Greetings from Oregon! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greetings from Oregon!

The dealer told me I was only the 2nd person to purchase the Versys in Eugene. Hopefully, I won't be the last!

My first bike... read all the articles, talked to many experienced riders and researched all the specs before deciding on it. Plus, it helps to read forums like this one where everyone (including our friends in Europe and Canada) really like this bike!

Only have 50 miles on it thus far (just bought it two days ago, and have been shopping for clothing, helmet, boots, etc. gimme a break!). Quite the investment but I've been having a blast thus far! Rode it around the block as soon as I got it home, and one guy came out of his house wondering what kind of bike it was... he liked it!

I ordered the OEM saddle bags, trim kit, and tank pad. Will probably get the U-lock soon too. I'll get some pictures up when I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM

It's great to have you with us on the forum!

It can really be a rush . . . and a confusing one, too! . . . when you first get your bike and all the new gear. For now, just enjoy breaking in the engine and cruising around on your one-of-only-two such machines in Eugene. You'll get around to taking pictures once things calm down a little bit.

Happy Riding,
Kevin
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Welcome!

Oregon, Where's That?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Paladin, that's what I thought about Chicago when I went to college in Milwaukee...

Another note that I've stumbled on about the bike - it seems to shift much smoother the closer I get to 4000 rpm. While I haven't breached it yet in my break-in period, I touched it multiple times tonight before shifting. The engine seemed to like that so much better.

Any thoughts on proper shifting rpms for flat ground?

Last edited by nvoelsch; 05-08-2008 at 12:20 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

First "out of town" ride. Went from Eugene to Corvallis (Duckland to Beaverland) and back, through the back roads along the coast range. Kept the bike right at 4,000 RPM - that kept me at about 55-58 mph. Very light traffic, so I could focus on learning the bike.

Stopped at William L. Finley Wildlife Refuge to try the bike out on a gravel road. Kinda squirlie. Put on 120 miles this morning, weather was cloudy and cool, a little wind and damp air (it had rained earlier, but the roads were dry).

Took a couple of pics pre-accessorized, share one here:

OEM tank pad and trim kit for the saddle bags came in; still waiting for arrival of the saddle bags. Ordered hand shields and mirror extenders from twistedthrottle.com last night. Still considering the extenda-fenda and rear hugger, but will get there as funds become available. My dad's gonna weld me together a flat foot out of aluminum. I'll have it powdercoated black.

More to come...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

75+ mile evening ride last night, barely made it back before dark. Went west into the coast range mountains. Nice ride, lots of curves (I still need to work on those). Hit some gravel on a corner and got the blood pumpin for a sec. Lots of bugs, thankful for the face shield.

Will hopefully take it all the way to the coast this weekend.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
75+ mile evening ride last night, barely made it back before dark. Went west into the coast range mountains. Nice ride, lots of curves (I still need to work on those). Hit some gravel on a corner and got the blood pumpin for a sec. Lots of bugs, thankful for the face shield.

Will hopefully take it all the way to the coast this weekend.
Great pics and weather looks nice this bike just grows on you, the more you ride it the more you want to keep riding, just have to fit it around work and weather I guess. keep us upto date on your latest rides,,
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Welcome! The V sure is a blast isn't it? I've only had mine about a week. I'm still ordering the accessories as well.

-Alan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Wow, that "Suislaw and Smith River Road System" sign is like something out of every Versys rider's fondest dreams! Curve after curve after curve after curve after curve . . . .

Thanks for the great pics. When you get it, post a picture of the flatfoot - and ask your father if he would like orders for one from about 100 of us out here who would like one, too!

Let us know, too, how you like the handguards from Twisted Throttle. I've thought about getting some, but I don't want to have to take off the stock bars. They fit me just right, so I'm looking for something will require a minimum of modification to the OEM setup. I really want the handguards for when colder weather arrives, since the ones I had on my KLR really made a difference by keeping the chilly wind from stripping all the feeling from my fingers.

Keep riding safely and happily . . . and keep showing us where you've been going!

Kevin
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 PM

I purchased my Versys last September from the dealer in Roseburg (I live in Eugene). They much better to deal with in my opinion.

Good luck with your Versys and I'm sure I'll see you around town.

West
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 AM

Good choice of bike!!!!

'15 DL1000
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
I purchased my Versys last September from the dealer in Roseburg (I live in Eugene). They much better to deal with in my opinion.

Good luck with your Versys and I'm sure I'll see you around town.

West
Any good rides you suggest around town? You've got a few months on me so far. Thus far I've been around Spencer's Butte a few times, Hendricks Park, Mt. Pisgah, Fall Creek Reservoir, out back on Lorane Highway and Territorial (up Wolf Creek to Smith River Road), up through Alpine to Corvallis and back down Peoria Rd. Just got back this weekend from going up and down 101 from Florence to Coos Bay. I hope they get 242 open SOON! That would be fun.

I keep looking for reasons to ride this bike, but also don't want to do too many trails twice!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

New installments on my V are attached for your viewing enjoyment. The flatfoot was made by my dad after looking at a couple of pics, and I had it powdercoated semi-gloss to match the stand.

Also, was riding around town last night and a BLUE Versys flew by me in the opposite direction. We were both in heavy traffic and didn't notice each other - I noticed at the last second, and tried to weave through traffic to get headed the other direction to give chase. Unfortunately, never saw it after that.

Dang! Hopefully the guy reads this forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amber Markers.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatfoot.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Givi Windscreen.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	181  

Last edited by nvoelsch; 06-17-2008 at 11:57 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Nice job on the kickstand... I wonder if the police "could" give you grief about forward facing amber lights.

BTW, if what you saw was truely a blue Versys, too my knowledge they only exsist in the Canadian market.

Ride safe
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Nice job on the kickstand... I wonder if the police "could" give you grief about forward facing amber lights.

BTW, if what you saw was truely a blue Versys, too my knowledge they only exsist in the Canadian market.

Ride safe
Forward facing amber lights are illegal? Where you from? My Silverado has forward facing amber lights (it's dark here and I went outside and turned it on to check!) Is there something special with motorcycles?

I tried my hardest to get around traffic and try to catch up to the blue Versys guy. I talked about it at work today and my boss seems to think it could be a Canadian in town for the Olympic track trials in a week or two here. I'll keep searching!

Oh, and hard bags came in today. Took an hour and a half to install them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys Hard Bags1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys Hard Bags2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys Hard Bags3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	188  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
Forward facing amber lights are illegal?
Where you from?
Is there something special with motorcycles?
:Yes
:Alpha Centari
:Apparently, Yes

Check out http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=or
read the info under "Daytime use of Headlight"

Your bags look nice... are they the Kawi bags? How much?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

"and use of auxiliary lights allowed all hours of day as long as not of brighter intensity than headlight. All vehicle headlights must show a white light.) "

Page 16-56 of the Versys service manual describes these lights as "city lights". I'm assuming these to meet our definition of "auxiliary" lights in the law... the bulbs do nothing to assist the high or low beams...

Yes, the bags are from Kawi - I didn't pay close enough attention to the price of them - it was rolled up in the cost of the bike.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Versys

Went and test drove a Versys today in Woodburn. I'm getting closer every day. You Oregon guys need to try Nestucca River Road from Beaver to Carlton, you will be all grins....

Last edited by TAC650; 07-04-2008 at 01:36 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
Went a test drove a Versys today in Woodburn. I'm getting closer every day. You Oregon guys need to try Nestucca River Road from Beaver to Carlton, you will be all grins....
I've heard of that...good call. I'll have to check it out sometime soon! Looks like you can go down to Willamina and over, or all the way into Carlton. I'm gonna have to think about that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode