Looking at a Versys, it's a tall bike! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking at a Versys, it's a tall bike!

Hi!,

Looking for a new bike and I'm really interested in the Versys. I was lucky enough to take one for a test ride over the weekend and here are my initial thoughts. First the good, loved the motor and drive train. Very smooth and a lot of torque, especially for a 650 twin. For the not so good the bike actually 'felt' taller than I thought it would. Not shockingly so, but I had more of the feeling that I was sitting on top of the bike rather than in it. (For the record I'm just under 5'11" so I'm not a small guy) I would imagine that I would get used to it and besides that the bike is just what I'm looking for, but I wanted to ask riders that have had the bike for awhile if that was their initial impression and if it's still an issue after living with the bike long term.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM

I think depending on what you're coming from the Versys can feel tall at first. For me now, my other bike feels short. Everyone here loves their Versys, so you will surely get lots of encouragement to go for it. There are many things to love about it. For me it really is the perfect do everything bike, and it does everything well. Urban streets, freeway commutes, touring/camping, canyon carving.

I'm just under 6' tall and the height is perfect for me. If you find that you don't get used to it, there are lowering kits (e.g., Speedy's lowering kit, do a search here, you might even find one used).

I've had my Versys for coming up on a year and a half and ride almost everyday. I have never regretted it once. Brings a smile to my face every time.

I guess another thought would be that if you prefer sitting more "in" the bike there's the ER6-N, essentially the same bike, but different suspension, plastics, etc. I haven't sat on one in a couple of years, so don't know what that's like, but my guess is that it has a little more of a sport bike feel and less of the adventure touring feel.

Keep us posted!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
I know that Kawasaki doesn't make the ER6N anymore but there are a few used ones around. Does anyone know how the riding position is compared to the 650 Ninja / Versys??? I hate to sound like Goldilocks, but the Ninja feels a bit small and the Versys feels a bit tall. Something in the middle might be perfect...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM

You can make the Versys as low as you like. I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inseam, and flat-foot it easily. Loaded, my 09 V has a 28" seat height. Lots of information on the Forum on lowering to the level you like.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
When I first got my '04 KLR I was intimidated by its height (5'10" w/ 31" inseam), so I lowered it. After awhile I put it back to stock height, so when I got my Vs I never concerned myself w/ the height and left 'em stock.

STILL - every now-and-then I get an "...oh sh*t moment" putting a foot down.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign596 View Post
Hi!,

Looking for a new bike and I'm really interested in the Versys. I was lucky enough to take one for a test ride over the weekend and here are my initial thoughts. First the good, loved the motor and drive train. Very smooth and a lot of torque, especially for a 650 twin. For the not so good the bike actually 'felt' taller than I thought it would. Not shockingly so, but I had more of the feeling that I was sitting on top of the bike rather than in it. (For the record I'm just under 5'11" so I'm not a small guy) I would imagine that I would get used to it and besides that the bike is just what I'm looking for, but I wanted to ask riders that have had the bike for awhile if that was their initial impression and if it's still an issue after living with the bike long term.

Thanks!
You very quickly get used to the extra height and it is really a non issue to me. It does not affect handling as the bike leans into a turn. The only time I notice it is pushing the bike up off the side stand. That said a taller bike I find is a lot easier to drop at a stop. Once you get it off center at a stand still, it is a lot harder to recover from. For this reason I installed SW-Motech crash bars and they have saved the bike on many occasions. I highly recommend this mod. For instance I have stopped across a steep slope, realized at the last minute my left foot is not long enough to reach the ground with it sloping away and dropped the bike.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

After a few canyons and mountain roads this past weekend, I can't imagine what would be so fun that's not European or a sport bike.

Other wise I'm tall 6' 4" and had to get the footpeg lowering kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Colorado State University: Wildlife and Fishery Biology.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM

I'm 5'8" and the feeling of it being tall was instant when I rode it from the showroom. Buying the low gel seat for me has been the best accessory in a list of great accessories for the bike.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 PM

I'm 6'1 and I find the bike to be a bit tall for my liking. Especially where I added a Seat Customs aftermarket seat which adds an extra inch...
I do feel like I'm riding "on" the bike and not "in" it...........and I do quite miss the feeling of being "in" a bike. However, the V fun to ride
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM

5'8" (30" inseam) here. Speedy's lowering kit did the trick. I love the height. Coming from a cruiser, it did feel extremely tall for a while.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM

I'm 5'8"/30" inseam... Stock seat and pegs. No problems at all.
I can't flat foot both feet at the same time... but I rarely put more than one foot down at a stop.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

STILL - every now-and-then I get an "...oh sh*t moment" putting a foot down.
Gee that's good to know ...

On my last outting, I had to do a quick u-turn, and in the middle of my move, I also had to put mine out to prevent dumping the bike
At that time I was pissed at myself, but now that I know I'm not the only one, makes me feel better !!!

And btw, welcome ivabing596
LOP
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Garage
I'm 5' 9" 31 inseam. Got the V and love it. Got a lowering kit about 1 month after owning it. For whatever reason after I lowered it, I now felt like part of the bike not riding way up there. I also reshaped the seat to better fit me to the bike. or was that the bike to me?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM

I too felt the stock height was tall. Luckily I found one w/ a 1" lowering link in it already when hunting for one (I'm 5'8" w/ a 30" inseam (32" to the ground) & I'm flat foot on it. You may only need a lower seat rather than the lowering kit as you've got a few inches on us shorties. One of the nice things about the V is sitting on it, gives you a good viewing position. Good luck in your decision. Lots of good advise on here
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM

The Versys feels like a low rider in height compaired to my XR 650 dual sport.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
The Versys feels like a low rider in height compaired to my XR 650 dual sport.
Same for my KLR. I can get the balls of both feet on the ground OR flatfoot one side not both. Old dirt biker use to and don't bat an eye.

I got to sit on a BMW 650GS with the low kit...felt like a kiddie push bike! I could flatfoot both feet and then standing had 6" clearance between butt and saddle. I'm 6' with a 31 inseam and this bike was setup for a guy who's 5'5". That's the thing HIS bike fits HIM, MY bike fits ME and we're both happy.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode