Considering a Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Considering a Versys 650

Got bitten by the gravel and light off-road bug while in on vacation in Chile, so now looking for a bike that can replace my trusty F800s for some light touring with a little dirt mixed in.

Hoping to get an idea of must-do mods and some of the more aesthetic add-ons that is should be looking for.

So far hoping to add the following to the bike:
Bash plate, engine and hand-guards, side-panels and beak, tool case, provision for electrical (GPS/phone power) and for extra on-board fuel (as compared to my F800s, the range is limited)...

Looking to the community for other suggestions to look at/consider...

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Without the California 'evaporative' canister I can get 5.3 USgallons in by filling well-into the neck, and I usually get from 56 to (sometimes... ) 62 mpg. That works out to about 296 to 328 miles to empty, though I would NOT recommend running the tank dry (fuel pump issues) except in an emergency. I carry a 1 gallon tank for "peace-of-mind" on long rides, and usually fill BY 250 miles....

How far does your F800 go on a tank?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I love my Versys and sure it can do gravel and light off road, but then again so can my 900 lb Voyager. The question is how fast do you want to ride the gravel and light off road. My Voyager maybe 30 mph. The Versys maybe 45 mph on the straights. A KLR650 65 MPH on the straights.

I don't consider the Versys an off road bike at all. I have a new riding buddy that likes to dual sport. Wishing I had kept my KLR, but am going to set up the KLX for more all day comfort and wire the GPS in.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM

What's wrong with the F800s? I'd think that it would only be slightly less off road worthy than a Versys.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I love my Versys and sure it can do gravel and light off road, but then again so can my 900 lb Voyager. The question is how fast do you want to ride the gravel and light off road. My Voyager maybe 30 mph. The Versys maybe 45 mph on the straights. A KLR650 65 MPH on the straights.

I don't consider the Versys an off road bike at all. I have a new riding buddy that likes to dual sport. Wishing I had kept my KLR, but am going to set up the KLX for more all day comfort and wire the GPS in.
Have gotten up to 70 on dirt roads on the V. Heavy gravel I'd want knobbys but normal road gravel is no problem on road tires. I've even done some trail carving on it. I regularly use it to get around the farm (fields, gravel tower road, some woody trails, tractor paths and some light stream crossing)

That being said I've had a very extensive background on dirt bikes, probably wouldn't recommend some of the more extensive offroad stuff on a V unless you grew up off road.

THAT being said I think a lot of people underestimate the versys' offroad potential.

Look up jdrocks, he has a couple neat full on offroad Versys builds. If I were regularly going offroad I'd install a fenda extenda radiator guard and a bash plate. Would also look into an exhaust that gives more clearance, stock one is basically a car muffler.

Good luck and Welcome!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
Got bitten by the gravel and light off-road bug while in on vacation in Chile, so now looking for a bike that can replace my trusty F800s for some light touring with a little dirt mixed in.

Hoping to get an idea of must-do mods and some of the more aesthetic add-ons that is should be looking for.

So far hoping to add the following to the bike:
Bash plate, engine and hand-guards, side-panels and beak, tool case, provision for electrical (GPS/phone power) and for extra on-board fuel (as compared to my F800s, the range is limited)...

Looking to the community for other suggestions to look at/consider...

D
The problem with bike design is the design elements that make a good dirt and gravel bike often harm pavement performance and vise versa. The Versys is an excellent bike but not an excellent off road bike. Bottom line is the Versys is somewhere around a 95% mid size, sport tour bike with good performance in that domain and exceptional ergonomics in that domain and exceptional versatility. The other 5% is the ability to tackle smoother, dirt and gravel roads at slower speeds. If dirt gravel performance is more important than pavement performance you may want to look for a smaller, lighter bike with more suspension travel, softer springs, less damping, and more appropriate wheels and tires for off road use.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by twowheels; 04-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM

IMO the Verys is for riders with 32 inch inseam or less. anything over that a Vstrom might be better suited for you..Just my honest opinion..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
from all of us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode