Hi!, I'm new and I don't own a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi!, I'm new and I don't own a Versys

I actually ride a bandit 600s
[IMG][/IMG]
I have a couple project bikes too, but have a horrible habit of getting distracted before I finish them.

I'm a machinist and a model maker. sometimes this makes my bike mods kind of interesting (note the boxes on the bandit). I just finished up modding an R1 shock for one of my project bikes. figured I could contribute some info here since the r1 shock seems to be a pretty common swap. I'll post up how I did it once I'm allowed to post in the appropriate forum.

I fit the 1100 lb spring from an ex650. it may be on the heavy side for my application. I only have about $40 in the setup so far. I can afford to try another OEM spring from ebay if this one proves to be too heavy.
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Always happy to have new insight on the board!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

heres what I posted on another forum I'm active on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fslflint View Post

I needed an adjustable shock for a project (more on that another day). a friend gave me an 08 R1 shock. they are three way adjustable, and supposedly really good kit for OEM. only problem is that the spring rate was WAAAYY off. according to the charts and guesstimates I needed an 1100 lb/in spring. the R1 shock comes with a 450 lb spring. that won't work. so I looked around for a spring that would be close to the right size with the required spring rate. I came up with two possibilities. a 91-93 vfr750, or an 06-08 ex650 spring. my good friend Knifemaker87 just happened to be using the ex650 shock on his epic Virago build. I asked, and he obliged with some measurements. Once I confirmed that I should be able to make the spring fit, I went ahead and ordered a shock off ebay.

let the work begin.

I first used the most sketchy setup possible to remove the r1 spring. this was actually kinda scary.
[IMG][/IMG]

no way I want to try this with an 1100 lb spring, but it worked well enough with the 450 lb spring.
[IMG][/IMG]

I then removed the spring from the EX650 shock. I used the press at work for this. made quick work of it.

once I removed the spring, I slid it onto the R1 shock body. a couple small challenges.
1) the ex shock is smaller at one end than the other. the small end was too big to fit over the preload adjuster.
2) the big end of the spring had a little too much slop to use the collet from the R1 shock
3) unloaded, the EX650 spring was about 0.120" longer than the R1 spring.
[IMG][/IMG]

challenge 1 was a pretty easy. I chucked the preload adjuster ring in a lathe. took 0.090" off the diameter of the inside boss. it took all of 5 minutes from setup to having a part that fit.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I decided to tackle challenge 2 and 3 together. I would simply make a new collet. working around machines that were and weren't available, I got it done in two lunch breaks. I used 7075 aluminum, and beefed up the whole unit. it should be plenty strong. I have the dimensions if anybody needs them
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

then I assembled the whole shebang
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

overall, I think it came out nice. The spring will be going out for powder coating soon. it will be quite a while before I have it on a bike, but its the little steps that are fun at this point.

thanks for taking the time to read this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Nice job. Them are some great looking parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode