The Versys Wins - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Versys Wins

Hey guys, just bought a 2011 from a local dealer here (Utah, Slc area) they gave me the deal I was looking for after a lot of searching. I'm excited to start enjoying this bike after all of the positive feedback I have read on this website and other sources.

The Versys is the first Non-Cruiser that I have owned, I'm nervous but also excited for everything that the Versys offers in a bike that I haven't experienced with Cruisers. I started out on a V-star 650 custom, Then bought a Yamaha-Warrior 1700, and now I'm on the V! I had some questions for those who care to answer. Thanks for reading my first post

Whats your favorite aspect of the Versys?

How'd you break in your current bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Welcome!

I love the twin's low/mid torque yet ability to be revved and the bike's flickability and it's light weight and upright seating and reliability...you get the idea!

Motoman breakin (there are threads all over the here and the net) and going strong with almost seventy thou on her.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM

I left the cruiser world when I bought my V back in 2010. Not going back.

BTW, My wife has a VStar 650 Custom now and it drives like a truck in comparison.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Garage
Welcome!

Favorite aspect: Versatility. Urban assault commuter hooligan sport touring dream bike.

Break in: I admit I followed the rules and kept the revs low and varied (almost always) for the first 1000kms.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Welcome!

I just came from a Vstar 650 custom as well! I just got my 2011 yesterday here in Minnesota and rode it home 8miles in 32F weather haha The Versys has at least x2 the get up and go! Do a hard breakin and change the oil within 20-100miles then again at the 600mile service. Congratulations on the new bike!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
MTS

F: Riding position and handling!

B: Open the gates and let her buck!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM

1. Weight and controllability (replaced a Honda ST1100).

2. I broke her in by the book because I wanted to eliminate break-in as a possible source should future problems arise. None did... But I felt good just biding my time getting through the break-in. It didn't take long.

Oh... BTW, you'll soon mourn all the time you spent on the cruisers when you could have been on a V.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the overwhelming response, I'm way excited to get this puppy on the road.

So I have $1000 in farkle money, opinion on what to buy?

I'm thinking a generic "bark buster" from cycle gear, its $50

Maybe a windsheild?

I'm going to use the bike mainly for commuting, but the occasional trip is in a sure thing.. the only For Sure thing is I need Luggage.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Replace the seat if the stock one bothers you. Many have said it's a world of difference. See many seat threads. I'm happy with Seat Concepts one. Others didn't like it and needed something else. Like anything, seat mod costs range from almost free to absurd.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Garage
Congratulations Sleven on joinng the V brotherhood ( and sisterhood ).

This bike is an excellent commuting bike and the occasional excursion beyond the city.
Its reliable and very easy to maintain and operate.

As for farkles, I suggest a windshield as this take lots of reading and fact finding to find a suitable one and it does make the ride better.
Luggage is a must as it makes it easier to store your notebook or other stuff when going to work.
Engine guards are a must.
Try to get some spotlights too as they can be used to increase your visibility for you and also increase awareness of other road users to your presence.

Enjoy the ride....woo hooo..
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and congrats.
$1 K is not enough for farkle fund.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
and congrats.
$1 K is not enough for farkle fund.

It's a start

Motowerk lowering kit if needed, BarkBusters, Crashbars, taller windshield if the buffeting bothers you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Welcome. I've never owned a cruiser but the ones I have ridden did nothing for me. The Versys is a great machine.

Before you start spending your farkle fund, ride your bike. See what it does the way it came to you and add things that improve your ride experience. That said, I have a couple suggestions.

If you're commuting, that may mean early morning or late afternoon rides (assuming you work the day shift). That can mean cool temperatures. Installing some heated grips would be worth considering. DualStar or Symtechs are inexpensive and effective. You can't leave heated grips at home, like you can do with heated gear you wear. (I have heated gloves and a heated jacket liner, too, but I'd start with grips.)

Also for the commuter, consider adding some driving lights to make you more visible. If you're commuting, you're riding when lots of people have their minds on their day at work or on life at home rather than on driving where it belongs. Be conspicuous.

My bike came with a Madstad adjustable windshield bracket, to which I added a RAM ball mount so my GPS sits directly above the instrument binnacle. It also came with Givi V35 panniers on Givi brackets. All great farkles.

The farkles I've done since improve comfort for long distance. I've had my seat upgraded by Spencer. I've added SWMotech crash bars, KTM hand guards, a Powerlet plug on the dash, a Givi tail bracket for my E52 top case, and (recently, still awaiting test ride) a Givi touring windshield.

I changed out the OEM front brake pads for EBC, which work way better IMO.

Search the knowledge base on this forum for other ideas and post up with your questions.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Welcome!

Favorite aspect: Versatility. Urban assault commuter hooligan sport touring dream bike.

Break in: I admit I followed the rules and kept the revs low and varied (almost always) for the first 1000kms.
what he said

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleven View Post
Thank you so much for the overwhelming response, I'm way excited to get this puppy on the road.

So I have $1000 in farkle money, opinion on what to buy?

I'm thinking a generic "bark buster" from cycle gear, its $50

Maybe a windsheild?

I'm going to use the bike mainly for commuting, but the occasional trip is in a sure thing.. the only For Sure thing is I need Luggage.
Luggage alone can be $1000 or more if you go the hard case route. for commuting I use soft saddle bags and a givi top case. I can still lane split and I can carry plenty.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
...I'm thinking a generic "bark buster" from cycle gear, its $50....
AND "crash-bars"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
...Luggage is a must as it makes it easier to store your notebook or other stuff when going to work.
Engine guards are a must....
Soft bags work well.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, just bought a 2011 from a local dealer here (Utah, Slc area) they gave me the deal I was looking for after a lot of searching. I'm excited to start enjoying this bike after all of the positive feedback I have read on this website and other sources.

The Versys is the first Non-Cruiser that I have owned, I'm nervous but also excited for everything that the Versys offers in a bike that I haven't experienced with Cruisers. I started out on a V-star 650 custom, Then bought a Yamaha-Warrior 1700, and now I'm on the V! I had some questions for those who care to answer. Thanks for reading my first post

Whats your favorite aspect of the Versys?

How'd you break in your current bike?
Hey Sleven,

I too had experience on cruisers and almost went back to the dark side and bought a Shadow. Thank goodness I came to my senses and got the Versys; absolutely love the bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode