First Crash - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Crash

Hi all,

about two months ago I bought a 2012 Versys. Long story short I had my first crash yesterday afternoon. I was coming home from work and at a stop light the women in front of me rear ended the vehicle in front of her. to avoid hitting the women in front of me I braked hard and hit the floor. I have road rash on my elbow and chin but no other injuries and it seems as if the only damage to the bike was cosmetic. I rode it home, went through all the gears and ran perfectly normal. The women in front of me and I exchanged insurance information. My question is, is it worth filing a claim under her insurance or at all?

Sam,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Also advice on what to do in a similar event in the future to avoid going down would be much appreciated. Thanks
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM
MTS

Glad you are ok!

I don't know what country you are from, but file the claim. If she hit the car in front she would get a ticket. . . . ..

Good luck on that!

As far as going down. It will not stop you faster in my opinion. Keeping the rubber to the road is best in most cases.

Maybe some hard stops to a cone in a empty parking lot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM

Welcome and sorry to hear about the crash but glad you are ok for the most part.

Sounds like you might want to consider more protective gear so that you are better protected even agains road rash as that accident shows we never know when something can happen even if just 'running to the store'.

+1 to what MTS says....practice panic braking in a safe area and practice braking and swerving working up to higher speeds as you get better and more comfortable at it. Always leave yourself several escapes when around traffic and give yourself plenty of room. Also remember most of them probably don't see you!

If you haven't already done so consider taking the MSF Safety Class (if you can) or the equivalent in other countries if available and consider some of the great motorcycle books available to improve your riding. Glad you and the bike are OK!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Am I correct in assuming you got a police report?
Wheneveer you make contact, specially from the rear(I can guess what weljo is thinking) there is always the chance for a lawyer to slither in to the picture.
steve
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Garage
There is no need ti contact her insurence if you didnt contact her. Yiu would be at fault, just like she is at fault for hitting the other car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys, and for clarification no i didn't make contact with her. I braked hard on the front brake the bike started to skid before I could hit the back brake I had already hit the ground. To buy new plastics from Kawasaki it all comes out less than $150. Just curious if her insurance would pay for it or if her insurance doesn't come into play at all since I didn't make contact with her. Also in AZ, USA
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Gald you are not seriously injured. Maximum Braking is a learned skill. You may want to check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536
It has helped me understand the mind-set to be safer while riding. Its a good step towards adopting some good motorcycling habits.

I'm no diplomat
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruz View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, and for clarification no i didn't make contact with her. I braked hard on the front brake the bike started to skid before I could hit the back brake I had already hit the ground. To buy new plastics from Kawasaki it all comes out less than $150. Just curious if her insurance would pay for it or if her insurance doesn't come into play at all since I didn't make contact with her. Also in AZ, USA
Odds are that the lawyers will deny any claim on the assumption that you should not have been that close to begin with.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Glad your Okay.You can try her insurance. "But" they will more than likely deny your claim. Claiming you were following too close or going too fast to make a safe stop.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Welcome, wish you had a better intro post. Glad you and the bike are okay though.

+1 on the protective gear. Road rash is some nasty stuff, fortunately my only experience with it has been wrecking road and tri-bikes back when I raced crits and triathlons. Went down at about 25mph once and was a hurtin' puppy for close to a month.

I cringe to think about what would have happened if I'd ever gone down when I used to ride motorcycles with just shorts and a t-shirt. At least I always wore closed toe tennis shoes.

Anyways best of luck on healing and getting back on the road. Be Safe!

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Now that you got that over with, time to assess your riding skills. If you haven't already, please pick up a copy of "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. He also has a great daily reading collection called "Street Strategies".

I agree with the others. You should have been able to stop without going down. Now, if she was behind you and hit you it would be an entirely different situation.

You will not have a leg to stand on trying to claim that the reason you went down was because the car in front of you stopped too fast.

Leave more folowing distance from now on and get a FF helmet and a Jacket.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
...My question is, is it worth filing a claim under her insurance or at all?
Sam,
Sam - for WHAT? She didn't cause your problem.

Quote:
Also advice on what to do in a similar event in the future to avoid going down would be much appreciated. Thanks
DON'T follow too close, and ALWAYS have an 'out' - somewhere to go IF the sh*t hits the fan.

Quote:
...Just curious if her insurance would pay for it or if her insurance doesn't come into play at all since I didn't make contact with her. Also in AZ, USA
Her insurance has NO reason to pay for your accident. YOU were following too close (which MIGHT get you a ticket if you push this).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM

The only insurance that would apply is yours. Being that it is $150 I would definitely NOT get them involved.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 AM

regardless of how fault is dealt out (which I believe will fall on you with no contact) you need to reach your deductible before insurance pays off. I have a $300 deductible, my gf has $1000. So it is likely somewhere between the two, but do check.

if the damage is to any parts that are not OEM, you may have accessory coverage that would cover those parts, they would be covered before the deductible.

my opinion is paying $150 out of pocket is cheaper than having your rate possibly rise anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Hi. Glad to hear you came out of that with just some scratches and no serious injury.
I'm not sure how long you have been on a two wheeler but the one basic skill you need is to master your peripheral vision. You need to look over the car in front and anticipate any uneventful incidents and prepare ahead. Same goes for what's coming at you from the side.

Never be distracted and never tailgate or ride directly behind any other vehicles. Stay on their side and if they brake abruptly, you can just squeeze pass them. On the same note, I saw a crazy moped right behind a fuel tanker trying to ward off the cold night air. You can imagine what will happen if the tanker needs to slow down fast for any unknown reasons.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM

Glad your alright. Not sure if it applies to your situation, but in addition to braking, change direction. Bikes are smaller and shoulders and small strips of pavement become lanes. Changing direction gives you that much more stopping distance to work with. Again I don't know if it was possible in your situation but some food for thought

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode