Hello from Thunder Bay - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Thunder Bay

I have been lurking around this forum for week now. Am looking at downsizing my touring bike from a full bagger 2002 Kawasaki Voyageur and looking at something like the 650 VStrom or the 650 Versys.

This forum has sure been helping me by the way you are addressing the buffeting problem. I am 6' 2" and do a fair amount of highway driving. Have a KLX250S, that runs the dessert around Yuma AZ during the winter. Also ran a KLR650 through the back country of Northwest Ont. for a few years

Your proposed solutions to the buffeting and other problems are leading me towards the Versys. My local dealer has a demo day coming on Sunday. I am working with him to try out a 650 Versys. I am hoping that the twin cylinder power is a lot more than the KLR650 and that the highway speed buffeting can be cured. My dealer would like me to consider the Versys 1000, but $14,000 for a fairly naked bike, plus $1,000 for add-ons is a bit much.

So, not a V owner, yet,, who knows.

Thank you for the great forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
northsouth. Once you get one, THAN you can look at another for AZ, like I do...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM

I had a Wee Strom before my 650 Versys and liked the Versys much better.
If you haven't already, I would ask the dealer or check other dealers on the Versys1000 2012 models as there are two dealers here blowing out 12's one was at $9999 and the other was $8999.
I'm pretty sure it must be Kawi Canada blowing them out as I don't think a dealer would go that low on their own inventory. After owning both the 1000 is way better suited for highway/longer distance riding in my opinion and I am
6'1 and around 240 geared up as a reference.
Good luck on whatever you choose.
PS I almost forgot, welcome to the forum....

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM

They may as well rename Arizona to New Canada. I was down there last year and decided to go to a hockey game. I bet 2/3 people there were wearing flames jerseys. I couldn't figure out what a flame had to do with the Coyotes until I finally saw somebody in a Coyotes jersey and realized the whole place was full of Calgary fans.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the update guys.

I do not think that another Versys is in line to keep down South. Have the KLX250S down there. It is a great ride for the desert. Had my touring bike down there for one season and hardly used it. Very few paved roads in the Yuma Area, too many military areas. One highway E/West and one North.

Do all of my riding in the desert and on the military areas. Run about 1200 miles per season. Either ride from home, out the wash beside the RV park, or trailer to another area.

Wow, $9,000 for a new 1000 V, I had better check.

Cheers
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Garage
Welcome.

I can't say anything about the 1000, we don't have them yet. I am very happy with my 650 though. Hopefully your dealer can line up a test drive, that would be best way to decide.
I know there was another member from the TB area that had a Versys 650 for sale, maybe two months ago. Check the older sale items or the Versys Rider location map, maybe he still has it.

I'll be rolling through your area in about a month on my way around Lake Superior.
If you have any good tips on roads to ride or a good place to eat I would appreciate it.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 05-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi Slow-Steady

Have seen nothing advertised Kijiji or auto trader for a Versys in T Bay. Working on selling the Voyageur first.

Around the lake ride is great. I like the stretch from Terrace Bay to Marathon, lot of ups/downs and curves. Try to hit it early in the morning before the travel trailers hit the road.

Eating - Hoito in the Bay street area is good food at a reasonable price, no liquor license. If you cannot get in there, try the Scandinavia house, on Algoma street, just around the corner, walking distance.

I like riding the Wisconsin area south of La Crose. Nice rolling hills. Hoping to get there in Mid August.

Have a good day
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Garage
Thanks for the advice.

I found the old thread but it looks like the bike is no longer for sale.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=22075

Mitch
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Hello Northshouth:

I am in Thunder Bay as well... You are welcome to come by anytime and shoot the sh!t about the Versys. Mine was on Kijiji over the winter but I let the add expire. I've decided to keep it for another year.

I will be at the Kawi demo days as well on May 26th. I have chosen to ride the Versys 1000, and the Ninja 1000 (since I came from a VFR800).

Shoot me a PM if have any questions!

-Pat W
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Before my Versys I had a V-Strom (with a tiger inbetween). Go for the Versys. It has far more soul than a V-Strom. Both good bikes with lots of farkles available, but for umph and soul, the Versys wins every time.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM

I responded to your PM but as usual it isn't showing up in my "sent" folder so I'm not sure if you got it or not... If not, I can just email you direct.

-Pat W
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Lovin every minute of it!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode