Versys-newbie in Colorado - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys-newbie in Colorado

Hi, my name is Val Gregory, and it's been 3 hours since my last ride.

I started out with an MSF class in 1983, rode hubby's RD250 until 1986 when the birth of my son (second child) made riding one of those things I had no time for, other than the occasional pillion with hubby on his GS750ES. Fast forward 5 years, The Boy is a long legged moto-crazy youngin', Dad wants to do a charity ride, and Mom (me) and The Girl (age 7) have a Girl Scout campout the same weekend. "Let's see if The Boy can reach the pegs on Suzi!"

That lost me my pillion seat, and something Had to Be Done. So the next spring, hubby talks me into this 2-year-old 650 (650!!!) Honda Hawk GT, and I sign up for another MSF BRC to get back into the saddle. Guys, when you say you wish your significant other enjoyed motorcycles as much as you do, be careful. You might just get your wish. I started out commuting, then making careful forays into the mountains with hubby in the lead, then a buddy at work tells me about this electronic mail list thing that has all sorts of interest areas, including motorcycles. That was my introduction to rec.motorcycles, and eventually a founding lister position on the Hawk GT mail list, which is still going strong. They call me Auntie Val there.

Fast forward again to 2007; The Boy is a year from graduating college, I've put close to 80K on the Hawk, I've got a couple of California Superbike schools under my belt, and I've trucked and ridden the Hawk to rallies in Georgia, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Arkansas. The one I rode to had hubby scared - wifey's out doing 750 mile days on a maintained-by-amateurs 16 year old moto solo across Kansas? Yikes! Oh, and the Versys was introduced. I'd gotten to borrow a Pegaso for a weekend in Georgia a few years before, and knew that this was the sort of bike I wanted to supplement the Hawk. But not the Pegaso - Aprilia quit exporting it to the US shortly after my weekend in Georgia, and I'd heard too many stories indicating that parts were being rowed across the Atlantic by little old italian fishermen. But first we've gotta finish putting The Boy through college. Oh, and pay for a new driveway and garage floor.

A good buddy from the Hawklist gets a Versys and starts telling me about how much fun he's having, what farkles he's adding, "there's a forum for the Versys", etc. (Hi, Peter! <waving>)

So now it's 2009. The Versys comes new in blue and green, nobody's selling used ones. Hubby suggests I wait for a red one. That's the second mistake he's made with me and bikes! Another good buddy from the Hawklist who lived in Albuquerque is looking for a good DS for his new home in Baja del Sur, runs across a Craig's List ad for a 2008 red Versys, and remembers his Auntie Val. Numerous phone calls and emails later, we're in New Mexico with an envelope full of cash and my gear in the van.

So that's me. I take turns commuting with both bikes; the Hawk gets the nod for canyon carving, and the Versys for long days on straighter roads (don't worry, it'll see the twisties, too). The plan is to have two other good friends from the Hawklist restore that bike mechanically and cosmetically sometime in the next year or so, now that there's a stablemate to take up the slack.

I read through the "thing I hate most about my Versys" thread this morning and I think I can help with riding in crosswinds. My commute frequently features crosswinds of 40mph steady with gusts in excess of 60 mph in the spring, and it was a windy day coming back from New Mexico, too. Lean into it. We got caught with a gust in NM that shoved our little van onto the shoulder; when hubby looked back to make sure I was okay, he said I was leaned 30-40 degrees from vertical, still on the inside edge of the outer third of the lane, just like they taught me in the BRC. I remember that as a "whoa!" moment, but not all that scary. The other trick I've learned is to let my head flop over into the wind, so I'm not straining my neck trying to hold my head straight up. A good Beemer buddy discovered sticking your windward knee out can aid stability. But the most important thing about riding in crosswinds, especially gusty ones (and I got it from hubby) is simply this: Relax. Your. Arms. Don't fight it, lean into it. It's like dancing! I look forward to those windy days now, they're fun!

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?
She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."
- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Hi Val and welcome. I'm in Colorado Springs and bought my V new from Salida Motorsports in July. This is a great forum and you will get a lot of ideas. Have fun and I'll see you in the mountains.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Hey Val welcome aboard!

I live in Firestone, just ease of Longmont. I bought my bike 1 year ago from Rocky Mtn Kawasaki. I just turned 6800 miles. Love the bike and am looking to do longer rides this summer. Have fun and if you are ever up my way let me know, I can show you some great roads.

Jerry

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
psc

Auntie Val,

Good to see you join up. Rest assured that we'll all help you loosen the purse strings and farkle up. Yep, we're good at this...

Oh yeah, your first free one is on it's way. See you in eleven days...

Peter
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
Auntie Val,

Good to see you join up. Rest assured that we'll all help you loosen the purse strings and farkle up. Yep, we're good at this...

Oh yeah, your first free one is on it's way. See you in eleven days...

Peter
Heh, like I need help - the H&B crash bars are already on order.

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM

I'm in Denver. Perhaps I will see you around.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm in Parker, Just close on an 08. Booked all week so have to wait for delivery on Sat. Hope will see some of you out there soon.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Riding every day to work now. I could swear a clone of my versys pass my by in Lincoln and Peoria yesterday when I was going to the office.

Bueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Farkle update - after lunch with psc earlier this week, I rode back to work with one of Speedy's Flatfoot kits in a 'stich pocket. By the time I left for home, the sidestand had buried itself in the asphalt, so it got installed that evening - nice!

Still waiting for the crash guards. Ordered a Fenda Extenda and rear hugger today.

Fun, fun, fun...

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Hello Val,I will be riding my Versys to Colorado from PA in june to Gunnison for the STN National meet, the group will be at the Gunnison inn and Quality Inn there june15-17 lots of riders from everywhere.If you and yours are in the area stop by and say hello. Also I will be wandering the area from the millon doaller highway to the Black cnyon,grand mesa,so if you see a Versys with Pa plates and STN stickers,its probley me

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 05-08-2009 at 03:06 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 AM

maddjack,

I will be at the STN National Meet as well. I figured I would have the only V there. Looking forward to meeting and riding with you. See ya soon!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar.45 View Post
maddjack,

I will be at the STN National Meet as well. I figured I would have the only V there. Looking forward to meeting and riding with you. See ya soon!
Counting yours there could be as many as 4

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode