Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

FNG from Northern Arizona

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Machog 
#1 ·
Hi thar.

I'm a new rider, looking at getting a V as my first bike. Been doing lots of research and waiting for my MSF BRC course to start early next month. I've been looking at a bunch of bikes and a bunch of forums, somehow the V always ends up getting mentioned as a good first bike. It looks like it will make a decent DD, be able to go have fun on some of the twisty roads all over the area where I live, and be able to get me from state to state without my backside turning into a clump of lead.

I was thinking about buying used, but since the V is only a year or two old here in the states they are very difficult to find. I am also trying to figure out the finances of buying a V. I have never bought a new bike before, or a car for that matter. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can expect as far as financing options? Anyone have any advice to keep myself from getting 'surprise sexed' by the dealership? :confused:

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.

#3 · (Edited)
At the end of my Basic Riders Course the instructor asked how many people had already bought a bike. Most people put up their hands. Then he asked how many people had bought a bike 650 or less. I was the only one to put up my hand. Then he said, as a rule of thumb, your first bike shouldn't be over 650.

The point I'm trying to make is that, if you're thinking about a Versys as your first bike, you're on the right track. Experience will tell you if you made the right decision. You might want to get a used bike, even a Ninja 650R, to have fun on and to learn on before you move up to a new bike. Don't be scared to buy a used bike privately. The only time I got screwed buying a used bike was from a dealer. He sold me an old Suzuki Cruiser and that thing was a POS.

#4 ·
If you are having trouble in AZ getting a deal, give these guys a call;
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFram...=92211&DISP=N&ProdType=V&ProdLine=ALL

If you can get yourself to Palm Desert CA, probably about 250miles from your home, these guys will do you a terrific deal. They just sold a friend of mine an FJR, way below list (several thousands). If you do your deal over the phone, get it confirmed by email/fax/writing, so you won't get messed around when you walk in. They have a green on the floor as of yesterday.

There are a few used V's out there, but you'll have to travel to pick up those as well. As you know list on the V is $7099.00, plus tax and tabs they were going out the door for a bit less than $8k. Now dealers are really 'dealing', so you might get a new one OTD for around $6,500.00.

When it comes to financing, in my view, you are better to walk in with cash in hand-i.e. borrow from the bank, credit union etc.

Best of my knowledge Kawasaki doesn't have any special financing going at the moment.

If it were me in this market I would walk into my local dealer with $6500.00 cash in hand (maybe a little extra hidden), show 'em the money and see what happens.

You have a bunch of Kawasakidealers in AZ, choose 3-4 and try cash in hand and see what happens. Motorcycle dealers are desperate at the moment-many on the edge of going tits up, its a shame but their loss could be your gain.

Machog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.