Hello Versys Peeps! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello Versys Peeps!

Hi all,

Thanks in part to the great info on this forum, I've chosen a new 2012 yellow/black Versys as my first mc. I put ~30k miles on my old 2006 Vespa 250, and a few on my old '77 P200 in the SF Bay Area in about 2.5 years. Love to ride!!! Will have to get comfortable on a much bigger bike through the twisties.

I currently live in Cle Elum, WA, and am looking forward to my first ride on the Cascade Loop. Part of the reason I chose this bike is so I can ride from here to SF when I get homesick .

I ordered the yellow/black sidebags, heated grips, and taller windscreen. I have to wait one week and one day before it's here, and it's really really real.....

Oh, I also test-rode the new Honda 500 - sweet, but yesterday's demo ride on the Versys sealed the deal.

Thanks for the great info here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Also, "Vespa" means wasp in Italian, so with my history, and the new yellow/black bike => Vespa gal.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Question re extended warranty

I forgot to ask: what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty? I purchased the 4 year extended warranty through Kawasaki, but after speaking to the service manager about the reliability of the Versys, am now having buyer's remorse (i.e, the $$ spent). I have 60 days to back out on it.....

Thoughts?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa gal View Post
I forgot to ask: what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty? I purchased the 4 year extended warranty through Kawasaki, but after speaking to the service manager about the reliability of the Versys, am now having buyer's remorse (i.e, the $$ spent). I have 60 days to back out on it.....

Thoughts?
Welcome to a great bike and forum. Personally I wouldn't buy the extra warranty cause I like working on my own stuff, cars and bikes but I did buy extra warranty on a 2011 Nissan I bought last year ...

There is always a chance you could get a lemon but with Kawasaki's reliability record or any metric bike, that is doubtful.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome from way down under
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

"Waspy!!!!

Ignore my last message to you as you have now explained why you give yourself the Vespa moniker (I had to spell check that one!)

Extra warranty?.....my view on extra insurance is that it can become a drug to some people, we must break the habit, keep your money & spend it on beer!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa gal View Post

Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd back out. Generally, extended warranties (for homes, cars, appliances, motorcycles, etc.) are high profit and low risk for the warranty seller. They commonly won't cover "normal wear" items like tires, batteries, chains, brake pads and so forth, and that's what you will end up spending money on.

IMHO, the Versys is reliable as a stone, though a bit more complex. You might have to spend some hard earned $$$ on the occasional repair, but the odds are pretty reasonable it could be less than what you're paying for the extended warranty.

My Versys doesn't have a pile of miles on it just yet, but my BMW K75S has over 54,000 on the clock and it has never needed anything beyond regular maintenance and a little TLC (knock on wood). It's a German stone.

Just my two cents.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-26-2013 at 09:43 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 PM

As for the warranty issue it would be a "peace of mind," if you do not enjoy wrenching on your on bike. Hope you enjoy your "versatile" machine.
Also jealous of your locale for riding..."Heaven on two wheels"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode