V curious in Michigan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V curious in Michigan

Hi all,

I thought I'd stop by here and make a quick introduction and then get to posting my questions and answers elsewhere on the forum.

My name is Bo (if you haven't already skipped down to the bottom to read my signature) and I'm a non-owner, but am very interested in the Versys model. I've even taken to calling ver-sus rather than ver-sigh. I'm learning.

I've been on two wheels for about 10 years now and have owned way more bikes than any man need to, and I'm shopping again for this coming summer.

random image for no reason

I started out on a 1978 Suzuki 750, to a Suzuki Intruder 800, Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, an SV 650/S, my Fat Cat, a couple of Valkyries, Yamaha FJR, Suzuki Wee-Strom and now my current Concours.

I'm not in love with the Concours and miss both my Valkyrie Interstate and the 650 V-Strom. So off to the want ads and dealerships I go!

Since the V-Strom was ending up higher on my list than another Valk, I went to my local dealership to look at the updated ABS model (not available back in 2005) and they had the new KLR as well as the Versys on the floor. I'd thrown my leg over the KLR at the m/c shows in Detroit last year, but didn't get to see the new Versys. Too bad... I may have gotten here sooner!

I must say that I'm really impressed. The bike looks good, feels good and has a decent amount of accessories for it already. The ride reports keep pointing out all the same high and low points for the model which impresses me even more with the quantity of reporters out there - everyone agrees. Great bike.

So now I'm thinking... I like the new blue color, but I also like low prices. Do I go new and get the stock blue color or buy a used 2008 and paint it whatever blue I want? Decisions, decisions.

Wish me luck!

I'm sure I'll be around for a bit.

Last edited by boroop; 02-27-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Versys

My 1st 750 was a 1978 GS750EC, man that was a great bike, We can tell you our opinions but in the end you need to decide. There's something to be said for owning a new bike if you are willing to pay the $ for it. You don't have to worry what the previous owner did but of course there are deals out there on '08s that you could paint whatever color you wanted. Personally I think the Red is the nicest color for the Versys but I would have been equally happy with a blue.......being on the fence is the easy part.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb9400 View Post
There's something to be said for owning a new bike if you are willing to pay the $ for it. You don't have to worry what the previous owner did...
Yup. Exactly. But this bike looks to be a bit different than most of the other used bikes I've looked at. It like the 2008s that are for sale were mistake purchases. Many of them are already below $5500 and have less than 3000 miles. And any farkles are included in most sales.

Most of the used bikes I've shopped for in the past either have average miles and a lower price or lower miles and a higher price. Not lower miles and a lower price. It's just hard to swallow that $1300-1500 loss in the first year.

And how much damage could one person do in under 3000 miles?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroop View Post
Yup. Exactly. But this bike looks to be a bit different than most of the other used bikes I've looked at. It like the 2008s that are for sale were mistake purchases. Many of them are already below $5500 and have less than 3000 miles. And any farkles are included in most sales.

Most of the used bikes I've shopped for in the past either have average miles and a lower price or lower miles and a higher price. Not lower miles and a lower price. It's just hard to swallow that $1300-1500 loss in the first year.

And how much damage could one person do in under 3000 miles?
I think that the Economic situation especially state side has a lot to do with all the toys on the market , people are trying to unload debt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Agreed.

Even more reason to keep paying cash for the toys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Whatever you do, just buy one. You won't be sorry!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode