Finally on a Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Finally on a Versys!

After more than a year of umming and aaring, I'm finally the owner of an almost new Versys. It is a 2008 demo model, with just under 9000k's on the clock. Built date in 2007...

Have only ridden it from the shop to work, and then back home, so far am quite impressed. I had an SV650 before this, and seat of pants the Versys seems quicker and happier to tip into corners. I'm rather vertically challenged (167cm) and don't weigh much (55kg) so I've got the suspension set on softest all round, and the front triple clamps dropped as far as they will go. Not ideal, but it'll have to do till I either find an OEM lowered seat (anyone have one to sell???) or I get my seat butchered lower. As it stands I can barely tiptoe both feet on perfectly flat ground, almost dropped the bike on the way home at the traffic lights! Another option is to lower the bike using Speedy's lowering kit, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Plans for the bike right now are a tank pad so I don't scratch the tank, H&B engine bars, a lowered seat of some description, and some form of top box and panniers, have not decided what brand to buy yet. And install a 12v socket somewhere so I can power my GPS. And permanently mount my Autocom unit.

edit: oh, and fix that annoying buzzing sound from the front fairing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM

congrats 4 ur new bike !
regarding the lowered seat, even if i had one, cannot be competitve regarding the distance
Quote:
oh, and fix that annoying buzzing sound from the front fairing!!!
when i asked this question about this well-known problem ; my local seller answered : "on the 2009 model, the prb no more exists"
i'm suspicious ...
any feedback about this from the 2009 model owners of this board ?

Last edited by ara80; 02-05-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: do not hesitate to correct my bad english ^^
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM

I have installed Speedy's lowering link AND have a lower gel seat. I really don't need both, but bought them at separate times. The gel seat lowers the bike about one inch and is comfortable for my butt. The lowering links are great and do not detract from the bikes handling. In fact, it probably enhances handling slightly.

My two cents is use the lowering link first, then decide if you need a lower seat. Links are a lot cheaper than a new seat unless you do it yourself.

Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

ara80: Found a few brand new ones on eBay, shipping to Australia seems to be about USD66, which isn't too bad... But yeah, depends on how much someone would be willing to sell it for I suppose...

Gatorman: Ideally I don't like to mess with the bike suspension, and would prefer not to lose ground clearance - however from some quick reading around it sounds like Speedy's kit doesn't affect handling (and some people like yourself actually say it makes it better!), so the only downside would be a loss of clearance...

One of the things I like about getting a lowered seat (or getting my stock seat lowered) is that the pillion would be perched higher in relation to the rider. My partner is quite short (shorter than me!) and on my SV she couldn't see anything in front of her as her eye level is about level with my shoulder. Also the stock seat doesn't appear to be all too crash hot in terms of comfort, so getting it lowered also = getting it resculptured, hopefully making it more comfortable...

Had a second look at Speedy's site and going by current exchange rates getting my seat lowered costs the same amount as getting the lowering kit. Might do the seat first, and if it's not enough get the kit too. Bikes can never be too short
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM

Not to worry ara, I have an 09 and the fairing buzzed like a kazoo from 3k on up the tach...Prob was easy to fix thanks to this web site. Added a twist to the repair and added a dab of silicone caulking along with the foam tape... Now all I hear is that Beatles song I can't get out of my head...Obla de Obla da or something like that.

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

12v Merit socket installed, GPS mount installed, Autocom installed, H&B crash bars installed, it's getting farkled up! Next on the list is a lowered seat, rear rack and top box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode