Bike fell When Parked :( - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike fell When Parked :(

Hi, I am a new member from CANADA !!!!

Anyway, this morning I woke up to find my bike had tipped over on to my car.
It tipped over to the right side and rolled back a few inches after tipping (it left a 4 inch scratch on my car as well as broke the rear window)

My question is, has anyone experienced the bike falling in this manner with no wind gusts? the road is flat so gravity was in favor of bike staying upright.

There's only two scenarios I can think up:

A - Someone walked by and decided to tip the bike then ran away. (tilt sensor went off and caused alarm to go off, that's how I found out about it v.v )

B - The neighbor, or someone else nicked the front wheel driving by bike and pushed it over on to my car.

I think scenario "B" seems more likely, mainly because it looks like the bike is on a sharper angle to the sidewalk than I parked it in (as in, the front wheel is closer to my car then where I remember leaving it)
I could be wrong, but it's hard to say ... There was no one (cars, nor people) outside on the street when my alarm went off.

Now, however, I am scared to continue parking on the street there. Either some jerk off has an issue with me and/or my bike or it's unsafe to park on that street.... What to do ....

Plus, now I have damages to repair on my car - rear window (hatchback) and a dent with a scratch. Luckily the bike seems unharmed.

FML >.<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM

I use Motowerk's Bigfoot on my kickstand. I feel much more confident with it, even on sand or gravel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 AM

Garage
Under the favourable parking conditions you describe, it sounds like the bike didn't fall by itself. I've heard of the odd case where a cover caught the wind and tipped a bike. The only "unexplained" tip overs I've heard of were usually explained by another driver mis-judging the space between them and a parked bike, and then taking off...

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM

Setup a sting and catch the bike tipper on video. Take the video to the proper authorities for possible prosecution. Then file a small claims lawsuit for damages.

If possible, can u park your bike in a garage or shed to keep no goods from harming it further?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM
MTS

First of all that sucks! Sorry you have all that damage!

Like you said if no wind?? Than what??

If you have no other place to park remember you can hide a game cam and it will photo every time movement is detected. Low cost!

Good luck. . . it does sound like someone hit your bike!

One other thing to consider. Parking bike just inches from car. So it is impossible to fall against your car. I have done this before against a wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-05-2013 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
First of all that sucks! Sorry you have all that damage!

Like you said if no wind?? Than what??

If you have no other place to park remember you can hide a game cam and it will photo every time movement is detected. Low cost!

Good luck. . . it does sound like someone hit your bike!
Interesting solution

+1

LOP
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

I've heard of cases where the rider didn't "set" the side stand properly, and the V toppled over in the night. It helps to turn the handlebars to the left (full lock), and back up the bike a couple of inches while the stand is extended and down, and then lock the steering lock. Its much more stable that way. But, of course it wont help if its bumped by a car or pushed over.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear about the incident. I agree with an above post if the kickstand was set. Then it didn't happen by itself.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShaq View Post
I use Motowerk's Bigfoot on my kickstand. I feel much more confident with it, even on sand or gravel. ...
Wouldn't help here - it fell (or was pushed) AWAY from the side-stand.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

I am 99.9% sure that it did not fall on its own... how could it? 454lb bike on a flat road and no wind.

*Note* I always lock handle bars to left, and when I get off the bike I put my foot against the kickstand and pull the bike back to ensure it is set fully.

Taking the car in to get a quote today, to see if I will pay out of pocket or hit up the insurance jerks

Also, my brother told me he saw a cruiser on it's side on his way to work, so likely someone was running around bike tipping ....

From now on, I am parking it in the backyard. I was originally always parking it there but it is unpaved so after rain its just a muddy mess. Also its a tight fit between the truck and tent so I have to back it in every time.

I considered setting up a camera to catch this person, but I'm sure that it would end up being a waste of money, Like I said, my car and bike alarms went off... So this person may not come on my street anymore. Unless of course it is some sort of vendetta he has against me... Either way, bike is sleeping in the fenced backyard on the sidewalk next to the house from now on.

PS - for anyone that cares, it's a 2010 Matrix that got beat up, $600 piece of glass .... and who knows what the body shop will quote for scratches...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruz View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

PS - for anyone that cares, it's a 2010 Matrix that got beat up, $600 piece of glass .... and who knows what the body shop will quote for scratches...

$600.00 Whoa!!!!!!

tumblr_m9ql58XXL71roin8io1_1280 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Mine fell because of wind, but I had a cover on the bike...otherwise, looks like kids "having fun"...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

$1500 for the body Repairs
$350 for the glass
almost 2 grand = insurance it is!

Last edited by Mruz; 06-07-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Good Thing the Bike is unharmed
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Holy . My next car will not be a Matrix...

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Holy . My next car will not be a Matrix...

Dave C
...and it will still be a $2000 repair bill.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode