New, looking at bikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New, looking at bikes

Can get a yellow 2012 at a very decent price, and a red 2011 at a price that seems to be a bit out of whack with what it should really go for with 7000 miles on it. Likely depends what kind of a deal I can negotiate.

Have looked at many bikes and the Versys seems to be the best compromise I can come up with, given the reality that I will only have one bike for the forseeable future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Can't say there are any unhappy customers on this site. It is hard if not impossible IMHO to find a better all round bike at the Versys price point especially if you. can find a.left over 2012 with manufacturer price incentives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 AM

I recently picked up a yellow 2012, It's a fantastic bike.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Garage
Welcome. The Versys is hard to beat for the One Bike garage. Good luck in your hunt.

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 AM

I love the versys too.. just wish it had an ABS like - the weeStrom or the NC700X. I just think it is a big safety item. After going down on wet roads, I wouldn't buy a bike without an ABS - but that is just me.

Welcome to the forums.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Versys do have ABS. All versys in Thailand have ABS as per regulations.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Welcome. The Versys is hard to beat for the One Bike garage. Good luck in your hunt.
+1
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, the versys is a close to a 'standard' bike as you can come without buying a modern classic. With a little tweaking it can become whatever you want it to become. Cross Country tourer, back roads explorer, city commuter, etc. Good luck in you search, and BTW 7000 miles is nothing. My '11 has almost 17,000 miles on it.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Welcome. The Versys is pretty good for a two bike garage as well...a UJM for the 21st century.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 AM

I had never even seen a Versys when I finally decided it would meet my needs completely. I found a good deal on a new 2011 at season's end and traveled 300 miles to pick it up and then haul it home. The first time I even rode any Versys was the next day once I got it out of the bed of my pickup... and I discovered all my research paid off.

It's just perfect for what I needed it for. In a year and a half I've put 15,000 miles on her including a few long... and one LONG trip out west and back. The rest of her miles have just been around town miles... but since I live in Florida I don't have to store her for the winter months.

I did my research. I stuck to my budget. I ended up with what is likely the last bike I will ever own and I'm very happy with her. I even spent last Saturday with a BMW friend... At a BMW dealership's open house that had every model imaginable available for test rides and I never opted for a single ride... AND my V got a good bit of attention... as low-tech and dirty as she was... given the venue and crowd.

EDIT: Typo Corrections

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 04-16-2013 at 06:57 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
...I even spent last Saturday with a BMW friend... At a BMW dealership's open house that had every model imaginable available for test rides and I never opted for a single ride... AND my V got a good bit of attention... as low-tech and dirty as she was... given the venue and crowd....
BEFORE I bought my first V, I tested the V, and BMW GS1200, F800GS, and F650GS. The V IS the best of them all.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-17-2013 at 03:53 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Think it's going to be a yellow 2012. There are a couple of them around and I think I can get a very good deal. The 2011 I was looking at (at a dealer) turns out to have had major repairs, in addition to above-average miles per KBB, yet the dealer is asking significantly above KBB prices and doesn't seem inclined to budge. After taxes and fees, I'd probably save less than $1000 compared to a new 2012. There are some 2009s around too, but like the 2010+ bikes better.

The only other bike I seriously considered is the current V-Strom 650. The good thing is I doubt I can go really wrong with either, but when I look at myself hard in the mirror, the reality is that the slightly smaller, more street-oriented Versys is a better choice for how I'm likely to use it. If my needs do evolve to requiring some use on gravel roads (which is possible when touring in the west), that can be handled with tires and adjusting speed/style. Neither bike is really optimal for that kind of use as delivered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode