New Versys Owner Intro - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys Owner Intro

Hey everyone my name is Tristan, I live in Calgary Ab, and just picked up an '07 Versys last week. Right off the bat looking for recommendations on a seat upgrade as some friends and I are doing a ~4000 mile trip in September. Also looking for recommendations on a good set of 80:20 street:dirt tires as this trip will cover about 400 miles of dirt road. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM

Garage
Welcome Tristan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:38 AM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Dead thread revival!!!

I posted an introduction once and then basically disappeared from the forum. I intend on being more active now, as I'll be shopping for some parts.

Also just started an office job about a month ago and I find myself looking for things to do...like post on motorcycle forums...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 PM

back!

That thread did die. I hope you found info you needed and got your V sorted out for that trip.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Tristan, are you a speed-freak street rider? Do you strive to scrape pegs and 'get your knee down' ?

If not, then I would suggest you get tires that are more dirt oriented than 80:20. If you hit a little rain, or terrain that is saturated from old rains, in that 400 miles of rough roads and get a little mud, or sand.... you will really wish you had tires that were setup 50:50, or 40:60.

On a 4000 mile trip, you will need tires that are speed rated. (Q=100, R=106, S=112 MPH).

Read the reviews on these, they come in tubeless sizes that will fit your versys.
http://www.bikebandit.com/conti-twin...otorcycle-tire

However, they are BIAS PLY, which means they will handle differently than street tires do. But, like I mentioned, if you are hitting sandy, muddy, soft terrain, you can thank me later as you have to wait for your ridding buddies who are constantly picking up their bikes after they dump them over and over again.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Ben, thanks for the detailed reply.

I had to push the trip back by a year due to work, so looking at departing in August.

I do tend to corner quickly when I'm out for a day ride in the mountains; I've had the pegs down a few times. I don't do a lot of off road riding for fun on a week to week basis, however, for the trip setup I like the idea of going for a more dirt bias. It's pretty straight roads for a lot of where we'll be riding, so the all out grip on the edges of the tires will be a lot less important on the trip.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 PM

Oh, and Tristan, I had a dual sport bike, Yamaha WR250R, a friend with more trail riding than I told me this trick one day when we hit a trail with a lot of muck and sandy parts. It made a HUGE difference in the ability of the tires to grip in the loose stuff. When you are going to do long stretches of road that you wouldn't drive a car down, and you won't be going over 25 MPH, lower your tire pressure to about 18psi. It will make the grip on loose surfaces amazing. You will have to get a portable pump that attaches to a powerlet or SAE connector so that you can pump them back up when you get to a road.

I am only telling you this because you mentioned "400 miles of dirt road". You might want to invest in some good boots if you don't already have them. You won't need motocross, heavy, articulated armor things... but something that will protect your ankles, calves, shins etc. When "kicking-off" of stuff you will bang everything below your knee on parts of your bike, and bang your toes and ankles and heels on stuff. The boots usually have a reinforced shank too, so that you can stand up on your pegs without killing your arches.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...scout-wp-boots These are really stiff at first, so you will need to break them in before your trip. Take them for a good hike up a hill to get them flexible.

If you have a pair of boots that come up 3-4 inches over your ankles and they have a good toe box and heel cup, then you don't necessarily have to have "motorcycle" boots. but they need to protect your ankle/shin/toes/heels from banging on footpegs and rocks, allow you to stand on the shank in the sole without flexing too much, and give your ankle some support.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Hey Tristan. I live down by Lethbridge and come up to Calgary here and there. Maybe we can put together an Alberta group ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRussoUSA View Post
Oh, and Tristan, I had a dual sport bike, Yamaha WR250R, a friend with more trail riding than I told me this trick one day when we hit a trail with a lot of muck and sandy parts. It made a HUGE difference in the ability of the tires to grip in the loose stuff. When you are going to do long stretches of road that you wouldn't drive a car down, and you won't be going over 25 MPH, lower your tire pressure to about 18psi. It will make the grip on loose surfaces amazing. You will have to get a portable pump that attaches to a powerlet or SAE connector so that you can pump them back up when you get to a road.

I am only telling you this because you mentioned "400 miles of dirt road". You might want to invest in some good boots if you don't already have them. You won't need motocross, heavy, articulated armor things... but something that will protect your ankles, calves, shins etc. When "kicking-off" of stuff you will bang everything below your knee on parts of your bike, and bang your toes and ankles and heels on stuff. The boots usually have a reinforced shank too, so that you can stand up on your pegs without killing your arches.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...scout-wp-boots These are really stiff at first, so you will need to break them in before your trip. Take them for a good hike up a hill to get them flexible.

If you have a pair of boots that come up 3-4 inches over your ankles and they have a good toe box and heel cup, then you don't necessarily have to have "motorcycle" boots. but they need to protect your ankle/shin/toes/heels from banging on footpegs and rocks, allow you to stand on the shank in the sole without flexing too much, and give your ankle some support.
Thanks again for all the detailed info Ben.

I should have mentioned that the "400 miles of dirt road" is mostly Northwest Territories Highways 1 and 7, which are good, hard packed dirt that I've driven cars on. (Rental Chevy Malibu, Hertz loved us when we got back) That said, I wouldn't mind kicking off onto some smaller, less maintained trails for some entertainment now and then. We're also thinking of venturing part way up the Dempster depending on how much time we have and weather conditions, as it can get pretty messy pretty quickly.

I've got a pair of A-stars boots already, a little more sport oriented but same length as those scouts that you linked.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Hey Tristan. I live down by Lethbridge and come up to Calgary here and there. Maybe we can put together an Alberta group ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hey Tom, I'm going down to Montana with the V on Friday to pick up some car parts at the Sweetgrass shipping outlet, gonna make a bit of a loop towards Browning and back up through Waterton Lakes if you want to come for rip on some roads that aren't deadpan straight all day.

Check out the "Calgary Motorcyclists" on meetups.com, I've yet to ride with them but they do rides from Calgary to a different place (Longview, Blairmore, Canmore, Radium) almost weekly.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 AM

Awesome. I looked up that group. Seems like they do tons of get togethers. Too bad I'm working on Friday or I'd tag along.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wall View Post
Hey Tom, I'm going down to Montana with the V on Friday to pick up some car parts at the Sweetgrass shipping outlet, gonna make a bit of a loop towards Browning and back up through Waterton Lakes if you want to come for rip on some roads that aren't deadpan straight all day.
Be SURE to ride 89 north to St Mary from Browning. It's SO-O-O good that I've camped in that area when doing Glacier, so that EACH day I got to ride 89 TWICE! BUT - it's "open range" so watch for cows....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Be SURE to ride 89 north to St Mary from Browning. It's SO-O-O good that I've camped in that area when doing Glacier, so that EACH day I got to ride 89 TWICE! BUT - it's "open range" so watch for cows....

That was supposed to be on my route!

Unfortunately, however, the ride never happened. The evening before I was supposed to go, I was rear ended while riding to a friend's place to watch the game. I'm mostly alright, just a sprained ankle and some whiplash (wear your gear!!!) but the bike is most likely written off.

So I may be shopping around on here for a new V over the next few months...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wall View Post
That was supposed to be on my route!

Unfortunately, however, the ride never happened. The evening before I was supposed to go, I was rear ended while riding to a friend's place to watch the game. I'm mostly alright, just a sprained ankle and some whiplash (wear your gear!!!) but the bike is most likely written off.

So I may be shopping around on here for a new V over the next few months...
Glad you didn't get REALLY hurt! Get another V and do the ride 'whenever' - NOW that all the planning's been done!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode