Hi from Colorado - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi from Colorado

Hi,

I joined the site because I sold my previous motorcycle last spring to pay some bills thinking I could go a few years without a bike, but it turns out that's not going to work for me. I moved from Boston to Boulder in January and having spent the last year in Colorado, I've discovered that 300 sunny, humidity-free days per year is about the best motorcycling weather you could ask for.

I haven't purchased anything yet but I'm strongly considering a Versys and I'm here to learn about it's quirks from people who know. I've kind of come to accept the fact that at my core, I'm really all about practicality. My last bike was an 800cc Suzuki cruiser and it was nice, but it was heavy, and I really don't dig the Lazy Boy seating position. The handling was kind of slow and sloppy and I found myself missing my first bike, a 1986 Kawasaki ZL600 Eliminator. It was a POS and leaked gas on my leg, but it was light, handled well, and was pretty fast.

I like the idea of having a bike that I'll enjoy using everyday (commuting, errands, etc.) but also be able to take it up into the canyons on the weekends and have almost as much fun as I could on a sportbike, and even take some multi-day camping trips.

I'd probably buy a GS if I had the money, but for 1/2-1/3 of the price, the Versys looks like a great second choice. My guess is it will do about 75% of what the GS can do (which is pretty much all I'd be doing anyway).

So sorry for the long post and hello to everyone. I'm sure you're all already partial to your Versyses (or Versi?) but if you've got any advice for me, I'm all ears.

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Hello Eric,
Versys = great all around bike. I ride CO every year. The past 3 years on different bikes - yamaha fz6, Honda cbr929rr, kawasaki versys. The versys is a do-all bike that is a lot of fun for the money. It is a great sprinter around town or a comfortable bike for a long ride. The fuel economy is also terrific at 45 to 55 miles per gallon. The motor is proven and the overall bike is reliable. You can even take it off road. Good luck, you will like it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM

I have both bikes you mention..I also ride a GS adventure,DL1000 V strom,,I enjoy the versys the best I put the Suzuki 800 up for sale,The V is truly my best choice of all I have not loaded it up with any extra weight it is most nimble just as it is...ENJOY

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Hey Eric,

Welcome. I work in Gunbarrel (Very North Boulder) and live in Firestone. I bought my bike in April 2008 and love it for the most part. I am not too happy with the seat but will be doing something different this spring. I can ride for about 1-1/2 hrs before I have to get off and walk around. The foothills are great to zip around. I plan on doing some moto-camping this year as well.

My typical Friday afternoon ride home is Boulder, Estes Park, Loveland, then Carter Lake or Horse Tooth then home. Ride to work: 20 miles. Ride home 65-100+ miles!

Shoot me a PM if you want to get together or go for a ride.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Eric- I live in pueblo and have an 08 Versys with 312 miles on it. I am selling it with a NEW XL Armored Jacket and XL Full Face Helmet. I would be happy to deliver it to boulder. It is PERFECT condition. All for $6500... Just thought I would throw that at you. THX
Kevin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremankev View Post
Eric- I live in pueblo and have an 08 Versys with 312 miles on it. I am selling it with a NEW XL Armored Jacket and XL Full Face Helmet. I would be happy to deliver it to boulder. It is PERFECT condition. All for $6500... Just thought I would throw that at you. THX
Kevin
Kevin,

That sounds like a pretty good deal. If I give you my wife's phone number, you think you could try to talk her into letting me buy your bike?

Seriously though, I think I might be waiting until next season to buy anything as finances are kind of tight right now. However, if the right deal were to come along...who knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode