New member, no bike yet! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member, no bike yet!

New rider, new member, newfound lust for this bike. I live in west Los Angeles, and I'm hoping to join your ranks in about two weeks when I have my loan all lined up from my bank. In fact, the reason I'm registering now is that one of your members in my area is looking to sell...hopefully that's okay!

I've been looking at bikes for a month or so, ever since I finished my MSF class. For a while I was planning to buy new (the ninja 300 ABS just looks wonderful), but looking at insurance costs and suchlike, and hearing advice from plenty of riders, used sounds like a smarter move. The Versys looks great for a couple of reasons - it should fit my height better than most middleweight/lightweight bikes (I'm about 6'1"), it seems to be reliable, flexible, and torquey (rave reviews all around), it's cheap, and I'm not gonna lie, I like the way it looks. I'm planning to get rid of my car as soon as I trust my riding skills (and paranoia) against LA traffic, and the Versys seems perfect for that (in my price range). I can ride it to work, I can ride it up to San Fran on road trips, I can ride it up to the Sierras to go backpacking. Done, done, and done.

Any other no-car riders around here? Also, what kind of gas mileage do you folks get? I've heard everything from low 40s to high 50s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
MTS

Just a bike not an option in my area. MPG is 50 on V 2010.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think that's one of the best things about living around here - riding season is the only season. Might not get up into the mountains on a bike during winter, but it's not like I'm gonna strap skis to my bike anyway. I can always carpool with a friend.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys is perfect for LA Traffic. I get over 50 mph and i'm not a skinny guy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Garage
Welcome to the group. I just got mine 2 weeks ago. I got 47mpg the first tank. Although that includes lots of improper wrist twisting. Ya know just loving the power.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Sweet name.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I tend to get mid to high 50s / USgallon.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Welcome! Worst mpg I've gotten was 48, best was 60, average about 55mpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I didn't know you could move fast enough on LA roads to be paranoid about other traffic.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM

I haven't really kept track of it but compared to my old SV1000 it's at probably 50% better. I'm getting over 350 kms to a tank and I was lucky to get 220 on the SV.

Lovin every minute of it!

Last edited by Avande; 05-02-2013 at 11:52 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

MSF discounts

Hey,

Don't forget that a lot of places offer a discount on gear, parts, services, and/or bikes if you show/fax them your MSF RiderCourse completion card -- including most insurance companies.

Ask at your local bike shops. If you don't ask, you won't know!

Here are some that can be found online:

Motorcyclecoolstuff.com
800-547-4788
Spring Grove, IL
Motorcycle safety products, accessories, & parts. One-time 20% discount.

Kisan Technologies
888-464-5472
Colorado Springs
Safety products for all bikes: headlight & taillight modulators, tire pressure monitoring, turn signal canceler, battery chargers. 10% off any product.

BikerHiway
866-496-3184
Online retailer of motorcycle safety products & accessories. Air horns, headlight modulators, LED accent lighting, etc. 10% off; enter code P120016G.

Revzilla
Riding gear, helmets, tires, and accessories for all bikes, including H-Ds. 5% off first-time order. Place order by phone for discount.

Rider WearHouse (Aerostitch)
800-222-1994
Duluth, MN
Protective gear; accessories, clothing, tools. 10% off.

Streetglo Reflective Decals
Reflective motorcycle decals, custom reflective decals, reflective tape, reflective helmet stickers, custom motorcycle graphics. 15% off.

Suzuki
Complete a RiderCourse within 6 months (before or after) of purchasing any new Suzuki scooter, street bike, or dual sport motorcycle (regardless of model year) and receive a $100 check.

Triumph
Complete a RiderCourse within 6 months (before or after) of purchasing any new Triumph motorcycle and receive tuition reimbursement of up to $225 (gift card).

Honda Riders Club of America (HRCA)
Members receive up to a $75 reimbursement for an MSF- accredited riding course completed within 1 year of purchasing a new, on-road motorcycle.

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA)
Members are eligible for up to 50% reimbursement ($100 maximum) for approved rider training courses & safety apparel.

Other Stuff

Reliable gear reviews:
WebBikeWorld
Revzilla
RiderMagazine

Good safety info
Motorcycle-USA
Be sure to visit FAQ's and stuff you didn't know you didn't know"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
New rider, new member, newfound lust for this bike. I live in west Los Angeles, and I'm hoping to join your ranks in about two weeks when I have my loan all lined up from my bank. In fact, the reason I'm registering now is that one of your members in my area is looking to sell...hopefully that's okay!

I've been looking at bikes for a month or so, ever since I finished my MSF class. For a while I was planning to buy new (the ninja 300 ABS just looks wonderful), but looking at insurance costs and suchlike, and hearing advice from plenty of riders, used sounds like a smarter move. The Versys looks great for a couple of reasons - it should fit my height better than most middleweight/lightweight bikes (I'm about 6'1"), it seems to be reliable, flexible, and torquey (rave reviews all around), it's cheap, and I'm not gonna lie, I like the way it looks. I'm planning to get rid of my car as soon as I trust my riding skills (and paranoia) against LA traffic, and the Versys seems perfect for that (in my price range). I can ride it to work, I can ride it up to San Fran on road trips, I can ride it up to the Sierras to go backpacking. Done, done, and done.

Any other no-car riders around here? Also, what kind of gas mileage do you folks get? I've heard everything from low 40s to high 50s.
Use my bike for daily commuting. IMO a few basic accessories will make this a better ride though. Lockable hard luggage and a $10 cargo net, I use a Givi top box, is invaluable for hauling stuff around. SW-Motech crash bars will make the bike practically impervious to tip over damage and will usually pay for themselves in prevented damage over time. Taller bikes are easier to drop. They'll even save the bike in a low side. A larger touring windshield is nice if you do much cold weather riding or highway riding. It is hard to find a better designed all rounder in the price range than the Versys.

Like a lot of new riders I started with cheap gear and later upgraded as I found out how much better it is. I would advise you to look for better quality gear as it makes a difference in protection and comfort and generally is more versatile. With the right gear you can be comfortable in practically all riding situations. Cordura is a lot more abrasion resistant than polyester. I highly recommend the Olympia Airglide and Nomad all season gear. It's very versatile weather wise and better quality than most of the entry level stuff you will see and not that much more expensive.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-20-2013 at 02:30 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM

So it's been a weekish, did you land a bike yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode