New Versys bought today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys bought today

New to this forum. Not new to motorcycles. Had a 08 ninja 650 R and traded for a 1600 classic but too big and heavy for me and not really my ride style. Had many bikes before as i am 61 yrs old going on 20. Wife and i traveled all over the US in younger years and both had our own bikes. Mostly BMW 1150 GS and Quota and a couple othe models and Moto guzzi's. Wife doesn't ride anymore so had a couple KLR's and can't touch with a 30" inseam. Loved the 650R motor so saw the lowering links and just traded for a brand new 08 Verseys with 0 miles from the dealer. Deal i couldn't rufuse. Had been thinking about a V strom 650 but i know how much i liked the power of the 650R. Very nice motor. Just relate more to the GS and Versys upright rideing style. So nice to have input from all of you. Is what made my choice today. Cold here in Iowa but think spring. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard & congrats on the bike!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you, helped make my decision

Thanks to everyone here on all the input on the Verseys. I didn't realize it could be lowered to my 30" inseam with the links. Always liked the GS style ride and kept looking at this bike and wondering how i could ride it. Made my decision for this bike and not a v stom 650. Loved the motor on the 650 R i had but just not the sportbike style for me. Information here that i could not have found otherwise. Thanks guys

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
Welcome to the pack, hopefully if all pans our in March I will be along with the ride with you.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 PM

WELCOME: clap:

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Welcome Deano...What color? I'm guessing blue...Way cool...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Hi Deano,

Welcome to the forum. I am only a 29" inside leg and get on ok with the V, can't quite get my feet flat on the floor.

Regards Dave
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Is encourageing that someone else can manage with the short inseam. I used to manage on a bmw 1150 GS and had two KLR's but am older at 61 now and not quiet as agile and strong as i was back then. Did order the lower kit from Speedy so debateing on putting it on. Just don't want to loose the suspension to any degree. Is one reason i like this type of bike. Thanks for the input, Dean
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Welcome to the group and if you ever get to Dallas, give me a call and I'll fill you up with great BBQ and beer.

I have a 28" inseam and with Speedy's lowering block I can almost flat foot the V. It makes me feel much more secure when I'm not on tip toe.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Welcome aboard. We're all thinking spring in New England, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM

u made a great chioce !!......i installed speedy's lowering block's..also drop the front forks...i can now flat foot the bike...now it's more comfortable...dont see any differance in handling....also have speedy's peg lowering kit, not yet installed.....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I am 5' 8" with a 29" inseam. Do you think i will also need the peg lowering kit also with the link? I did ride the 650R with no problems if that helps. My problems always came from the cruisers i had and my short legs being stretched out and bad position for my tailbone. Never thought about he pegs. No trouble knees being bent if that helps. thanks guys
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

To Dallas Don

Hey i see you are also a 68 TET survivor. I made it through that mess as a combat medic. Am a disabled vet now from cancer from the all the Agent Orange in a area down south. No voice and talk with a device and cancer is not curable so i live my bucket list and enjoy each and every day to the max. Had maybe 25 bikes in my years and enjoyed each one for what they were. Looking foreward to the Versys and all you guys that help. Motorcycle rides take all my worries away and into a great place i enjoy. Ride almost every day i can in Iowa, weather permitting. Just shows what an old 61 year young guy can still do if his heart is in it. Nobody see's under a full face helmet to see an old man acting like a kid with a big smile on his face. Thanks guys
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Contractor- I got the red one that was 08 new as a leftover from the dealer. Wanted a 09 blue but he made me a deal on my classic 08 1600 i couldn't rufuse. They don't sell well in this area and he wanted it out of his inventory. Doesn't even have an ordered for 09. Does match the red secca i also drive. It was my best friends and he died of cancer so i ride it and think of fond memories of all the US we traveled together. Wife wasn't too mad on this trade as i actually got money back. Never had that happen before. Thanks to all of you i figured how to lower it and will do so when i get speedy's kit. Great bunch of riders

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Welcome Deano, from a transplanted Hawkeye.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Deeno/Dallasdon -

Thank you for your service and your sacrifices.

Warm regards,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode