B...81192225067%26

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:24 AM

DL, the clutch lever replacement was pretty straightforward. I referenced the thread that weljo mentions above and found it helpful. Watch for the small coil spring that maintains the tension in the lever at rest. When I took off the broken lever it went s p r o i n g across the garage. I found it and managed to put it back in the proper place by noting the round mark it had left on the broken lever...just positioned it at the same spot on the new lever when reassembling.

Is the old lady paying for your repairs?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Bike Bandit, part # 13236 (for '09, '10 Vs), $51.00.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks fellows for your post. Very good info. (my bike is black, 2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Is the old lady paying for your repairs?
She is. I don't want to file a claim for 100$ worth of damages, even if I am not at fault. An insurer admitted to me in the past, in a surprising candid way, that it doesn't matter who's at fault. If you file ANY claim more than 2 per 3 years period (varies), they will put you a tag, whatever that means. I prefer keeping my rate low than spoiling my record.

Thats the 2nd time I get hit by an old boomer. Some guy bump my rear tire with his pickup truck at a light 2 months ago. My license plate bent a bit.

These elderly are a danger to themselves and other...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL74 View Post
Thanks fellows for your post. Very good info. (my bike is black, 2010)...These elderly are a danger to themselves and other...
Not ALL of them. I'm 'elderly'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Welcome from a fellow New Englander. GL with ur repair.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 PM

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode