Helmet ideas? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet ideas?

I currently wear a 1/2 shell Scorpion and I like the wind in my face! The Versys is sportier than the vulcan 900lt I traded for it....looking for ideas on a helmet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Helmets are a very personal choice. I choose safety and comfort and for me, that lead me to a Scorpion EXO1000 (now the EXO1100). Because this one works well for me, does not mean it will work well for others.

Some wear more of a dual sport helmet. I prefer a helmet with a face shield due to not wanting bugs to hit me in the face at speed.

I will offer you a feature that I now require in any helmet - an internal drop down sun visor.. When its time for my next helmet, I will consider a modular full face (lift up chin bar) and an internal sun visor. I can ride all day and when the suns goes down, I just flip up the sun visor and I still have my clear for the night.

There a many shapes and styles of helmets out there, shop around and try on a bunch. That's what I did and am very satisfied.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 AM

I wear a helmet for protection. Nothing protects like a good quality full-face helmet. I prefer Shoei helmets, but there's a lot of good helmets out there. The modular ones aren't Snell approved (unless things have changed without me knowing) because if you happen to land chin first it may not offer the protection a regular full-face gives. I use a tinted face shield, but carry my clear one in case it's needed. Even the mid and low price helmets tend to be pretty good these days. Find one that's comfortable.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As Capn Kirk says, helmets are a very personal choice. I've had more than a dozen over the years and, thus far, none has been perfect though some have come close. Comfort is a prime criteria for me as well - weight, wind noise, ventilation, and helmet shape are important to me. My all time favorite was the old Simpson "Darth Vader" full coverage; unfortunately, I had to retire it some 25 years ago. Ah well.

My helmet type of choice is full coverage, and I have both standard and flip up models. Waaay back in the day, full coverage were more and more commonly being required for club road racing events so that's when I made the change.

I wouldn't revert to open face again. Maybe that comes from being hit in the cheek by a three pound June bug while wearing an open face helmet a long time ago while in college. That particular bug was a prototype apparently - composed of depleted uranium. Must have been from looking at the scar just to the left of my nose - and it's still there some 45 years later. Also, as I recall the CDC once published an article indicating about one third of all motorcycle accidents involved chin injury, Though my chin isn't particularly handsome, I rather like it the way it is - undamaged.

Between my wife and I we have Bell, Z1R, HJC, AGV, Scorpion, and Zeus. The Z1R fits the shape of my head best, the Bell is the quietest, the AGV is my favorite flip-up, and the Zeus is the most comfortable (but they're hard to find). My wife's favorite is her Scorpion. Gives you the impression the isn't a single "best."

The best bet is to try on whatever you're considering, and wear it for more than a few minutes if possible. It's surprising how long it takes for hot spots to show up in some helmets. You think it feels fine and then on the first long ride it begins to press somewhere on your head and you wonder why you ever bought the thing in the first place.

There's my two cents for what it's worth.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
The best bet is to try on whatever you're considering, and wear it for more than a few minutes if possible. It's surprising how long it takes for hot spots to show up in some helmets.
When I bought my Scorpion, the shop insisted that I first 'test fit' it by wearing it around the store for 30 minutes.

'09 Versys
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM

arai

I really like my arai xd helmet, it's like a mx helmet with sun peak and flip visor , known as a crossover style.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter650 View Post
I really like my arai xd helmet, it's like a mx helmet with sun peak and flip visor , known as a crossover style.
+1

The sun peak is invaluable during early morning and late afternoon riding. I don't leave home without my Arai XD.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1

The sun peak is invaluable during early morning and late afternoon riding. I don't leave home without my Arai XD.
This is the first bike I've owned where I sit upright, and am thinking a visor would come in real handy. I'm thinking about this Arai XD. How is it at highway speeds? Any issue with wind getting under the visor and snapping your head back?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
This is the first bike I've owned where I sit upright, and am thinking a visor would come in real handy. I'm thinking about this Arai XD. How is it at highway speeds? Any issue with wind getting under the visor and snapping your head back?
No such issues at all... I've put 15,000+ miles on my XD since purchasing it and my 2011 Versys including many long days in the saddle... all with no problems at all. Just did 280 Interstate miles yesterday... 70-85mph sustained... In rain and shine... perfect choice for me.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys

Last edited by genehil; 07-14-2013 at 03:29 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
No such issues at all... I've put 15,000+ miles on my XD since purchasing it and my 2011 Versys including many long days in the saddle... all with no problems at all. Just did 280 Interstate miles yesterday... 70-85mph sustained... In rain and shine... perfect choice for me.
Great, thanks! The place I get my Arais from had to put a disclaimer on their site about possible problems with highway riding...something their lawyers probably made them do. Good to hear it's not an issue.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Great, thanks! The place I get my Arais from had to put a disclaimer on their site about possible problems with highway riding...something their lawyers probably made them do. Good to hear it's not an issue.
Yeah... I saw that warning too. Lawyer-speak for sure.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 AM

I'm Using Gmax GM54 with LED BRAKE-LIGHT KIT and it's good looking
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, I see the speed limits in Florida have increased since I left Tampa some years ago.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM

The populace here is pretty safety-minded, so you'll hear many recommendations to go full face, including from me. I realize that not everyone is willing to do that, though, so I'll encourage you to at least get a 3/4 lid. Several manufacturers make them with flip-up shields. Between rocks and hornets and the aforementioned June bugs, riding with no shield on the highway is basically asking for a bloody face. Cruiser riders can often get away with it because of the big ol' shields they often wear (don't know what you were running on your LT), but no available shield for the Versys will provide that sort of coverage, though the big CalSci probably comes close.

Back to helmets. Brand-wise, I've been happy with Shoei so far. Got burned by my first helmet, which was a Bell, but that was a few years ago now, so perhaps they've improved. Realistically, protection is comparable across most manufacturers, so try on lots of stuff until you find something that both fits well and is comfortable. There's been much debate over standards, with quite a few people claiming that the Snell standard is too hard, and that the softer ECE standard is safer. Head over to webbikeworld.com for more helmet info than you could ever want.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksgal View Post
I currently wear a 1/2 shell Scorpion and I like the wind in my face! The Versys is sportier than the vulcan 900lt I traded for it....looking for ideas on a helmet
Extensive research at WebBikeWorld !

Maybe something will enlight you

LOP
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
For an inexpensive 'sun-shield', I run TWO rows of electricians tape across the top of all my helmet visors, on the inside, and since doing that have NOT had an issue w/ glare from the sun.

Cheap and easy!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Personally I always look for SNELL certified helmets. I ride with a Shoei quest.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Colorado State University: Wildlife and Fishery Biology.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
For an inexpensive 'sun-shield', I run TWO rows of electricians tape across the top of all my helmet visors, on the inside, and since doing that have NOT had an issue w/ glare from the sun.

Cheap and easy!
I was thinking along those lines as well. An extra visor I could leave tape on is a helluva lot less expensive than another helmet. I already bought one this year.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosenart View Post
Personally I always look for SNELL certified helmets. I ride with a Shoei quest.
I also have a Shoei Qwest. It's a pretty phenomenal all-around helmet. The Air-GT looks nicer, but is WAY more money.

I used to wish I had a flip-down sunshade, but after switching to a tinted lens I don't mind. Unless it's actually a night ride it's not too dark, and it cuts the sunlight just fine.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM

I wear a Shoei Hornet (crossover style) and love it. Like many others, I prefer a full face helmet, but if you don't like it, you won't wear it, and that won't help you at all. Best thing to do is figure out what you don't like about your current helmet, find a number of helmets that address the issues, then go to a shop and try them on. Not all helmets fit the same, so trying them on is a must.

Good luck,
Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode