Experiences on Versys long distance? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Experiences on Versys long distance?

I'm liking what I see and read about Versys's handling and nimbleness, but I've haven't really seen any good writeups about what it's like for long distance riding—especially for taller riders (me, 6'3")

Any personal observations and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

- canoeten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Garage
I'm 6-4 and I feel the Versys fits me pretty well.

I got mine last August and it is my first bike so I don't have a lot of other experience to go on but:

-I did a lot of dry trips and one 2 day 825 mile weekend trip. This June I'm planning a 4 day, 1300 mile trip around Lake Superior.

-It is a personal preference, but most people do at least some modification to the seat, if not a replacement. I'm going to add an air hawk and maybe a little foam to level it out and then I think I will be good.

-Knee angle for longer rides seems to be good for me, but there is a way to add highway pegs if you like. As long as I can stretch my legs at stop light every now and then I'm good.

-When it is warm out I like the shorter windscreen. If it is raining or cold you will have to some figuring on what screen it will take to throw the wind up over you. I'm playing with that too, but not sure how much I want to spend due to the limited amount of use it will get.

-The biggest thing with touring on the Versys is going to be storage. I just picked up a waterproof duffle and saddle bags. As soon as the snow is gone I'm going to make a set of stand-offs to keep the saddle bags from sagging in when I tighten them down. I'll also be adding a rear rack.

Overall I think it works just fine, especially with no passenger. Long distance two up it might struggle a little depending on your riding style and expectations. Probably not as comfortable as say a Concourse or FJR, but it is a lot more nimble and fun in other scenarios and it still gets the touring job done well enough.

Hope that helps,

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 03-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
MTS

You can only go about a 100 miles and then you are out of gas.

Maybe search Motophyco he did the iron butt thing. 1500 in one road trip non-stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
did this ride recently on the versys, it was just over 4000km http://www.farklemyride.com/motorcyc...nd-ride-report
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Really???

Versys has a 5 gallon tank and even loaded I've been getting well over 40 mpg.

On the weekend trip I referred to above, I know I had over 200 on my trip odometer before I stopped, but that was also all 2 lane 55mph roads.
I know it drops at higher speeds but most of my 55 mph roads I've been getting around 50 mpg or a little better.

I still think you should get 150 to 175 without any problems even with an extra load and a little more speed.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 03-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" Had a Baldwin Seat on at the time and Motowerks Highway Peg Mounts w/Ricco Highway Pegs. The trip was a breeze............ http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15577

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM

I'm 6'1", 35" inseam.

Custom Corbin (2" higher, 2" back) plus speedys peg-lowering kit, highway pegs on engine guards. Givi windscreen with extension.

I travelled 4k miles in Oct. 2011, going to Alaska (likely) this summer.

I've gone 250 miles on a tank, BTW. I also have a 1.5 gal. Kolpin additional capacity.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM

5'8" here... I did a 19 day ride last July... 5600 miles... No Interstate mileage... Camping most nights...
Stock windscreen...
Stock seat (with an Airhawk pad)...
Pretty much stock everything.
Speedy's Flatfoot...
Happy Trail panniers...
Overboard waterproof duffel on the passenger seat...
Small top box...

I was in no rush and consistently got 50 to 60 mpg at an easy pace.

Had a ball... Even with the unplanned flat tire on the way home.

I've done a few 1000 and 1500 milers with the same setup... I got in the low 40 mpg on those trips due to faster speeds.

I would never give a second thought to hopping on and heading out. I keep her ready for the long ride at all times.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 03-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

Haha!!! Did you get your V and your ol' KLX250 mixed up??
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM

6-3 here as well. Have done lots of long rides including a saddle sore 1600 IBA ride. Made a seat pad and the bike was great.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM

Highly recommend the Airhawk Seat Cushion for longer rides. Longer than 30 minutes planned, mine comes out of the trunk! Really saves the ol' behind. Properly inflated per instructions (very little air with your butt almost touching) and it works great.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Highly recommend the Airhawk Seat Cushion for longer rides. Longer than 30 minutes planned, mine comes out of the trunk! Really saves the ol' behind. Properly inflated per instructions (very little air with your butt almost touching) and it works great.
+1 - I've been keeping mine on the seat 24/7... Even for the short rides.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

6'-3" here. I did peg lowers, just got my seat back from having Spencer mod it, and added crash bars with highway pegs. Should be set for several long days in a row now.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 AM

6'1.5" here.
Have done a number of 1700~1900 km days (1,000 ml +), started with sheepskin seatpad, now the new R-Airhawk.
3 Pelican cases, and the Must was Speedys Peg Lowering Kit.

And survived a 110 lb 'Roo! Bent bashplate, dead 'roo....

Bill
and I still have the now-20 y.o. Triumph Tiger 900.

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM

I've done lots of multi-hundred days and one 700 mile day on my Versys. I had a small touring screen that came with the Madstad from the PO. (It was actually a VStrom windshield.)

I think the upright posture on the Versys is a key to the long distance comfort. Spencer has reworked my seat which makes a big difference, too.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM

I do regular 1200 km plus rides in a return day trip. They are mostly tight winding runs linked together with fast transports to the next lower speed section... Air hawk works well too. Not powerful but an economical, fun bike that does the dirt sections well too.

Last edited by crow; 03-13-2013 at 06:35 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Hi Ken here well I am 5 10' with 29'' to 30" inseam and to bad knees and 50+ years old and the sitting position on the v seems a bit cramped so I put some forward cruising pegs up front and I do 1000 miles a day with out to much problem..Knees well they hurt no matter what...ENJOY I DO!!! ps I,am so glad to here some guy also say they do 1000+ miles a day on the v I opened up new member introductions with looking for riding companion who is willing to do long rides and I got a lot of less than positive input so I,am not the only guy who does it HURRAY!!!!!

Last edited by KenB; 03-13-2013 at 10:50 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Wow, great intel—and so fast too. Really appreciate it.

canoeten
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM

I was getting a sore backside and knee pain. Both have been cured with Speedy's peg lowering kit and a Bumbag4bikers bean bag for the seat.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Hi Ken here well I am 5 10' with 29'' to 30" inseam and to bad knees and 50+ years old and the sitting position on the v seems a bit cramped so I put some forward cruising pegs up front and I do 1000 miles a day with out to much problem..Knees well they hurt no matter what...ENJOY I DO!!! ps I,am so glad to here some guy also say they do 1000+ miles a day on the v I opened up new member introductions with looking for riding companion who is willing to do long rides and I got a lot of less than positive input so I,am not the only guy who does it HURRAY!!!!!

You're not alone Ken.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode