Greetings from Kansas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greetings from Kansas

Greetings gents – and ladies (?)

Well, I guess I am the newest member of the Versys crew. Picked one up yesterday afternoon. So as is customary with most of my vehicles – I have to go out and find the forum where everyone is hanging out. So, here I am!

I won’t bore you with all the gritty details here, but I will fill out some things in my profile so anyone interested can take a look.

Briefly - I’m not new to motorcycles, but let’s just say I haven’t ridden in this century. I bought an ‘81 KZ 550 soon after I graduated college and rode that for 2-3 years until I had to move to follow my job in ‘98. I always thought about getting another bike, but always seemed like one thing after another popped up to spend money on before that.

So a couple of weeks ago, the wife and I are talking about riding bicycles (which we both do and love) and the topic of distance came up. I made a comment about, “You’d have to ride a motorcycle if you were going that far” She said something like, “that would be fun - I’d ride a motorcycle if I had one”

So that basically put the wheels in motion. Initially, visions of a hot chick slung over a street bike filled my head. But then I thought about how we both like mountain biking, camping, hiking, etc. So I discussed the dual purpose bikes with her. We both agreed that those might be a better fit and decided to find something that could at least handle gravel roads and very light off road use. I remembered the seeing the KLR and research on that led me here and eventually to the KLE Versys. I really liked the look of the Versys and the reviews seemed to be pretty positive. So I started searching for a dealer.

I called around and no-one seemed to have them, and/or were asking straight MSRP. A little more searching and I decided to check e-bay. In some strange twist of fate, the only two bikes for sale on all of ebay were both in Kansas, not more than 150 miles from me.
After talking to both dealers, I scooped one for $5999 + $85 documentation fee + $438 tax, but got them to throw in a free helmet. (God, I’d love to be in the documentation business…$85 bucks to spend 10 minutes signing papers!!)

Anyway, that is my story. I love to mod things and get into DIY projects – I can already see a few things I’d like to do to the V. I'm 6'4" tall w/ 36" inseam and definitely need some more height/length in the seat area. Wife is 6'1" so we'll have to make something work for both of us.

I would definitely like to expand on the ‘versatility’ and make it a little more geared toward light off road use. Maybe in the future, his & hers versys's ? versi? So I look forward to learning and sharing lots of things on the forum!

Corey (Technically borrowing the wife’s bike!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Hi and welcome from the other side off the pond,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Welcome.

What are the roads like in Kansas?

Flat and straight like IL?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Welcome to the forum, Corey!

I got a degree from the University of Kansas; hung out in Lawrence and Topeka and Manhattan; and, being originally from Colorado, I've probably crossed Kansas heading east or west about a zillion times. What part of the state are you riding in? As Paladin will discover, Kansas has terrain that's as varied as is Illinois's range from flat prairie to rolling hills.

I'm just about your size, but an inch taller with an inch shorter inseam. You could get a tad more height by using an Airhawk seat pad (or something similar) - and there are also aftermarket kits that will lower the footpegs slightly. I just added a set of engine guards and highway pegs (see the "Highway Pegs" thread on this forum) to give me an alternative way to sit and stretch out. Although being our size makes most bikes feel undersized (unless you want a loooooong sportbike that forces your feet back and your weight forward onto your wrists!), the Versys goes a long way toward being a truly comfortable machine.

Let us know how you and your wife like your new ride!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk,
Kevin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Kevin - Main riding will probably be in the Lawrence / Topeka area. I don't plan to do any terribly long trips right now...although if gas prices keep going....

Definitely looking to stretch the bike in some places...a bit lower pegs, bit taller seat, etc should all help.

Paladin - Like Kevin said, it's pretty varied...some roads are long, straight and level, some are twisty and curvy. I don't think we have any 'canyon carving' to compare with some states.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Back in the pioneer days when I lived in Lawrence, there were lots of great roads to ride all around the area. Of course, I had to watch out for the settlers' Conestoga wagons and the occasional troop of horse cavalry that would come thundering around a bend in the trail . . .

I hope that subsequent development has left some of those pretty country lanes untouched. I also hope you've been safe and sound during all the nasty weather you've had lately. I'll never forget moving from Colorado to Kansas . . . and, a week after I arrived, experiencing my first tornado - which was straight from "The Wizard of Oz!"

Stay happy and healthy and enjoy your Versys!

Kevin
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elllvis View Post
Of course, I had to watch out for the settlers' Conestoga wagons

Kevin
The Conestoga would have been outdated by then and Prairie Schooners would have been the mode of transportation.

Geez! get your wagons right
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:30 PM

wagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The Conestoga would have been outdated by then and Prairie Schooners would have been the mode of transportation.

Geez! get your wagons right
Hi paladin here in the good old UK we only had painted ones,,,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Kevin -

Sounds like you've been around a while dodging wagons and cavalry and such. I haven't seen any of those...at least in the past several years. Although I do run across a cars on the highway every couple of days that seem to be moving at the speed of a covered wagon train. I commute daily on 40 highway from Lawrence to Topeka - if you have any memory of that road, it probably hasn't changed much. Although in the latest version, they put a 'rumble strip' right down the middle of the road. It jerks my car around pretty good, I imagine it would be near deadly on a bike - especially with a bit of rain or a corner. I've been working up the nerve to get to a good open stretch of road and ride onto it with the V just so I'll know what to expect in case I ever accidentally -or purposely- touch it again.

What country lanes do you have in mind? I may have to do some exploring!

As far as the weather...dodging a bit of rain here and there, some high winds, and had a good old spring thunderstorm come rumbling through last night - with some nice strong bolts of lightning. But so far, all is well.

Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode