Greetings from South Africa - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Greetings from South Africa

Greets,

just signed up for the forum, even though I don't have my Versys yet I am as excited as a pensioner on Bingo night about getting my hands on one.

I have to wait until the 7th of July to write my bike learners before I can get financing and insurance Regrettably the banking laws have changed and the financing companies aren't allowed to give finance without proof of either a learner's license or a full license... really sucks. Especially because the oil price is mucking around with import costs and general inflation. The dealership guy has told me they have already started getting price increase notifications.

At the moment the V is retailing is SA at 64.5k, now I have to wait and see what happens when prices jump before I can buy it

This will be my first bike, after considering the BMW GS and Dakar's I came across the Versys one day and I stopped looking. I've gone to various dealerships to look at, sit on, hug, lick, drool over the Versys, I CAN'T WAIT!!

I took my wife to go look at it again over the weekend and she said "As long as you know you have to buy 2 helmets." ...whohoo!

Anyways, hi, I'll just hang around here for another 41 days and ogle everyone else's pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Welcome!

Do they have a progressive license program in South Africa?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Bob

ey Paladin, (Thanks for welcome )

well how it works is that you first acquire a learners license (same counts for different types of vehicles) by writing a test on the theory of the road and a small section on the vehicle you intend to ride/drive. This is then valid for 18 months. (You can have a look at http://www.salearners.co.za if you are interested )

Any time inside that 18 months you can schedule an appointment for you actual license test, which in the case of a bike license involves you on your bike performing several things that shows the traffic officer conducting the test that you can handle a bike. Things like sudden evasive action, speed control, balance and traffic awareness etc.

So if you have been on the road illegally for some time on your bike you could theoretically do both the learners and "passing out" test on the same day... would be a bit suspect though

There is also different license types for bikes, <125cc and >125cc, typically school kids are limited to a <125cc license.

Problem is that there are huge backlogs country wide, not all traffic departments perform the tests, at the moment the shortest wait for a learners appointment is about 2 months and for the actual full license test 9 months. Pretty ridiculous. Add to that the fact that they adopted a new country wide traffic system last year (called eNatis) which turned out to be very unstable initially and the problem just worsened.

At least my learner's appointment is approaching, until then I'll just have to settle with taking my buddie's Dakar for a spin in the parking lot

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Welcome !!!!!

'15 DL1000
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Welcome Bob,

I understand your anticipation. In Quebec, we have to take the written exam to get a learners permit, than a course of 20 hours, got for a close circuit test, you then get your apprentice licence which enables you to ride your bike as long as you are ''accompanied'' by another biker. After 7months of this, you then pass your road test to get your full fledge friving licence and this no matter how much driving experience you have.
Meanwhile any kid above 14 can do a written exam and drive off in traffic with a scooter! Makes no sense what so ever, but how can you argue with government.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Bob

thanks guys,

jeepers actar, that sounds even tighter than what we have. Luckily here, once you have your learners license, your only real restriction is you are not allowed to lift anyone, other than that you are free to drive your bike as you wish.

Once you complete the full license testing you have to go and renew it every 5 years. BUT, the renewal does not involve any more bike or knowledge tests, you basically just go for an eye test again and they need to see you didn't all of a sudden grow an extra leg or something that would restrict your driving

Tried to check in on the forum from home last night but it kept timing out, so unless there was some maintanance on the forum last night my ISP was probably having international bandwidth problems.

98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Welcome Bob,

I understand your anticipation. In Quebec, we have to take the written exam to get a learners permit, than a course of 20 hours, got for a close circuit test, you then get your apprentice licence which enables you to ride your bike as long as you are ''accompanied'' by another biker. After 7months of this, you then pass your road test to get your full fledge friving licence and this no matter how much driving experience you have.
Meanwhile any kid above 14 can do a written exam and drive off in traffic with a scooter! Makes no sense what so ever, but how can you argue with government.

What a difference between provences. In Ontario you take your learner's permit written test - cost $15.00. If you fail that, OMT just encourages you to take it again - that day! I saw it with my own eyes. After you have your learners permit you are licensed to ride - yip, go out and get yourself that Hayabusa! No restriction - except for that you can't ride after dark, no faster than 80 kmh, no passengers and no alcohol (but who's looking?). The learner's permit is good for 60 days - you either have to test for your M2 or take the course - your choice. After passing the test or the course then you can do any thing you want except drink and ride. You have to wait until you get your full M license to drink and ride. The M2 lasts for 18 - 22 months if you took the course and 24 months if you 'tested out'.

I see this as more a tax revenue generating scheme than teaching anybody anything about motorcycle safety. It's a beuracrats way of saying they are doing something about motorcycle safety.

Makes no sense. I have my M2 Exit Course this weekend. I do feel the M1 Exit Course (same as MSF Basic Riders Course) was worth it and I wish it was mandatory instead of optional.

Last edited by Ocean; 06-05-2008 at 10:19 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Hi Bob

Nice to see other South Africans on the site .

Which dealer are you getting your versys from ?

Why dont you put down a deposit so they hold it for you , then you wont be affected by price increases ?

My 2c is its wrong that anyone can get a learners here and go out and buy a ZX10 , R1 or turbo Busa and ride it without restrictions . Too many of these guys dont make it past the first month before wiping themselves and the bikes out .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Ey Shawn,

I'm going to be buying from the guys at Renegade Kawasaki, the guy I've been dealing with has been very helpful and they are very close to where I currently work, so it is good for assistance

Deposit was a bit hard, been pushing money into my bakkie to pay it off (Which I finally did last week) before I can buy the V.

As far as rider training, I'm all for having to get mandatory lessons say directly after you write the learners before you are allowed to purchase a bike... but can you imagine the delays that would cause? And the longer you make the waiting periods the more people are just going to get their hands on illegal licenses.

Already have the number of a rider trainer, got his name from two different friends and also saw his name mentioned on the BMW forum the other day.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Bob - so you are in the cape Town area , awesome riding there for the Versys .

I was not aiming my comment at you regarding the Licence etc , just making a general comment . I am in the motorcycle industry and hate seeing people losing there lives because they simply cant handle the bikes they buy .

Good luck for the learners it will be here before you know it .
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Bob

no probs guy, no offense taken

And yes... soon soon.... just in time for winter to hit full swing , and then the V will have to stay in the garage until the weather starts clearing up. Will have to ride it in neighbourhood any dry chance I get.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode