FNG from Northern Arizona - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FNG from Northern Arizona

Hi thar.

I'm a new rider, looking at getting a V as my first bike. Been doing lots of research and waiting for my MSF BRC course to start early next month. I've been looking at a bunch of bikes and a bunch of forums, somehow the V always ends up getting mentioned as a good first bike. It looks like it will make a decent DD, be able to go have fun on some of the twisty roads all over the area where I live, and be able to get me from state to state without my backside turning into a clump of lead.

I was thinking about buying used, but since the V is only a year or two old here in the states they are very difficult to find. I am also trying to figure out the finances of buying a V. I have never bought a new bike before, or a car for that matter. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can expect as far as financing options? Anyone have any advice to keep myself from getting 'surprise sexed' by the dealership?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM

Give it up and buy a new one, I did and I NEVER buy new . This is the first bike in a very long time that is worth it to me.As for the dealer ...go in with an offer and go to as many dealers as you can . Someone will be hungry .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

At the end of my Basic Riders Course the instructor asked how many people had already bought a bike. Most people put up their hands. Then he asked how many people had bought a bike 650 or less. I was the only one to put up my hand. Then he said, as a rule of thumb, your first bike shouldn't be over 650.

The point I'm trying to make is that, if you're thinking about a Versys as your first bike, you're on the right track. Experience will tell you if you made the right decision. You might want to get a used bike, even a Ninja 650R, to have fun on and to learn on before you move up to a new bike. Don't be scared to buy a used bike privately. The only time I got screwed buying a used bike was from a dealer. He sold me an old Suzuki Cruiser and that thing was a POS.

Last edited by charly; 02-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM

If you are having trouble in AZ getting a deal, give these guys a call;
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...ProdLine%3DALL

If you can get yourself to Palm Desert CA, probably about 250miles from your home, these guys will do you a terrific deal. They just sold a friend of mine an FJR, way below list (several thousands). If you do your deal over the phone, get it confirmed by email/fax/writing, so you won't get messed around when you walk in. They have a green on the floor as of yesterday.

There are a few used V's out there, but you'll have to travel to pick up those as well. As you know list on the V is $7099.00, plus tax and tabs they were going out the door for a bit less than $8k. Now dealers are really 'dealing', so you might get a new one OTD for around $6,500.00.

When it comes to financing, in my view, you are better to walk in with cash in hand-i.e. borrow from the bank, credit union etc.

Best of my knowledge Kawasaki doesn't have any special financing going at the moment.

If it were me in this market I would walk into my local dealer with $6500.00 cash in hand (maybe a little extra hidden), show 'em the money and see what happens.

You have a bunch of Kawasakidealers in AZ, choose 3-4 and try cash in hand and see what happens. Motorcycle dealers are desperate at the moment-many on the edge of going tits up, its a shame but their loss could be your gain.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode