New owner in Central Texas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New owner in Central Texas

I picked up a 2009 Green Versys 650 from a dealer with 380 miles on the odometer. This is my first bike and is now my daily driver. I had a 2011 frontier pro-4x and just hated it after owning it for a year, worst mpg of any truck I have owned even with a v6. I love riding this little beast and can't believe I waited this long before taking the MSF and getting my license. I have put almost 400 miles on the bike in my first week of ownership. I got a 2 year warranty and a tire plan that includes 4 free tires so I plan on riding the crap outta this thing rain or shine!

I have already completed my 600 mile maintenance. Checked over all lines. Changed the dealer oil for Rotella 5w-40 syn. Cleaned/lubed the chain. I will go verify all major bolts are properly torqued this weekend and anything else listed in the 600 mile maint. I plan on lubing the clutch/throttle cables in the next week since who knows how long the bike sat before I bought it. I guess i'll probably throw some lithium grease on everything that has a hinge/pin/joint/cup for the same reason.

The dealer was nice enough to throw in some puig frame sliders, I should be picking those up tomorrow. I have a puig rear tire hugger coming in as well as spools/stand.

Absolutely love the bike, its very comfy for someone who is 6'4 and the engine is torqy enough for noobs like me to ride in the lower rev range until they break it in and feel comfortable with 9k rpm shifts

I'm also collecting gear, i have a helmet/jacket/back and chest protector/glove/boots. Still trying to find pants that fit well enough with protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 AM

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Ordered a Puig hugger for my 09 when i first got it. Was going to be a pain to install. Sent it back and got a PowerBronze hugger simple install.

010 by weljo2001, on Flickr

007 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 PM

What's a Puig hugger do?

~you must be the change you wish to see in the world~Gandhi

~ride your heart out, that'll change something.~
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxciz View Post
What's a Puig hugger do?

A hugger keeps things cleaner and dryer by stopping the crud and water thrown up by the rear tire.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM

oh, so it is in addition to the rear splashguard: cool!

~you must be the change you wish to see in the world~Gandhi

~ride your heart out, that'll change something.~
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxciz View Post
oh, so it is in addition to the rear splashguard: cool!
Correct, Below is a better photo...

P5010176 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

The puig's instructions were horrible but I got it installed in about 30-40 minutes in the dark using my cell as a flash flight. I also installed my puig frame sliders in the dark.....hopefully buying a house in the coming months.

I broke 1000 miles in 2 weeks of ownership woo hoo. Just cleaned and waxed the chain for the 2nd time and have finally wrung out the motor to 9500ish a few times 1-2-3 gear.

When I first started riding the bike (my first moto and picked it up 1 day after passing the msf) I thought "OMG its so fast" (4k rpm max) then after 600 miles I thought "wow this thing is pretty pokey slow" (6k rpm max). Now that I have purposefully been making sure that i'm always in the power band around town (4k+) at a tad over 1000 miles my opinion is now "GD this thing is Fing fast". I have been really working on smoothness upshifting and properly downshifting to maintain torque appropriate for the road/situation.

When I started riding it I was treating it like a car and keeping it low in the revs 2-3k only. Now I would probably average 4k-5k before shifting in phildo-encono-mode and cruise at 4k. When i'm feeling like having fun I will cruise closer to 6k and shift at 8-9k. I noticed my mpg went from 32 to 36 to 41 to now somewhere in the 40's.

SO MUCH FUN
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
MTS

Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
A hugger keeps things cleaner and dryer by stopping the crud and water thrown up by the rear tire.
Mr. weljo, where did you get that one? It was expensive right?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM

happy days . my bike comes from Texas and is also green and 2009 . safe riding all the way from South Africa
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Phil!

Mr. weljo, where did you get that one? It was expensive right?

Got it at www.superbikestore.com It was close to $150.00 i think you can get a better deal on ebay though. I like the looks plus it keeps thre rectifier nice and dry.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Got it at www.superbikestore.com It was close to $150.00 i think you can get a better deal on ebay though. I like the looks plus it keeps thre rectifier nice and dry.
Here's what I did for a TOTAL CO$T of $2 - to do BOTH my Vs! A piece of conveyor belt, and the last pics show how clean the rectifier is after riding some mud....

Ain't as 'trick' as a hugger, but WAY-Y-Y cheaper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06440.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	17681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06441.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	17689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06442.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	17697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08592.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	17705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08594.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	17713  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode