V owner in Montana - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V owner in Montana

Howdy all!!! I've actually had my V since late June 08, but just recently found this forum, what an awesome place!!!

I'm still a young pup (28), just got married, actually just a few weeks before I got my V (call it a wedding present).

I've been riding, however, since I was in my early teens, beginning on the dirt and trails and actually picking up some of my best early experience ice racing in MN with my old Honda 125.

For High School graduation, I treated myself to an 87 Honda Hurricane (CBR600) for $1000 from my friend, and thus began my lust for street!!!! I loved that bike, even though it was a giant piece of junk.

Had a couple of other bikes of no real consequence, until I bought a used CBR 929 (as you can probably tell, my loyalties pretty much ran for team red.) from a young guy who raced bikes in Brainerd. That thing was just silly how fast it was. Of course the guy hadn't done much to it after getting his new racer, but put the mirrors and street tires back on.

It was actually too fast/too dangerous (at least for my driving record) for me to keep. I met my future wife before I got a new bike, and I forgot about riding... for awhile.

Last Spring I got the bug again, and knew gas prices were only going way up, so the little lady and I went out and bought Vera, a Genuine Blur 150 Scooter to rip around town with. Don't get me wrong, I like that little thing, but it wasn't enough. This is now what my wife (I successfully converter her) is now learning to ride on. We'll probably get her a Suzuki Burgman or other Maxi Scooter in a couple of years as she really likes the CVT Tranny.

A couple months later I found a deal on a 79 Yamaha XS 750 Special. It even came with an airbrushed Pegasus on a Teal tank!!!! I took to calling it the mullet machine and had some good times on that, but noticed quickly that it just was no fun in the twistys. The bike was not happy unless it was going straight on a flat road.

And then I picked up Viggo, my V. Let me start by saying, I may not have bought my V, if the Honda and Yamaha dealers around here weren't jerks. The guys at Kawi were great, so that's where I bought. It was between either the V or an 06 Z1000 with Full Acropovich Titanium System and fully mapped Power Commander. I remembered that having all of that power ultimately leads to me using it, so I jumped at the V.

To be honest, I think it's one of the ugliest bikes I have EVER seen. I think I would really like the look better if the headlight were more traditional looking, or if they'd have worked out a Buell type design. BUT, the ride and practicality of the bike were too good for me to pass up. I slapped on a couple of the Kawi/Givi side bags, the vario windscreen, and a small Cortech tank bag and haven't looked back.

Last week, after reviewing some threads in this wonderful forum, I debadged my V, cut and trimmed off the rat tail, and put the stock potato chip back on, after flipping it upside down. I'm currently saving up my money to buy a Corbin Saddle. And waiting to see if anyone will figure out a center stand for the V. If it's not in production by this winter, I'm going with an exhaust system, either Muzzy or Acropovich.

Anyway, if you're running through Missoula on any of your trips, get ahold of me, would love to take a ride with a fellow V owner. Sorry for the long post, I get long winded when I'm excited about something! Here's a quick picture of Viggo and Vera in their stable for the night for putting up with the long story. Will post better shots of both when I'm not riding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2776  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Welcome! Have a Moose Drool for me!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Welcome. I'm in Helena with a new blue as of December. So I don't have many miles on this one but I also have 6 other bikes to ride.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Nice! I would really like to put together some sort of small ride or rally. Maybe a day tour around Flathead or something? I know there's a swap meet coming up here in Missoula and someone's trying to set up an Association here. Either way, I really want to be able to ride down the road at faster than 55 with some company, that's about as fast as my Wife's scoot will go.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 PM

We'll keep in touch via PM when either of us plans to be in the area. A rally would be great. I'm hoping that the west coast rally comes to pass as I would go to that for sure.
There are supposed to be 2 red V's in Helena but I haven't seen them on the road. I don't think they ride much. I'm retired so I ride all the time. Planning on another trip to Colorado this summer as I do every summer to see my son in Colorado Springs. I take the long way around and spend a week to 10 days and try to hit different mt passes on each trip.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Fun! I'm actually really dissapointed in myself that I haven't gotten out much further than Sula down the Bitteroot. Seems my attempts at purchasing a light tourer has succeeding in actually purchasing a commuter. I'm determined to take some longer rides this year. I know there's at least 2 other Reds and one Blue here in Missoula. Just gotta bump into them sometime. Tell ya what, you tie down those Helena Vs. I'll get the Missoula Vs... we'll set up a nice group ride. Maybe meet in Polson, start out along the East side of Flathead, up to Kalispell, then back down. Probably make a nice leisurely afternoon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:02 PM

I've kind of given up on finding the Helena V's. I've been looking for them since the middle of last summer when I started contemplating the V as a purchase. I bought mine on 12-5 and I have a total of 800 miles on it. Rode 7 days in Feb and only 3 in March.
I always enjoy the ride up the Swan so let me know when and where. There is a salvage yard in Kalispell I like to visit for old bike parts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I'll PM ya when I get some other riders tied down.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Hello in Missoula. I'm in Billings with a Red 08.

My Brother lives in Missoula and I get there every now again.

Have fun riding the Big SKy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey CDBonnett, PM me when you're headed out this way, especially if you're bringing your V, we'll go for a ride if you have time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 PM

I'll be out your way late Aug early Sep. On the V of course. I have three cousin's in Montana and visit them with regularity.

Gonna get this lil red bike on as many dirt roads I can find.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM

MontanaVesys,
Yes I'll pm you if I get to ride to Missoula on the V
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Siyeh, that goes for you too, PM me when you're on your way. We'll get together for a little ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode