Shopper in Seattle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Shopper in Seattle

Hey All,

Haven't committed to a Versys yet, but seriously in the market. I'm looking to do some more touring/multi-day rides in the future. And dreaming of Alaska...

For those in the know, how much difference between the first and second gen bikes ie '08-'09 and '10-?

Comments on two-up comfort?

I'm excited, this seems like a good community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Not much difference in the years.. Rubber mounts for the engine and cosmetic change. Most who have ridden both claim little difference in vibes.

I ride 2 up sometimes, and the rear is a little small and hard. I do have a rear trunk installed with a back pad for passenger comfort and that really helps! Some say that if you are going to ride 2 up mostly, there are better bikes.

The people here are the best!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Not much difference in the years.. Rubber mounts for the engine and cosmetic change. Most who have ridden both claim little difference in vibes.

I ride 2 up sometimes, and the rear is a little small and hard. I do have a rear trunk installed with a back pad for passenger comfort and that really helps! Some say that if you are going to ride 2 up mostly, there are better bikes.

+1 &

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
MTS

+1 &

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

Don't forget the big difference... They put GOOD mirrors on the '10+ that you can see something other than your shoulders

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcomes

Capn- I'll probably only be two-up on shorter rides and would definitely add a trunk/backrest to increase the sense of security for my passenger.

My searches so far are telling me used Versys values are considerably higher in Seattle compared to some other areas...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Garage
I live north of you, if you'd like a test ride .

Ride while you can
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrtcan View Post
Capn- I'll probably only be two-up on shorter rides and would definitely add a trunk/backrest to increase the sense of security for my passenger.
You should be in good shape then! I rarely take a passenger, but when I do, they don't complain too much about the seat.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
There you go pbrtcan!! Once you try it, you'll be hooked! All it took was a test ride at the dealership and the Versys sold itself. I bought it on the spot.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, Tom, that's a generous offer! I'll let you know if I get to that point. Appreciate it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM

Hey, I'm in Seattle Also. Graduating Soon so IDK for how long, but RIDE IN THE RAIN!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
I live south of you so if your down south your most welcome to test out a very fast burnt orange
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM

I'm in Tacoma, got a 2010 for sale in Alabama, can ship it up if you're interested.

Thanks,

Versysdude

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
""During the first period of a man's life the greatest danger is to not take the risk"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Here is a pic of two up with my 100lb son. Two weeks to Alaska was a little tight but not bad. Did a 9 day trip with my wife with no issues either.

My thoughts are that if you plan on this being a 2 up touring bike you should look for something bigger. If you are looking for a fun daily rider that can multitask this is a great choice.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Here is a pic of two up with my 100lb son. Two weeks to Alaska was a little tight but not bad. Did a 9 day trip with my wife with no issues either.

My thoughts are that if you plan on this being a 2 up touring bike you should look for something bigger. If you are looking for a fun daily rider that can multitask this is a great choice.
I do agree. If you want something that you can tour for hours then get a bigger bike. It's more fun!

-
Important Concerns in Academic Essay Writing

Some people say that accounting students do not have adequate writing skills.

Read more...

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildredR View Post
I do agree. If you want something that you can tour for hours then get a bigger bike. It's more fun! ...
As one who has done quite a few 10+ hour days on a KLR... IMHO the Versys is an "armchair"!!!

...a FAST armchair...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrtcan View Post
Hey All,

For those in the know, how much difference between the first and second gen bikes ie '08-'09 and '10-?
The real difference is just cosmetic. The gen 2 bike looks better IMO. Mechanically they are identical. The gen 2 bike has a flatter seat (less forward slope into the tank) and different rear engine mounts that are supposed to reduce vibration but I don't really feel a difference. As with any other parallel twin, if you keep you vacuum synched (annually), vibration is no different than any other modern parallel twin, that is it is detectable but not intrusive.

Some gen 1 bikes have loud vibration sounds coming from the front fairing but this is easily fixed with some double sided foam tape placed between/under panels, particularly the front dash panel over the speedo.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:10 PM

after several months of investigation...I shortlisted Vstrom vs Versys...Vstrom is big and comfy for two up on long distance trips but not really practical for cities and twists...I realized that while I love doing long trips (only during vacation) I still use the bike more for cities and short week end trip...hence I ended up with the versys which fulfills the two functions without mastering the long distance trips...good compromise and I never regretted my choice

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode