My first bike, The Versys, from Tucson, AZ. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My first bike, The Versys, from Tucson, AZ.

What's up guys? Well, where do I begin? I've wanted a bike since High School (parents wouldn't allow it), then in college, I could barely cover Ramen Noodle expense, so now the whole universe has come together and everything lined up. For starters, I'm a first-time road bike owner/rider (virgin, yes, where do I put it?). I’ve ridden dirt-bikes with the buddies years ago though. I'm 31 years old and my obsession with buying a bike began about a month ago. I wasn't sure what I was looking for but I know that I'm too old for crotch-rockets and couldn't get a cruiser since I look ridiculous in ass-less chaps. Knowing so little about the cycle biz, I walked into the local (Tucson, AZ) Harley Dealer and the first bike that jumped out at me was a Buell Ulysses. Nice looking but it's an ample 1200cc and costs 12G's to boot. The second shop I walked into, RideNow Powersports (on 22nd) and within about 20 seconds, I was drooling over and yearning-for the Kawasaki Versys. In this vast ocean of bikes, it was the only one that even kind-of blew my skirt up (Cross dressing only okay on the weekends, :P). Like a stray puppy finding a loving home, I found the Versys, and to say I was totally hooked would be an understatement! That same day, I signed up for the Rider Course and bought the book Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David Hough (Highly Recommended Reading for all riders and any skill level! I killed it in about three days). My Versys obsession was in full swing, and Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Yamaha etc don’t have beans remotely close in coolness to the Versys, in my opinion. Anyhoo, since the earliest I could get the Rider Course taken is late June, I’ve had a few weeks to stop by the store, look at the Versys, sit on it, daydream on it, lose bargaining power, and just talk about it with the guys there who are all really good guys. So Thursday (5-22-08), I had the day off, and was running me errands, anxious about taking the course in about a month, then buying my Versys, when I decided to stop by another Bike Shop just down the road from RideNow named Cycles, Skies, and ATV’s. Knowing full well I wanted something they couldn’t offer, I strolled in just to kill some time, talk bikes, and meet some more local enthusiasts who could potentially become riding partners, down the road – pun intended. <u>Low and Behold</u>, there’s a prideful 2008 Kawasaki Versys sitting there Shiny and <i>like</i> New. 788 Miles on it, never even been sneezed-on wrong. While I was there, some little bastard got there and also started looking at it, sitting on it, taking cell phone pictures of it, and drooling over it, just like me. Talking to the sales person Jim (awesome guy) he told me they had gotten it two days prior from some “older guy” who obviously decided owning the ultimate machine wasn’t for him. The only modification was a Muzzy Exhaust, aside from that, this Versys looked <b>exactly</b> like the brand new one down the road. The original stock exhaust was also turned-in with the bike in case I wanted to put it back on. I sat down with Jim to “talk numbers” and it turns out, I’d be saving about $1,500 “out-the-door” from the best-price brand new one at RideNow. The deal was too good to pass up and within about an hour the forms were signed and the bike can now call me daddy! They delivered it in all its glamour yesterday, and even though I don’t even have a Riders Permit, I rode it over to my friends house where a bunch of guys were getting together for a BBQ and to watch the Spurs get their asses handed to them. Everyone was admiring my newly-acquired strange-looking machine of perfection, and some of the guys even took it around the block. They were freaking out at how light it is, with so much muscle. The topic was mainly, is it a sport bike, a tourer, a…what the hell is it? I’m so excited but I just can’t wait to get better at riding it and oh yeah, get licensed. After saying a couple Hail-Mary’s and an Our Father, I took it out for about an hour earlier today and am still a little nervous about riding in traffic amongst the artillery of the streets. With the Muzzy exhaust the bike is very loud and I’m not sure if I want to keep it on there or have them put the stock exhaust back on. The guys at the shop told me loud bikes are safer. I’ll keep you guys posted. <b>Stay Safe!</b>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	115  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 AM

It's amazing how many parts of your story reflect the exact same way how this all happened for me. The stars aligned and shazam! Welcome!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM

According to the laws of physics the whole loud bikes save lives is a myth.

Here is a good article on it.

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp

I think you save more lives if you wear a high vis jacket.

BTW: That is a nice writeup.

and Welcome.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Replies

Nvoelsch, Isn't it amazing how things work out sometimes. Like that famous quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson goes, "Know what you want, and the whole universe conspires to make it happen." Once I found the Versys, most of my spare time went to stalking it online, pictures, videos on youtube, articles, this forum...etc. I just couldn't wait, and now that I have it and have ridden it, [although I didn't think possible]...I'm even more excited!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Paladin, Thank You for passing on your insight and the article about loud bikes. That was a good read. Since I haven't ridden my Versys much, yet, I still haven't decided which route to take, (1)Possibly safe neighborhood nuisance, or (2) Polite stock bike boy. The good news is that it's only a couple turns of a screwdriver to replace with the original bad-boy. That being said, I'm sure I'll get experimental. Either way, I'm so excited about owning this bike and my enthusiasm grows even stronger everytime I even glance at this bike, let alone, take it for a spin around the block. Again, Mucho Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayf View Post
Nvoelsch, Isn't it amazing how things work out sometimes. Like that famous quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson goes, "Know what you want, and the whole universe conspires to make it happen." Once I found the Versys, most of my spare time went to stalking it online, pictures, videos on youtube, articles, this forum...etc. I just couldn't wait, and now that I have it and have ridden it, [although I didn't think possible]...I'm even more excited!!
I'm still stalking mine. Whenever it sits in the driveway you can find me parting the curtains to peek out at it...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Welcome Clyaf, great story and shared feelings about the bike. I agree with Paladin on being more visible and not noiser to be safe.

I prefer to keep the bike a silent as possible so I can sneek out very early in the morning before the wife and kids are up and enjoy a few hours on the bike!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM

There is very little reason to change the exhaust from what I saw. is the 2-4 hp gain worth $500.00?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode