Planning a big ride with a Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Planning a big ride with a Versys!

Hi!
I just moved to California. I'm looking at buying a versys (if I can find the right one!) and equip it, ride it until August.. At which point I want to ride the pacific coast up to Vancouver, and then across Canada.

I've been researching a lot, I'm still not 100% convinced that the versys is the perfect tool for the job, but I'm almost convinced at that point...

So if you have any tips, advices (bring this, don't do that), opinions (good idea, not a good idea, don't get a versys), drop a line!

Oh and of course.. As I'm actively looking at the moment, if you happen to know or to have one of those beautiful ladies for sale, drop me a private message too

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 PM

not sure any bike is perfect. versys will do fine.

advice... take a long time and do more than just ride the bike.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, not sure if a Versys is beautiful but it sure is a heck of a funvee.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarLiXo View Post
Hi!
I just moved to California. I'm looking at buying a versys (if I can find the right one!) and equip it, ride it until August.. At which point I want to ride the pacific coast up to Vancouver, and then across Canada.

I've been researching a lot, I'm still not 100% convinced that the versys is the perfect tool for the job, but I'm almost convinced at that point...

So if you have any tips, advices (bring this, don't do that), opinions (good idea, not a good idea, don't get a versys), drop a line!

Oh and of course.. As I'm actively looking at the moment, if you happen to know or to have one of those beautiful ladies for sale, drop me a private message too

Max
I would recommend lowering pegs, hard luggage and an aftermarket shield for long rides and long distance touring. Crash bars will pay for themselves the first time your bike tips over or crashes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi!
I just moved to California. I'm looking at buying a versys (if I can find the right one!) and equip it, ride it until August.. At which point I want to ride the pacific coast up to Vancouver, and then across Canada....
Max
Be sure to check whether you'll have to pay BC PST at the Border (then claim it back later). If 'yes' - enter at Coutts, Alberta off I-15, then turn LEFT and ride Hwy 3 thru the Crowsnest Pass to Van, then turn around and come out thru Jasper, turn south to Banff, then head to Montreal.

The Jasper/Banff (Icefields Parkway) is POSSIBLY the prettiest mountain road in North America!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 AM

My '09 Versys performed flawlessly on my recent 2,700-mile jaunt from Myrtle Beach, SC, to Oklahoma City and back. Ditto on lowering pegs and aftermarket shield; pivotal for me was anything other than stock saddle, which is notoriously uncomfortable. Thumbs up on Terry Adcox flat saddle, which afforded riding several hours before feeling the need to stretch legs and other extremities. Icefields Parkway, Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise are scenic; would add stops at Waterton Lakes and Glacier national parks, mostly because they are so close. Going to the Sun Road at Glacier is amazing.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
...Icefields Parkway, Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise are scenic; would add stops at Waterton Lakes and Glacier national parks, mostly because they are so close. Going to the Sun Road at Glacier is amazing.
IF you head south to "Going to the Sun" - - - also DON'T miss riding Hwy 89 south from St. Mary (the eastern edge of Glacier Park) to East Glacier, GREAT road - - !

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Hi!

I've been researching a lot, I'm still not 100% convinced that the versys is the perfect
flashlights for the job, but I'm almost convinced at that point...

Max
Oh friend just joined the forum. I think you need some better and strong bike for your trip. Just take guidance of good mechanic to do some modifications and make your bike more appropriate

Last edited by WaynePaul; 05-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynePaul View Post
Oh friend just joined the forum. I think you need some better and strong bike for your trip. Just take guidance of good mechanic to do some modifications and make your bike more appropriate
What??????

The Versys hauled my big butt 275lbs before gear at the time with no issues.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode