New Member shout out. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking New Member shout out.

Hi all! New member here. Just got the Versys last weekend. (brand new 2012 on closeout sale special) Only have 80 miles on it. Looking forward to racking up many more! Here to learn about all the things that will make owning my V more pleasurable. Eventually I'll change out the windscreen and seat. Probably add bags, GPS and grip deflector/protectors. Haven't made my mind up on any of it yet. Still have that painful break-in to get out of the way. First 600 miles at 45MPH and less.... oh boy.... Anyway, thanks all of you for getting here first. There is already lots of stuff posted here that I'm interested in. Hope to join in the chatter once I know a little more about my V-steed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 PM

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM

and GREAT choice!

I've had my 2012 V for a month now. Almost 1500 miles and lovin' every minute of it. Which color did you go with?

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Welcome! Enjoy it, I picked up a 2012 a couple months ago now and just rolled over 3500 kms. Break in will go fast, just get out and ride....and don't worry about givin her a little here and there.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

OK, I'm a newbie here, so I suppose I can ask some dumb questions early on..... Why are we calling "accessories/modifications", "Farkles"? Got out last night and put another 60 miles on some back roads near my city. Another couple weeks at this rate and I'll be able to do the rest of the break-in at posted speed limits!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
OK, I'm a newbie here, so I suppose I can ask some dumb questions early on..... Why are we calling "accessories/modifications", "Farkles"?
Weljo will explain that due to being the king of the farkle but i call them modifications as i refuse to use the F word
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
OK, I'm a newbie here, so I suppose I can ask some dumb questions early on..... Why are we calling "accessories/modifications", "Farkles"? Got out last night and put another 60 miles on some back roads near my city. Another couple weeks at this rate and I'll be able to do the rest of the break-in at posted speed limits!
They're many meanings to the word farkle, some say it's functional + sparkle. All I know, it sounds cool and everyone loves to add something to their bikes to make it their own.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM

It's cause your wife Farkles your hide when the CC bill comes in.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Yes, that break in sucks big time.

Picked up my grey 2013 yesterday . Only one colour in Canada, 12's are all gone. Put on 60 miles varying 3 to 4,000 rpm. Brutal. Dropped in to me dealer to pick up my crash bars and moaned about it. H e says, don't do it, ride it normally, Do you drive a new car that way? Another 60 mile ride in the evening, 4 to 5,000 rpm range, much better.

Changed the oil today. Will probably keep the revs below 6,000 for the break in period.

Must run

Cheers and enjoy your ride.

Larry
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of oil, (forgive me if there is a thread on this already) I plan on running Synthetic after I get through with break in oil changes. Are most of you running dino-oil, or non detergent synthetic? It gets so hot here in Texas, I believe the higher flash point of syn' is a better option for my new baby. Just wondering what the rest of the Versys world is using.

And thanks for all the welcome messages. Feeling the love. (whoa, just a saying... that's all I meant!)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM

Many of us went with the Motoman break-in, gradually accelerating harder from the start until you're doing wide-open-throttle acceleration runs to redline by only 20 miles and changing the oil right away. This is important to seat the rings before it's too late. I stretched it out a bit on the first day until I did the redline runs at 100 miles, then changed the oil at end of first day at 140 miles.
1st change with regular motorcycle oil, then synthetic (Amsoil) from second change at about 1000 miles.
So I would strongly suggest to do your gradually harder/more throttle and higher rpm acceleration runs up to maximum now, and dump the oil.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by invader; 06-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode