15K Miles Later I Find You Guys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post 15K Miles Later I Find You Guys

WARNING: Wall of Text, TL;DR at end

I've been riding motorcycles since I was very young, because my family owned a farm in the middle of nowhere eastern Washington.

From the age of six or seven I spent lots of time riding a PW 50 around the dirt roads of my neighborhood. At the age of ten, my dad picked up a small quad (Kawasaki Bayou 220) which I of course graduated to and proceeded to tear up the neighborhood. By the age of twelve, I was really good at talking my neighbor into letting me use his 100.

This is about as far as I got, because although I also grew up driving trucks, I discovered cars. Dad taught six year old me to drive a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Manual, but once I realized they make vehicles other than motorcycles that could be used for something other than work, I of course fell in love.

When I started driving, I got a 98 Ford Contour. Despite the fact that it was sluggish as hell, I still loved and babied that car. Fast Forward to today, I love and Baby my '03 Passat, and shes delightfully more powerful and a hell of a lot better to drive than my first car.

Before I fell in love with my passat, however I was in a tight situation. This is how I came upon my Versys.

My older brother gets a job over summer at the UW, and my summer job is in Idaho. One car... I need a vehicle, and dad refuses to chip in to pay half of a decent car, so I spend the $5k I have on the only thing I can afford. It was the summer of '09, and I bought her used with less than 1000 miles. The first owner had broken her in for me, and decided that he was looking for something different.

Love at first ride. I've had a couple incidents with her over the years, but 15,000 miles later, I'm still loving her.

At one point I had the severe misfortune of being victimized by a suicidal deer. Yes, I hit a deer on a back road of eastern Washington (although I did avoid the other two) and made venison jerky on my radiator. Being covered in blood like that was... well, I'm never going to forget it. I kept the bike on its wheels, and only lost a couple fairings, and the front fender. Got away alive and with about $500 worth of superficial damage.

second incident, Me being stupid. I was cleaning the chain, and thought a rear stand meant that I could leave the engine idling so i wouldn't have to spin the wheel myself while spraying cleaner and wiping it away. Yes, my thumb went through the rear sprocket. I reacted fast enough that it was a superficial wound that made my pride hurt more than anything else. Quick trip to the Er, and I was good.

And I still love riding, even after losing the corner of my thumb and a delightful whiplash injury from making venison jerky on my radiator.

I can include photos of the thumb if You'd like. Yes, the first thing I did was think, "this is going to make an awesome story with photos" and took a photo (no, I waited for the ER).

and again, here I am, 4 years later, loving both my vehicles. My joining this forum is an attempt to give equal time to my two wheeled partner in transportation. Thanks in advance for all the help & being awesome.

TL;DR: long history with motorcycles, fell in love with cars, couldn't afford a car, bought a Versys, ensuing antics include blood and venison jerky, picked up a car because safety, fell in love with turbocharger, feel bad about neglecting Versys, join here to baby my other vehicle, you guys are already awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Never had deer jerky....but its sounds tasty.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 AM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM

WELCOME...please DONT post pics of the thumb.

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM
MTS

Have had a ton of deer jerky. Will take beef any day. lol

Lots of deer ordeals none on the V thank goodness!

Glad you are ok. . . V can be repaired!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 03-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Thorough intro

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
...15,000 miles...?

What took you so long?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode